Old 02-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #1  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

Talking OT: I'm going to Paris!!!

I've been saving money ever since I graduated from University in the fall for a trip to Europe, and my friend and I just booked our flight which leaves on the tenth of March from Toronto to Paris and then we're traveling to different Italian cities (Milan, day trip to Venice, Rome and then Florence, possibly also a day trip to Pompeii) and leaving from Florence on the 27th!

I'm soooooooo excited. Does any one have any advice for me? Things to avoid? Things to definitely see? Is the Eurail any easier to figure out when you get there cause the internet sites seem confusing.

Also, if any one has any advice on what to bring with me/what not to bring it would be great cause I'm a chronic overpacker.

Okay, I'm gonna go pace my house and squeel with excitement to myself some more!
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/Ticker/124-126

Height: 5'3"

YAY!! ive never been to Paris!
jahjah1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:49 AM   #3  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I was last in Paris in '99 with my hs so I'm no help there. Went to the Eiffel Tour, Louvre, Notre Dame, Seine boat trip.

I was just in Venice, Florence and Rome recently. I actually wouldn't recommend the Eurail pass. If I were you I'd fly from Paris to Milan and then buy individual train tickets. I bought one Eurail pass in Germany, it's way over priced. I felt it was easier to fly between cities or buy cheaper train tickets. Venice to Florence is only like 3-4 hours and the same for Florence to Rome. We were going to go to Naples/Pompeii too but I'm glad we didn't. There is so much to see in Rome, it's worth it to stay a few days. Traveling to Naples and back up to Florence will be a hassle, you have to go through Rome again.

I spent 7 days in Italy--two in Venice, two in Florence, three in Rome.

Some things to note: Food in cafes is more expensive if you eat in than if you get it to go.
Venice, Florence, even Rome are totally walkable. We took no taxis or public transportation except to the airport
Bring a guide book... incredibly useful! They usually have little maps in them too.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. Have fun!
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

paris is my favourite place in the entire world thus far. it's a BIG place though. if you only have 1 day there i suggest taking a bus tour. you can see all the major places and hop on and off as much as you want.

milan is not that inspiring a city but if you like culture then i suggest the museum of natural history assuming it's fully open now cos it wasn't when i was there a few years ago or when my boss was there last year.

in march it might be quite cold and wet so make sure to have a rain coat and a couple of sweaters with you just in case.

trains in europe are fairly easy to use. and everyone will be able to speak english - well pretty much everyone and anyone you ned to buy things from will do.

what not to bring? hmm summer clothes! lol
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

i can try and help with paris and florence but omg there are so many things i don't even know where to start!

can you tell me what sort of things you're interested in? maybe that'd help narrow it down a bit. what are your priorities? and how long do you have for paris?
florence prob isn't as hard. how long will you be there?
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

hope you have a wonderful trip....i don't have any advice coz i've never travelled much...........just to have the most fun you can possibly have and enjoy every minute of it! An old friend of mine teaches in England and she travels EVERYWHERE over there!!

Last edited by angelanicole23; 03-01-2009 at 11:34 AM.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:56 AM   #7  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I say you take the train even if it is overpriced for the romantic, see-the-countryside aspect. You should really check into the Eurail before you leave and try to figure it out, because I know sometimes it can be cheaper to buy tourist priced tickets before you get there.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like a ton of fun!!! I've only been to Ireland, but would love to see much more of Europe!
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #9  
shelby

S/C/G: 190/174/155

Height: 5'11

I haven't been to Paris but Italy is beautiful! You will have such an amazing experience; I am so jealous! There are so many things to see in all of the cities so definitely research and decide which you definitely want to see before you go. If you end up with the time, Pompeii is incredible and the ocean near Naples is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Good luck with your planning!!!
dcslm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #10  
work hard.

S/C/G: 197/170/155

Height: 5'9

A fun way to tour Paris is by bike...if you google fat tire bike tours, their website should come up. Their guides are really friendly and the ride is low-key and beautiful and full of information.

If you're interested in all the great museums in Paris, there are some great ones that aren't as huge, crowded and overwhelming as the Louvre. Musee de L'Orangerie (in Jardin de Tuileries) is lovely and small, Musee Gauguin is a great, mostly outdoor, museum, so a good place to go if the weather is nice. And Musee D'Orsay is pretty spectacular too.

It's an incredibly beautiful city. I'm super jealous of your trip! I hope you have a great time!!
icandoallthings6613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 231/ticker/165

Height: 6'1

Paris is the most beautiful city! Opera Garnier is beautiful, as well as L'église de la Madeleine. Not forgetting Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur. Oh if you do go Sacre Coeur there is a little artists square at the top of Montmartre, plus there is a little creperie where I go every time I visit!

Sooo jealous!
LucyFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Europe is amazing, make sure you have your camera with lost of memory space!!
One thing you need to have on all the time is wet wipes, an umbrella, tissue paper, and water cause you'll be doing a lot of walking! Make sure you're wearing really comfy shoes too!
By the way, if you plan on going to disneyland paris make sure you keep an eye on your stuff + make sure your wallet is somewhere safe. I got my wallet stolen when I went there but its good I didn't have much in it. The management found it later and mailed it back to me at home, my money was gone but amazingly my ID and cards were still in there.
Good luck & have fun!
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

the louvre is a 3 day visit in itself btw!
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #14  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I went to Paris last year on my honeymoon. I would definitely suggest a guidebook. I took cabs around the city and found it to be quite inexpensive. I would definitely recommend seeing the Jardin Du Luxoemberg (spelling?) as well as sampling some french pastry. My favorite was the chocolate croissant... The batobus is a fabulous way to see a lot of the most popular sites while travelling by boat along the sienne.

Have fun, I wish I could go back I miss it so much!
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #15  

Wow have a great time. I dont have any suggestions as I have never been but take lots of pictures!
KimberlyHeidi is offline   Reply With Quote