Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #1  
finding my balance...

S/C/G: 216.8/209.4/135

Height: 5'7

Question giving up pop.

I am having the hardest hardest hardest time giving up pop! I do it for like 4 days and feel fine, then it hits me like a brick and nothing else will do until I have a drink of that sweet sweet mountain dew! I'm trying, but I just can't live w/o it, so I've been using some of my calories on it a few times a week... I know its really bad for me, but I'm like an addict! Will this kill my "eating healty/losing weight" lifestyle?
tandifrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #2  
I will do this.

I gave up diet coke almost 2 months ago and it was HARD! But I put my mind to it!

I started drinking crystal light and then slowly started to ween the amount of crystal light I put into my water bottle and now I just drink plain water, tea or coffee.

I had an amazing drop in desire to snack once I gave up soda. It is totally worth it!

Keep it up!
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 AM   #3  
aml
...okay, so...

S/C/G: 200/173/150

Height: 5'7"

where in michigan is harbor beach?
aml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #4  
finding my balance...

S/C/G: 216.8/209.4/135

Harbor Beach is on the east side of the tip of the thumb
read: little tiny boring tourist town with one stoplight and no stores or fast food [thank god!]
tandifrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #5  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm having a hard time weening myself off of soda as well. Crystal lite and gatorade are good replacements (even gatorade has half the calories and sugar of normal pop). But it can be hard sometimes.

Crystal lite/gatorade with a little seltzer water can he nice too sometimes. Or La Croix or other carbonated water.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #6  
Meow

I can't completely give up pop.. i can do it for like 2 months then I must have the Pepsi!!!

I let myself have it once every two weeks so I wont go on a pop-drinking bender.. and it is only one pop in 2 weeks instead of 2-3 pops everyday

PS I AM VERY SURPRISED YOU SAY POP INSTEAD OF SODA!!! You mts live very close to the canadian boarder hehe
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #7  
Meow

mts = must! yay typing with cold hands!
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #8  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

meh, i think if you can keep it in your calories or switch to diet you don't have to live without... i would drink about 6 diet cokes a day- sometimes more. i think once my tastes changed from all the junk and stuff that i just don't want it as much anymore. but i still drink it when we go out to dinner (because nobody's water tastes good in restaurants) and have probably 1 every 3 days at home. if i still craved it every day i would drink it every day though...
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 150/143/115

Height: 61 inches

I don't think drinking soda is going to kill your weight loss, as long as you keep it in your calories and stuff. I heard drinking soda would ruin my weight loss so I stopped drinking it. I didn't lose anything at all just from that change alone haha. It's a lot more to it than that, that I don't think it's going to hurt you to have it. I just think about how nice it is I don't have to count my drinks as calories though... that's nice.

I'm also like corazonas, as I only drink soda when I got out to eat. Then you get it like, maybe once a week and it tastes so much better when you don't have it every day for some reason! It's like a refreshing, bubbly treat hahaha.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #10  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalikat003 View Post
PS I AM VERY SURPRISED YOU SAY POP INSTEAD OF SODA!!! You mts live very close to the canadian boarder hehe
I know they say pop in Minnesota and in really upper New York (like Buffalo), but it's all over the midwest. My cousins in Chicago say pop too.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Midwest Represent! haha

Try drinking diet pop. I went to a lecture the other day from a nutritionist, and she gave the schpeal on pop. Well - diet pop. It's perfectly fine in moderation. All the tests they did about the negative effects of aspartame were done on rats in huge doses. So if you want to switch to diet, it's just fine - just don't have 8 cans a day.

Also - she mentioned how diet pop can trigger craving for sweet foods in some people, and have zero effect in others. It doesn't do anything to me, but if you're like Taylor - it makes a huge difference!

Maybe switch to the all natural pop, found in the health food isle. I bit pricey, but better for you.

But if you allow regular pop into your daily calories, i don't think it'll kill you! I was googling fizzy drinks- and came across this article.

It mentions that drinking more sugary fizzy drinks increases your chances of pancreatic cancer;

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1108100540.htm

eesh...

I could never ever ever give up my diet root beer... yum.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #12  
Melting the lbs away

S/C/G: 185/154/125

Height: 5'2"

I was a pop addict for most of my life! SInce I've started dieting last month, I've been drinking sparkling water and don't miss pop at all. It has the fizziness of pop but it's 0 calories. So it feels like you are drinking pop even though you aren't. They come in flavors such as blackberry, strawberry, raspberry, grape, etc...I LOVE it.
Cruebratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

I LOVE coke!!! I started drinking soda water with sugar free flavoring- like the kind they use to make italian sodas (Strawberry, pomogrante(sp), etc) and then I add a little bit of skim milk.

It's so delicious and when I want an extra treat I had lite whip cream! YUM!

It has less calories than soda and I don't feel guilty having it
angelinelosesweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #14  
Sexy Fat Girl

S/C/G: 355/ticker/140-for the moment

Its really hard to give it up...I have not drank pop since October...it was hard at first but not any more...I went out the other night for V-day and I had a sip of my bfs pop and I just hated it...it was so too sweet...I have become a crystal light junky...I have it in my purse every day all day...(the little single serve packets) they satisfy my sweet but its not that bad for you. And if I am really craving something 'bubbly' I have ginger beer, or I love Love Love Orangina, it is sweet but sour and bubbly at the same time. Its hard at first but it gets better...and if its caffeine that you need...try drinking tea for a little while...the caffeine was hard to knock at first too...but I feel so much better for it...now if only i could stay away from chocolate when its TOM (sorry for being so long winded!) GOOD LUCK!!
sharpie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #15  
Frenchy

S/C/G: 198/198/125

Height: 5'4

Diet rite has nothing in it. It comes in alot of great flavors. I drink the tangerine for breakfast and it feels like orange juice. I loved my diet coke as well and I like the cola flavor.
frenchy2 is offline   Reply With Quote