Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Check My Ticker! :D

Height: 5'6"

Exclamation I Need Support ASAP

I've been having issues almost since I've started. I don't have any sort of real diet plan, I have no exercise plan whatsoever, and self-discipline has just never been my strong suit.

For instance. My stepdad just offered to take me to McDonald's and I was just going to do it and write myself off. It's hard not to, honestly, when I' living in a house where everyone but me is allowed to have whatever they want whenever they want. The same goes for hanging out with my friends and boyfriend.

This is the food I've had all my life, and I enjoy it. Now I feel as if I have to throw it all away and that I'm some giant failure when I indulge.

My mom keeps telling me "crackers and water"...and I just want to scream! It sounds like a prison nightmare! And to think once I reach my goal weight, this is what I'll have to have the rest of my life to maintain? I feel like instead of being a fat girl depressed because of her bad eating habits, I'm going to turn into a skinny girl depressed because of her good eating habits.
redreine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #2  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

First, you are NOT a failure if you indulge. Really! Just get back OP. Which, speaking of plans, you need one. Having a game plan will make this whole weight loss adventure a little easier... like having a map.

I'm with you on the no self control thing, and what works for me is calorie counting. I use www.fitday.com to log my calories and activity. Guess what? If I want McDonald's, then I have some, I just plan for it. Actually, you can get some decent stuff at McD's. it's not whole fresh food or anything, but you could have, say, a grilled snackwrap and a medium nonfat latte w/ sugarfree syrup for about 350 calories total.

It sounds like you aren't getting much support from your family, and I'm sorry about that. 3FC is a great place to find support, though.

I'm sure the long timers on here will have much more to say, but this is my $0.02. Hope it helps!
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

You don't have to give up the foods you love, or become a willpower role model overnight in order to lose weight.

I would recommend calorie counting. It's much easier than it sounds- calories for everything are online (and you get to know what has how many calories pretty quickly). Eat somewhere around 1600 calories- that's the level that worked for me when I was around your weight, and it worked for me (at least 2 pounds a week).

Also, if you're feeling overwhelmed by exercise, I say worry about the diet first. You can lose weight without exercise (don't freak out ladies- I mean at first, certain heavier people without medical complications can lose their first 20-50 without going to the gym and then start exercising when they're comfortable). Try taking a walk every day, or just getting in more movement throughout your day. I won't lie- I'm a really busy student, so I'm not as physically busy as I should be (I'm mostly at a desk), but the weight still came off.

I give myself the foods I like everyday, so that I don't feel like I'm losing anything. Of course, some will power is needed, you can't just go out and eat a whole chocolate cake, but if I have some nice noodles with melted cheese (I'm in love with cheese), or a lean meat burger to come home to, I'm still happy.

Also, you'll learn to pick foods that are better for you naturally this way. After a little while of adding up calories, you'll decide that the turkey burger (for example) sounds pretty good, because it means you can have a something else to eat later (whereas with a regular fatty burger you won't get to eat anything else).

PS- No offense to your mom, but who believes that anyone can lose weight on crackers and water? She may be a really smart/good woman on other topics, but don't let her comment hurt you.

Last edited by kelly315; 01-14-2009 at 09:56 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

No hon, you do not have to live on crackers and water! There are ways you can work with whatever foods are available to make them better for you. Portion control, and being selective--those are the keys.

For instance, if you do end up going to McD's, you can get a hamburger--not a Big Mac or QP, just their regular hamburger. Get it with pickles, onion, mustard, no ketchup. That's 240 calories, which isn't bad, the only problem is too much fat in it. Now, if you add to that a diet drink and small fries (no ketchup!) you add another 230 cals. So now you're up to 500 and that's enough for one meal. The trick is, you must stop with that.

Or, if you go to Pizza Hut, you can have 1 slice of a medium cheese pizza for 230 calories. Two slices, and you're up to almost 500 again, and you're done.

You see how that works? Now you may feel hungry on that because you aren't used to it, and you may wish to eat more, but the trick is, eat very slowly, make it last, and be DONE when you're done.

Fast foods are not the best way to eat, though. You can eat a lot more of the more healthy foods for fewer calories. So I'm just giving you this information so you won't feel so desperate.

You can find out nutrition information on the McDonald's website, Pizza Hut website--most fast food places have this information these days.

The thing is, you have to plan and you have to know what you can choose that will help you. You can do it! I believe it!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

It's always a long road we look down at the beginning. And it can be hard to imagine that when we find the right path (plan) that we actually can be very happy on it.

Crackers and water... Go great with a slice of cheese and some apple Seriously, is that all she expects you to eat? Ignore her. That is ridiculous, unhealthy, and unsustainable.

You say you don't have any plan. That's just not gonna work. Even if your plan right now is to pick one thing and focus on it.

What ONE thing can you do right now to take a step towards being healthier? What ONE thing can you commit to?

Can you commit to taking a 10 minute walk just 3 times this week? Or commit to drinking a glass of water with each meal you eat (regardless of the meal)? How about committing to getting in all 5 servings of fruits & vegetables that you need?

Tell us. What is it that you know you can do?
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #6  

Thank you all so much! And keep the encouragement coming!

This is exactly what I need to motivate me. People who know where I am, people who have been there. I need buddies to help keep me on track!

As for my mom, she was telling me that I need to eat crackers and drink water every time I get hungry or thirsty and it isn't a mealtime, because they shrink your stomach? I'm not sure. All I know is, my mother has only ever not been skinny when she was pregnant. :P

Thanks again, and please keep posting! This is a thread for encouragement, indeed!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by redreine View Post

My mom keeps telling me "crackers and water"...and I just want to scream! It sounds like a prison nightmare!
Uh..yeah! What kind of diet plan is crackers and water! LOL.

You know, my first weekend of Weight Watchers I said the EXACT same thing. It's like being in prison. Then I learned that the only prison I was in was the one where I thought food controlled me instead of me controlling food.

Your body is a smart cookie (excuse the pun). Your body knows when you're going to do something it doesn't like at first, so it will throw a HUGE temper tantrum and you will feel like you are feeling now. That's OKAY. Acknowledge the feeling and move on.....

You can TOTALLY do this! Show your body who's boss!

~CGH~

Last edited by choirgirlhotel; 01-14-2009 at 10:05 PM.
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
As for my mom, she was telling me that I need to eat crackers and drink water every time I get hungry or thirsty and it isn't a mealtime, because they shrink your stomach?
Untrue.

It's going to depend on you individually, but for me, if I'm hungry for a snack by all means I have a snack. It's usually some vegetables, yogurt, cheese, or fruit. But I eat it and enjoy it.

Now, I will say that overtime, eating less does shrink your stomach (and shrink your perception of how much you need to eat) so that when you do overeat it makes you feel a little ill and uncomfortable. But water & crackers?... Naw. Just not buying it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #9  

Currently I've been doing a fantastic job of cutting back on soda. Today was my 3rd day on the diet, and my 3rd day without soda, so I' really proud of myself about that!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Currently I've been doing a fantastic job of cutting back on soda. Today was my 3rd day on the diet, and my 3rd day without soda, so I' really proud of myself about that!
Alright! That's fantastic It's hard to cut back on sodas. So this is a great step! Keep going with it
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think it's GREAT you've cut out soda! Seriously, I had to do a lifestyle change in baby steps. I think many of us have felt completely overwhelmed (hey, I still do sometimes!)

I think it will help if you can move TOWARD a plan. You've cut out the soda... what's the next healthy thing you want to do? then DO IT, while thinking of the next thing!

You can do it!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #12  

Let's see ladies...what should my next goal be?

While I was in the hospital Monday, the doctor said my sodium level was high. I believe it's time to cut back on the high sodium foods!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Good for you on the sodas! Try not to get too discouraged. If you take the baby steps in might take a little longer to get there but you will get there.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Great job on cutting out the soda's. That was one of the hardest parts for me. You've gotten some great advice here. Even when faced with dining out, it's (almost) always my preference to choose the "most healthy" option available. Keep posting, there are many here who've done it and are still doing it. Check out the Maintainers Forum for good advice on how to lose the weight and keep it off. No, it's not a life of punishment (at least I feel that way Most of the time). Exercise isn't my enemy , it makes my body and my mind feel good. I started with just short walks of a few min's a day, it doesn't take much to get started. I wish you the very best in your quest to be healthy. Sorry that your family isn't more supportive. Noone else in my family is dieting or exercising either, but I can't let that stop me.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 289/278.8/155

Height: 5'7"

Since you have internet, why not do a little research and find a diet that works for you? There are so many options out there, and you can see which one seems reasonable for you, then join that section here and get the support and help you need.

Oh, and about fast food places like McDonalds...I have a rule of thumb about going out with other people to places like that...I go, I enjoy myself, but I always get a salad, and so far that's worked just fine for me!

Good Luck!
Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote