Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/244/140

Default Please look at my menu

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this board but I have been counting calories since February 2. I am down 17 lbs. I also go to the gym 3x week, I would like your opinions on a typical days diet. One of my problems is I work 2 days/week from 9am-7:30pm. I have to pack my breakfast and lunch but I do not eat dinner until 8pm at the earliest.

9am 1c Special K w/red berries
1/2 c fat free milk

1pm Salad-field greens
peppers, onions, celery, almonds
2 tablespoon dressing- Ken's Steak House healthy
1 cup strawberries

4pm-snack- quaker delights 90cal chocolate drizzle

Dinner: brown rice
grilled chicken
green peppers, red peppers, onions, cilantro
corn
black beans
MdTerrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #2  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Do you know how many calories all of that adds up to? I would guess from looking at it, that you aren't getting enough calories, but that is just me. It looks fairly balanced, but I think you need more protein. I will be interested to see what others say.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/142/125

Height: 5'3

I agree it doesnt look like you are getting enough. More protien, fruits and it doesnt look like your getting much fat either. Plus if you work out on those days your calorie count should be higher. You dont want to starve yourself or it will backfire and you will binge. I log all the food in at mydailyplate.com and they tell me how many calories I need weather I work out or not. It keeps track of all my other things too like protien, fat, calories, sodium ect.
butterflywings34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #4  

Sorry I forgot to add that I also put grilled chicken on my salad and that I usually have 2 wasa light w/ 1 wedge laughing cow cheese.

Thanks,
Karen
Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #5  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

I have to say, it looks all right to me. Do you feel that you're getting enough to eat? That is, do you feel hungry constantly, or just occasionally, right before you eat? I'm guesstimating here at your daily caloric intake and it looks about like mine. Is this a TYPICAL daily menu, or an actual daily regimen? Because variety is crucial if you're going to stick with healthy eating.

Some people on this site have said that adding maybe 100-200 calories more per day actually boosts their weight loss. Maybe you might try that for a while, and scale back only if you hit a plateau? You don't want to fight the battle with your entire arsenal all at once, you know what I mean? Save some tricks for later when you need a jumpstart, so to speak.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #6  

I usually don't feel hungry until right before I eat. This is not regimented and I do change it up. Somedays I might have tuna on wheat or other things.
I have also cut out all sodas and only drink water now.

Thanks,
Karen
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #7  
Don't turn back.

S/C/G: 262/(ticker)/153

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like you're doing an excellent job.
I don't think you need much help. You might want to get some extra calories if you start getting hungry or start working out more, but it looks like you're getting a healthy, balanced intake of food.
munchievictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #8  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I would add in 2 snacks per day filled with more protein and good fats. like maybe some string cheese and a couple slices of apples, or a bannana and some nuts, or a table spoon of peanut butter on half a whole wheat English muffin... laughing cow cheese on some wheat crackers.. or cottage cheese or yogurt... but other wise it looks great!!! very balanced! good for you!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #9  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

That breakfast is pretty small and lacks protein. But perhaps that is just my personal opinion.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

17 lbs in 38 days? That is 3.1 lbs a week. That is almost too fast to be healthy. Are you worried it's too slow? It's probably healthier to shoot for 1.5 to 2 lbs a week.

Last edited by recidivist; 03-11-2009 at 01:52 AM.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

I'd change out the Special K for a cereal that is higher in fiber. And add some fruit at breakfast...maybe a clementine; they have Vitamin C, are yummy and juicy and are small, so they are not calorie-laden. Before you added that you put chicken on your salad, I was going to suggest adding more protein.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/181/160

Height: 6'0

I was going to say if anything you are lacking, its protein, but i think since you put chicken on your salad you are ok.
i also agree with the pp that maybe switch up your cereal for something a little more nutritional. Maybe a fiber cereal and fruit, or oatmeal and cottage cheese.

Of course if you start working out more, i would add more food/calories. You are losing quite quickly right now and that is bound to slow down , i wouldn't recommend you go any lower calorie wise than you are right now.
wantingtolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 328/273/170

Height: 6'2"

One suggestion I have for the nights when you have to eat late is try having more of your calories at lunch. I always work till 6:30 and then hit the gym straight after work, so if I wait to have dinner its at like 8:30 in the evening. It worked okay intially, but my weight loss stalled. I talked to my doctor and she suggested eating dinner before the gym, or having a bigger lunch and a really light dinner. Its been harder, but I've switched to doing that spending a bulk of my calories at lunch and snacks through out the day, and only eating maybe 300 calories for dinner. Lost 3.5 lbs since I made that change! But otherwise it looks good, probably just add more snacks to keep the metabolism going.
Erin2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #14  

I would say you need more protein at breakfast and lunch. I might even add a little cheese before I ate those quarter thingies, maybe a half ounce.
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote