Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default Pot Lucks and Being Good

I went to a pot luck today and I manage to stay within my calorie limit. Of course it is very hard to say how many calories I really had due to the home made foods. But the meats were name brands so those were easy to calculate.
I brought Caesar salad with light dressing for the folks that are watching their diets (regular Caesar for the ones that weren't) and fruit salad to the pot luck so I could have something to eat.

When making my plate I was choosy about the things I got. I was especially choosy of the things I knew were going to be high in calories, I only got just enough of it to have a bite or two. I even went back for seconds on a couple of things and I was completely fine with it. Like I said I had to estimate so I added an extra 300 calories for the "just in case it had more calories than I thought" calories.

So basically I loaded up on the salad I brought and was picky about the other stuff, and I had fruit for dessert while everyone else had brownies, pie and cake.

The thing that was different this time that was not different all the other times at the pot luck (or even buffets) is I felt no pressure. I didn't look at the spread of food like it was overwhelming and scary. I also didn't go in there starving and ready to eat everything in sight.

It pays to have a plan of action. My plan today was to eat very light for breakfast and lunch so I could eat some of the goodies for dinner that I wouldn't ordinarily get to have. It was so nice to eat something and not feel guilty about it. Although I still feel some guilt but I think that it is ingrained in me from all the years of not being able to have this and that. But I kept reminding myself that it was OK.

I also exercised more today than I usually would to burn any extra calories that might sabotage this thing for me.

All I can say is I had a great day and My day was not spent worrying about food and what I was going to eat at my next meal. But instead I could focus on the important things, like fishing with my daughter and her little friend. Talking to people I have not seen in a while. Playing with our little puppy and watching other people as well as myself and my family have a wonderful time.

hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 183/172/140

Height: 5'5''

Sounds as though you made wonderful, healthy choices and most importantly you had a wonderful, memorable time.
shrinkingviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:26 AM   #3  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

My problem at potlucks is the social pressure. People are always like "OH! Did you try my/Bob's/Bosses butter battered twice fried lard in High Fructose BBQ sauce? OH! You have to try it!"
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #4  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinny View Post
My problem at potlucks is the social pressure. People are always like "OH! Did you try my/Bob's/Bosses butter battered twice fried lard in High Fructose BBQ sauce? OH! You have to try it!"
That made me LOL but sad all at the same time cause it is sooooooo true!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:04 AM   #5  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingviolet View Post
Sounds as though you made wonderful, healthy choices and most importantly you had a wonderful, memorable time.
It was a really great day!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 AM   #6  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

great job! Planning makes a world of difference. I also try to take along something I know the calories for to make sure I have something healthy to eat, but then I'll try little bites of other things that look interesting (and healthy). Usually the desserts are at a different table for our church potlucks so I don't have to even look and be tempted, but last time, they sabotaged me and put trays of the desserts on the dinner tables-aaaaack! I just sat at the opposite end and fortunately, now I get full so quickly, I didn't even want any of their "treats"!

Keep up the great work!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/190/150

I find that it's always difficult if there is alcohol.... after a beer I'm more inclined to "pick" away at the food. So I try to stick to diet soda at these things.... and to stay away from the "butter battered twice fried lard in High Fructose BBQ sauces" LOL!!
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote