Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #1  
tripping along the path

S/C/G: 286/276/180

Height: 5'6

Default Not long enough?

Okay I started this little journey in January of 2009. For the last month I have been doing the "walk away the pounds 2 miles" exercise tape. I have had back surgery so I have to increase my exercise slowly. LOL I have already thrown my back out once from kicking too high following the tape.

My question is to do the two miles it only takes 30 minutes. Is this enough exercise time wise to see weight loss or should I increase the length of time I am exercising by doing the tape twice a day? Is 30 minutes a day enough to really lose weight? I am coupling it with a 1600 calorie diet. I have lost some weight but just want to do it safely and healthy.

Thanks for any help!
ladywinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

most dr's recommened 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 5 days a week. some say you need 45 minutes if you want to LOSE weight as oppose to maintaining but 30 minutes seems to be the recommended.

so, for me, i'd say you're doing enough. i don't know the programm but if it raises your heart rate and causes you to sweat for 30 minutes it's good for you!
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think 30 minutes a day is great if you're working hard. If you could easily carry on a casual conversation the whole time, I'd say you need some more intensity.

***NOTE - I managed to overlook your back surgery - I'd find out from your doctor what restrictions you really do and don't have, if you're just guessing about.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 02-19-2009 at 06:36 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

Just wanted to add that there have been studies that indicate that it doesn't have to be all in one period either...you can do ten minutes at a time several times a day and the results appear to be the same as far as weight loss and conditioning are concerned. That's good news for people who have medical reasons they can't work out very long, or just plain don't have the time to squeeze it in except a few minutes here or there.
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 AM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

if you can do an hour then i say go for it. if you could increase intensity that would be great but with your back it may not be safe at this time.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote