Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Default Smoking & losing weight?

Are there any other smokers out there?

Do you stop smoking first so that any weight you put on you can lose on your diet?

Do you start your diet first, lose some weight then quit and put more on to lose?

I am finding myself smoking more now that I am cutting out all the bad foods, ughhhh!
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/ONEDERLAND!

Height: 5'9

I haven't quit smoking. I think that if I did that I would be too overwhelmed with trying to diet and quit smoking! I think there are some people here who have quit both bad habits at once . . . so I think it depends on how badly you want to quit.
heather88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 179/150/140

Height: 5'7

Actually, quitting smoking was the whole reason I started losing weight. When I had cravings, exercise was the only thing that made them go away. I never had the desire to exercise before I quit smoking. Normally, when I was stressed, I would smoke. I realized going for a run or bike worked just as well, and I was actually prolonging my life instead of cutting it short.

At one point, I DID start smoking again, partially because I was afraid of gaining and thought i would lose weight faster. I only smoked for two week sbefore I stopped because I realized how much of an impact of it was having on my weight loss in a negative way. I was working out less, for shorter periods of time, in less intense sessions.. because I couldn't breathe through them! I actually gained 3 pounds while I was smoking. So quitting smoking actually effected my weight loss positively.

Although smoking has a VERY slight boost on the metabolism, that's not the reason most people gain weight while quitting. Smokers depend on an outside force to make them feel better. Many people feel the need to have a 'thing' that makes them feel better. Some people drink, some do drugs, some people smoke, and some eat. All the same thing. Removing cigarettes can make someone feel like an emotional eater, which will cause them to gain weight. Emotional eating is something you can control, so yes, you can quit smoking without gaining weight.

The ONLY reason I have been succsessful with my weight loss is because I stopped smoking. There are physical reasons, sure: increased energy and stamina. But the real reason quitting smoking was ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for me was because of what it gave me mentally. It made me realize that I had to be in charge of how I was feeling and stop depending on something to make me feel better - including food. I no longer am an emotional eater like I was before I quit smoking. Quitting also made me realize that I was capable of accomplishing goals I set for myself, something I needed to be successful at losing weight. I've already met my first mini-goal of 150 lbs.

There is a reason why, as a smoker, I always yo-yo dieted and never managed to stay on track! If you are thinking about quitting DO IT, it will only make your weight loss easier and more enjoyable!
Hypra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #4  
jmwt

S/C/G: 242/199/140

Default I quit smoking 10/17/2008

I had smoked since I was 16- 22 years. I guess I was just done or something- not really sure what happened ? I saw a hypotherapist, I want to smike every day, but strangley I just don't ?? Here is the kicker- weighed myself this AM have gained nearly 30 lbs since I quit. I was in the 190's when I quit and this morning 219....I kidd you not it is like an eating animal has unleashed in me....not like before- this is just crazy ??
venusbirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I smoked through my weightloss and quit when I took up running. I did cut back a lot when I began working out.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #6  
Math Tutor Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 330/309/150

Height: 5'9"

My doctor actually advised me not to quit smoking. He said that he feels my priority needs to be losing weight because that is an immediate threat to my health, and quitting smoking and changing my diet would be too much change and I would just end up failing at both. I tend to agree. Plus with school and work thrown in it is way too much. So my plan is to lose weight and then quit smoking.
BelovedImzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/ticker/150

Height: 5' 6"

Quitting smoking was easy for me even though I really didnt want to do it. I enjoyed smoking, it was my one and only vice. I loved my 10 minute *quite time* breaks when I went out onto the porch to smoke alone. But my kids nagged me about it so I quit for them.

I smoked a pack a day for 33 years (11-44) and I took the pills to quit. Not Chantix, there are too many horror stories about that stuff plus it wasnt covered by my insurance. Instead my doctor gave me generic Wellbutrin which is the generic of Zyban. I took the pills for about 6 days when the smell of cigarettes started to make me nauseous. By the 8th day I didnt want to smoke at all. My mother took the same pills and quit after almost 50 years of smoking. The biggest shock was the my brother then wanted to quit. He said he felt left out lol. He smoked 3 packs a day and a week into the pills he just didnt want to anymore.

I ALWAYS want a cigarette. I dont have one but I always want one. It's funny how many times I still reach for them but they arent there.

I dont know how much weight I gained from it but I'm sure I gained a bunch. I think it's just easier for me to lose the weight once and be done with it.
Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #8  

I'm with Hypra! I quit 7 months ago and dropped the last the last 10 pounds I wanted to lose 2 months into my quit. The main reason for this was that instead of my stress-smoking in the evening I went running instead. I was exercising fairly regularly for about 1.5 years before I quit, but I think quitting gave me that extra boost in confidence I needed to work out more and harder. I had never run before and to my shock I loved it! My metabolism seems to have sped up, I am happier than I have ever been and when I went home for the holidays friends and family said that I looked younger and better than I had in years. I'm pushing 40, so this felt great.

There are SO MANY other positive impacts quitting has had on my life, but since this is a weight loss forum, I'll just say that quitting smoking is THE reason I am in the best shape of my entire life.

You can do it.

Last edited by pdxloser; 01-12-2009 at 10:36 AM.
pdxloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 262/262/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi jade! I'm a smoker too and have been thinking about quitting. I've decided not to try right now-- I just think it's too much all at once. I figure that before I reach my goal weight, I'll get serious about quitting.

For me, the more I exercise, the less I smoke because it just doesn't feel as good after a workout as it does with a cup of coffee! So, I'll probably still smoke, until I get to the point where I feel I've got my eating under control and exercise is as second nature to me as brushing my teeth.
Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #10  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

I tried the way where you prioritize your healthy lifestyle changes and that never worked, because I kept alternating which bad habit I was quitting depending on whether I wanted to eat or smoke at that moment.

I haven't had a cigarette or a beer in two weeks. I've had fast food once (a kiddie meal from Wendy's) and pizza once. I've lost seven pounds and I feel awesome. I don't want a cigarette or a beer, and the food thing is getting easier.

I'm just saying, it can be done, but you have to really want to. I want to.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Smoking is a crutch for me, get stressed grab a cigarette, get angry light one up. I know myself that I can't do both at one time, if I did I would be on the six o'clock news "1 Fat Chick barricades herself in McDonalds and says she won't come out until someone brings her a carton of cigarettes, story at 11".

Beloved, my doctor said the same thing, right now concentrate on losing some weight and we will work on the smoking later.

I am hoping that what some of you experienced as far as exercising taking the cravings away will work on me the same way.
jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #12  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

I plan on quitting smoking when I move out of my moms house. I would never try to tackel changing my eating and smoking at the same time though... I would think getting one out of the way first, and then dealing with the next one (without using the other as a leg to stand on).
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've been dieting since August 12 and quit smoking November 14. Immediately after quitting, I had a really good couple of weeks of weight loss. No, I don't think it really makes you gain much weight, especially if you're dieting. However, smoking never really suppressed my appetite.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #14  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusbirth View Post
I had smoked since I was 16- 22 years. I guess I was just done or something- not really sure what happened ? I saw a hypotherapist, I want to smike every day, but strangley I just don't ?? Here is the kicker- weighed myself this AM have gained nearly 30 lbs since I quit. I was in the 190's when I quit and this morning 219....I kidd you not it is like an eating animal has unleashed in me....not like before- this is just crazy ??
Maybe you should go back to that hypnotherapist for the eating:P And then, give me his number so I can get that kind of help!!!
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedImzadi View Post
My doctor actually advised me not to quit smoking. He said that he feels my priority needs to be losing weight because that is an immediate threat to my health, and quitting smoking and changing my diet would be too much change and I would just end up failing at both.
Seriously? Where is his faith in you?

For me, overeating fills a need. For me, smoking filled a need. When I quit smoking, I did gain a lot of weight. I also had a full hysterectomy at the same time, but I also didn't find healthy alternatives to soothe my emotions in place of the cigarettes. Dieting and smoking are both very difficult challenges. I honestly don't believe that quitting both at the same time is overly strenous and too challenging. Just think...instead of stopping one habit and being left with another that you still have to deal with...and going through the same hard time twice..you could do it all at once and develop a healthy lifestyle to support your changes. Your body will thank you...for a long long time.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-12-2009 at 08:24 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote