UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:55 AM   #1  

Default Gok Wan's Too Fat Too Young

Anyone see this last night?

Was very moving. I have no idea what it would feel like to be in your teens (or 20s) and overweight, as I was sickeningly thin til I had kids in my 30s. But this programme gave me some insight. And I thought the point he made about people having to change their attitudes to obese teens, to break the cycle of bullying-bingeing- etc, was a good point well made.

What did yous think?
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #2  

I saw the last half as I was out at my class.

Gok was lucky to have lost that weight still relatively young. If I tried to lose that much weight at 49, I would be left with loads of skin.....

Also I thought the bit about eating slower was a good pint to make. I know I eat really fast. I could blame the wanting seconds mentality at school dinners or the competition at meal times to beat my dad to the last roast spud etc but mainly I am just greedy!!! My neice is one of those kids who takes ages to finish her meal but perhaps she has the right idea??? If she shovelled it down she would soon be as big as her mum or her Auntie!!!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:28 AM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

i can relate to the being fat young always been big since well as long as i can remember.i only saw the first half as i had to leacve for work. did it go into how he lost the weight ?
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6" (167cm)

He says he went on a dangerous crash diet and wouldn't recommend it. We've all done that at some point though, the difference is that Gok kept it off - something that seems to be harder than losing the weight in the first place.
dawnie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #5  

I thought Gok seemed an OK bloke with good glasses before I watched the show.

Now I love him. I was nearly crying a few times, and thought the information presented was very sensible and (as far as I know!) true.

It got to me a bit because I was a fat 13 yr old, then I lost LOADS to anorexia, and never got fat again, no higher than halfway in normal weight range. I was lucky to lose it early, like another poster said, even though like Gok it wasn't the healthiest way possible. He looks fabulous, I think.

I also liked it when he said he was obsessed with food. I remember what that was like and reckon its more common than everyone thinks.

Last edited by CousinRockingChair; 01-28-2009 at 01:15 PM.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/240/146

Height: 5ft7

I thought it was fantastic, really well done.

The girl he was speaking to at the end who said that she was picked on and punched in school because off her size really got to me.

I really liked the idea of the self confidence cycle.
katyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #7  
busty nerd

S/C/G: 210/206/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacock 2 View Post
Also I thought the bit about eating slower was a good pint to make. I know I eat really fast. I could blame the wanting seconds mentality at school dinners or the competition at meal times to beat my dad to the last roast spud etc but mainly I am just greedy!!! My neice is one of those kids who takes ages to finish her meal but perhaps she has the right idea??? If she shovelled it down she would soon be as big as her mum or her Auntie!!!
i eat very slowly (not deliberately, i always feel like i'm eating at a normal pace but everyone else is finished well before me...i usually can't finish the same size meal as whoever i'm eating with either) and it hasn't done me much good
froggie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

i eat very very fast. always have i guess its from boarding school the faster you ate the better choice of seconds you had. the gf will eat a carvery dinner in around 25 mins. i'll eat the 3 meats 5 spuds 2 yorkshires 2 stuffing balls 3 tablespoons of veg in just over 5 mins washed down with a pint of orange and lemonade
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #9  

Yep I am the same.

Particularly embarrassing when scarfing down a chocolate monkey from Thorntons one Easter - I did not notice what it looked like but saw it later in a shop window and realised I had eaten a similar one
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/238/150

Height: 5ft 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
i eat very very fast. always have i guess its from boarding school the faster you ate the better choice of seconds you had. the gf will eat a carvery dinner in around 25 mins. i'll eat the 3 meats 5 spuds 2 yorkshires 2 stuffing balls 3 tablespoons of veg in just over 5 mins washed down with a pint of orange and lemonade
at the toby carvery??

I work in one of those.....imagine the nightmare I have every shift with trays of the yorkshires and roasties and deserts everywhere, grrrrrrrr
abbe89 is offline   Reply With Quote