Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 144/140/125

Height: 5'4"

Red face Why am I not losing any more?

Hey all,
I started the Special K diet and went from Dec. 1st to about Dec. 23rd. I had gone from 141 to about 143 pounds. I stopped for Christmas because it was so hectic, then started again around January 3rd. Since then, I have been eating as healthy as possible. I was losing 2 pounds a week with exercise. Last week, I went from 141 to 139 then 139 to 137 pounds. 4 in a week? Yay! I was so excited! Then I went to work on Sunday (the only day I worked this week because I have cheerleading every day!) and I was bad. Real bad. I had 4 donut holes, a cookie, and a half of a bagel. I don't know why I did it. I just felt like I earned it, I guess. I should've just had 1 donut hole. But no, I had to try one of each kind. Then later that night I had a small piece of fudge. Couldn't resist. Chocolate is my weakness! Anyways, went back on track Monday and I went on the scale. I was back up to 141! How could this be?! I have been exercising almost every single day, and here's around what I have been eating:

Breakfast: Always one serving of Special K with a cup of skim milk. About 180 or 190 calories.

Lunch: School, so I pack.
- 1 serving baby cut carrots with 1 tbsp fat free ranch - 90 calories
- Dannon Activia Yogurt - 70 calories
- Applesauce - 90 calories
- Either Sugar-free Jello or sugar free pudding - about 30-100 calories depending on pudding or jello.
- Some days I substitute yogurt for low-sodium tomato soup (90 or so calories), or like today I substituted Applesauce for a small pita with a piece of turkey and half a piece of cheese (113 calories).

Snack: Usually a handful of mini rice cakes or some Craisins as I'm coming home from school.

Dinner: Varies, usually a low-fat Cottage Double (130 calories or so), or if my mom is making somethin I like (I'm VERY picky on my meat) I'll have that (usually chicken or soup) with vegetables.

If I'm still very hungry later in the day I have a rice cake with peanut butter or something of that nature.

Exercise: Cheerleading 2 hours a day 3 or 4 days a week. That's minimal exercise, in my opinion. I have been running/walking about 2 miles a day - which according to the Daily Plate, burns about 300 calories.
Also, 2 reps. of 120 regular crunches, 30 to each side, and 30 v-ups for a total of 420 crunches a day. I do this most days.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should or shouldn't be eating?? And also any exercise things I should adjust?

Thanks so much! :]
Ashley82290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I added up the calories in your daily meal plan above, and it came to less than 1200, even with generous estimates where calories were not provided. This is not enough food for you. It is particularly not enough food considering you're doing so much exercise (Cheerleading counts!) So my advice to you is...EAT MORE.

Start tracking your calories on a daily basis, for everything you eat during the day. I use FitDay for this purpose. Given your age, your weight, and most importantly, your activity level, I'd say you should probably aim to be around 1500 calories or more. Since you're at such a low level now, try adding 100 calories a day to your plan every week for a few weeks (so, if you're at 1,000 now, try 1100 a day next week, 1200 a day the week after that, etc).

Your body has stopped losing weight because it thinks you are starving. All of that exercise and low food consumption is a real issue.

Also, you would probably lose more easily if you included more whole, unprocessed foods in your diet. Why not replace the craisins with whole fruit or the rice cakes with something less processed? Why not replace the Special K with a bowl of oatmeal, or another cereal with more fiber and protein?

Bottom line is - you are an active, young/growing person, and your body needs quality food to fuel that activity and growth. And when you don't give it that fuel, it stops running as efficiently, resulting in weight loss stalls.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #3  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I have a few comments.

1. There really is no need to do 400 crunches a day. Seriously.
2. You aren't eating enough
3. You need more protein!!! I didn't see much.
4. I would say you are already at a healthy weight for someone who is athletic. Therefore, I wouldn't expect to lose weight quickly.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 01-21-2009 at 05:47 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #4  
No description available.

I agree with Amanda, that is NOT enough food. Your body is like an engine and must have fuel to run. If your body thinks there is not enough fuel, it will cling to every bit it can for survival.

You are growing, you are active, you must feed your body.

So, regarding the donut/bagel/fudge scenario, you might be retaining some water from that. Don't fret. You did not gain all that back as fat.

As far as food goes, you need protein, fiber, healthy fats, fruits, veggies, good complex carbs.

For breakfast, try 2 eggs and an english muffin and some fruit or oatmeal
Lunch---chicken or turkey or tuna sandwich, carrots, apple, string cheese
Snacks---hardboiled eggs, cottage cheese, whole grain crackers, apple w/peanut butter
dinner---clear soups, chicken, veggies, fish

Good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #5  
Believe it, be it

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'0"

I agree with the above members. And remember, 3500 calories equals a pound. You have to make a deficit of that each week to lose a pound (reversal for gaining a pound).
RangerChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/140/125

Height: 5'4"

Thank you everyone! I had a feeling I wasn't eating enough. Of course everyone else (who isn't very educated about weight loss, not that I am, though!) tells me to just eat more vegetables and fruit. Which isn't working, because I'm substituting things such as a light sandwich with a salad with almost no calories! Thank you for your help! :]
Ashley82290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And don't forget donut holes, cookies and bagels are loaded with sugar and fat and will put pounds on fast!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #8  

Because "diets" like the special K one are never going to work in the long term. How bored are you gonna be eating just cereal? You're going to "snap"...and when you were "bad", that was a totally predictable physiological and psychological reaction. Your body thinks you are starving it. Your mind says "WHY AM I DEPRIVED"...something will give.

Labelling yourself "good" or "bad" is never ever ever going to help you.

Also, you don't put on or gain real pounds of fat over a couple of days...can't lose it either in reality, since 1lb = 3,500 calorie deficit. Depressing, but true!

Diets mess up your internal rhythm....why not aim for healthy lifestyle for life rather than a "diet", per se?

Fruit and vegetables..yeh they are the things to eat but I can see why you found the advice you were given simplistic

good luck
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #9  
DRUG FREE

S/C/G: 165/153/130

Height: 5'8''

You should try upping your calories since you do a lot of exercise.
MISFIT is offline   Reply With Quote