Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Anyone get light headed?!

I have been doing induction for Atkins, and this is my second week. I have been between 20 -25 net carbs a day. I have noticed I get really light headed when I bend down and stand up again! (I do a lot of this during the day for my job) I was really nervous that today I might actually pass out!! I have also noticed in my food journal that I really don't eat all that many calories. I've been trying to eat more calories without going too high on the carb. count. I eat lots of veggies, fat and protein.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Also I'm not deliberatly trying to limit my calories. I don't really pay attention to them. But I started kepping track to see if that is the problem with the light headedness.
Kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 226/215/175

Height: 5'7"

are you drinking enough water? also try to eat at least 1200-1500 calories a day.
Willow324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:11 PM   #3  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Have you had your blood pressure checked lately?

I was on blood pressure medication & after I changed the way I ate & lost a considerable amount, I experienced some of your symptoms. This was a sign to my doctor that my medication needed to be adjusted downward. He measured my blood pressure lying down & then had me sit up on the examining table & measured it again.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #4  

I definately drink enough water, but I'm way under for calories! Oops! I just can't seem to get enough calories without going over on my carb. limit. I don't like a whole lot of different meats so I end up eating more veggies. I'm not hungry though. Is this bad? I mean if I'm not hungry I don't want to eat.

I have had my blood pressure checked and its normal. I think I need to find a btter way to increase calories.

Thanks for you help!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

You need an "orthostatic blood pressure" check not just a blood pressure check. Orthostatic is how saef had theirs done - plus a pressure while standing. Are you on blood pressure meds? Have you reduced your sodium intake (all those fast foods and prepackaged foods we are used to are sodium loaded and sodium increases blood pressure - so you may now have a lower pressure than usual.)

This faint feeling is actually common, although maybe not for you. I usually suggest my patients change positions slowly to allow their body to adjust to the positions. When getting up from laying down they should sit on side of bed a moment before standing. Perhaps you should work a similar step into your motions based on what you are doing.

I'm not sure calories is the culprit but if you want to up the calories here's my ideas. Try adding fats such as butter, plain or flavored oils, or maybe more cheese. There's dips and dressings for your veggies. Also, atkins shakes or eas low carb shakes can help. Then there's eggs - I keep a few boiled ones around to eat as is or toss in salads etc. Also as induction is ending for you (or would normally be so) soon consider adding a few calories from nuts next.

Last edited by Arkansas Kel; 02-19-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #6  

Well I don't take any meds for the blood pressure but I will keep the test that you mentioned in mind. I actually have felt better the last 2 days. I added a few more carbs to my day. I'm trying to stay under 30. I had 27 yesterday and 25 today. Plus I added some nuts and pumpkin seeds. I will also try to add more fats like you suggested!

Thanks for the advice I hope these canges will help with the light headedness but also still help me lose weight! I also tracked my protein to see how many grams i get a day. Today was about 95 grams. Should I be eating more protein?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 251.4/see ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Sounds to me that you are not eating enough calories. Can you please post how many on the average day you eat, along with posting your daily menu? Also how much exercise you get daily? weekly hours?
BabyPhat is offline   Reply With Quote