Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #1  
Health Nut Wannabe

S/C/G: 160/145/135

Height: 5'7"

Default The Dreaded ARMFAT!

I'm sure that I'm not the only one here with some extra arm fat, right? It's definitely my #1 problem spot. I have lost 15 pounds and I do 30 minutes of cardio (elliptical) at least 5 times a week and I lift weights very other day. Here's what arm exercises I'm doing...

3x12 Dips
3x12 Arnolds (8 lbs weights)
3x10 Concentrated curls (8 lbs weights)
3x15 Overhead triceps extensions (5 lbs weights)
3x12 Overhead Press (8 lbs weights)

I've been working on my arms for 3 months now. It is starting to seem that I will have fat/flabby arms even after I reach my goal weight!

My questions....
1. What could I be doing better?
2. What could I be doing different?
3. Should I continue to increase the weight I am lifting when the current weight becomes to heavy? (I started with 3 lbs)
4. Am I doing something wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I do notice a DIFFERENCE in my arms. When I flex them, the muscles are large and hard! When they're not flexed...they just dangle like the rest of the fat on my bod. What is up??

Thanks in advance!
Die2BHealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #2  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Well, lifting weights does not make your arms smaller. You can't spot reduce. Overall fat loss is what makes the arms smaller. And sometimes arms are STUBBORN. I know mine are. I haven't lost a single centimeter in my arms. Drives me nuts!

As far as what you are doing...Arnolds are debatable. Many people do them but others feel they can hurt your shoulders. I won't do them. I'm careful about my shoulders.

You could add in some pull ups if you have a machine to aid you with those. Also, some push ups are great. Start out modified if you need to and work your way up to regular. You could throw in a chest press. Ugh, I was thinking of something else and now it's left my brain. I'll come back and edit if I remember.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 01-30-2009 at 01:06 AM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/233/150

Height: 5'7

maybe mix it up a little. I do different arm/weight videos and somehow my arms are alllways sore after but in a good way. within a week i always see improvement in my jiggle.
Naughtymonkey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

"When they're not flexed...they just dangle like the rest of the fat on my bod. "

There's your answer right there, unfortunately.
If the muscle is hard under the skin then you're doing a good job.
It 's the looseness of the skin that, depending on your age (and you look young in your av) that might tighten up, or might not. When the skin has been stretched, sometimes it can't get back
I have the hanging under arm also.

Good luck
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I have the under arm hangin too. My bf looooovvveeesss to play with it. I don't!! I'm not expecting miracles when i reach my goal...but i'm hoping it won't be as noticable as it is now.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 PM   #6  
FB

Have you been using the same exercises/sets/reps/weight this whole time? Changing things up a bit now and then is always beneficial.

I've seen good results, personally, by splitting my upper body workouts down into muscle groups - a whole workout for biceps, one for triceps, another for shoulders and so on - just training each muscle once, possibly twice per week. Perhaps you're not giving yourself enough rest - rest is as critical as time spent doing. I train purely for aesthetics (yeah, I'm vain, I admit it!) - so isolation exercises work for me.

ETA: Oh, sorry - just saw that you did increase weights at one time.

Last edited by FB; 01-30-2009 at 12:19 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #7  
FB

Also, if it's fat you're talking, not loose skin - you need to lose that body fat before your arms will look lean. Strength training is awesome, I love it, it's my focus - but until I lost a considerable amount of fat my hard work wasn't as apparent. Keep doing what you're doing, just try out new variations and weights.

Cardio is great for your health - but I've recently started doing a LOT less. If I really push myself with the weights I am able to burn way a ton more calories than with the elliptical.

Last edited by FB; 01-30-2009 at 12:26 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 308/284/160

Height: 5'5"

Oh Lord! The dreaded 'batwings'. My upper arms are huge! I am hoping that once I get into a regular exercise routine they will magically disappear! LOL
lindalou0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I feel your pain! My arms make me so mad! I do weights 3-4 times a week and they are smaller but there's still a jiggle........sigh..........I just hope by the time I reach goal it will shrink up.

Good luck!
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Between my age, and the persistent loose skin, I think I'll never go sleeveless again.

I'm working my arms now to help myself carry heavy things and improve at certain yoga poses. I've just about given up on the aesthetics. Strong arms are all I want now.

I've given up on aesthetically pleasing.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote