Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #1  

Question figuring calories for this homemade soup??

We are having company tomorrow night, and I wanted to make something that I can eat and enjoy with them. I needed to make a lot of food since I will be feeding 9 people, so I thought I would make a soup.
I know how to add all the separate ingredients, and to add all the separate calories, but my question is how do I know how many calories are in 1 cup?
That is the serving size I want to use for my bowl.
Here are the ingredients and calorie counts for each item......
"Taco Soup" Calories
Ground Turkey 960
corn 280
Black Soybeans 420
Kidney Beans 350
Red Beans 300
Diced Tomatoes 245
Crushed Tomatoes 280
Ranch Seasoning 80
Taco Seasoning 120
For a total of 3,035 calories for the whole recipe. Now I have a scale, so do I weigh the total once I get everything mixed up? But I want to know how to figure out how many cups. I would like to keep my serving under or around 300 calories. Anyone know how I can figure up how much I can eat

Thanks so much!!
Cathy
cathyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #2  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

I did this tonight. I actually measured it out cup by cup to see how many cups are in it. Since you are making soup you should be able to make it ahead so you can have time to count it. I have a huge measuring cup that measures 8 cups at a time. Or you could measure out a gallon of it, if there is that much there are 16 cups in a gallon, 8 cups in a half gallon, etc...
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Whenever I make a soup - I measure it into another pot or large bowl - cup by cup and count them. Then I divide the calories by how many cups the recipe made - there is my calories per cup.

For a casserole, I divide the pan into equal pieces and divide the total recipe calories by how many pieces I cut.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #4  

That makes sense, I was just wondering if there was a way that I could weigh it? If not I will start scooping

About the casserole, I was doing the same thing with Vitalicious Brownies. I even got a ruler to measure out the squares, so I would know that I was cutting them even. My kids think I have gone crazy!!!

Thanks
Cathy
Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #5  

I fixed the soup, and there are 13 cups for the whole recipe. Here are the calories if anyone wants to make it. It is VERY yummy, and filling.
1 Cup = 233.46 calories and 2g fat
I took out a cup at a time, to see how many cups were in the pot. It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.
Thanks everyone!!!
Cathy