Old 01-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #1  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default any one have a healthy version of a cheeseburger?

SO for the last 3and a half weeks I've been on my diet I've had no craving's- until the last few days granted it is "that time of the month" and I always crave sugary and greasy foods while on it- but now It's to the point I day dream about bad food. Anyways every time I pass a burger king or Mcdonalds it takes every ounce of strength I have not to pull in and get a burger!

So I've tried to come up with my own healthy version - but it simply didn't "do the trick" for me

I made a boca burger only 100 cals put it on a piece of whole wheat 45 calorie bread, used some laughing cow cheese at 35 cals, and a piece of jimmy dean turkey bacon only 25 cals per slice and then lettuce ,onions, a little low sodium ketchup, a little olive oil mayo, and some mustard- and I tried it and *sighs* I was so disappointed.. it's was ok, totally edible and not gross or anything don't get me wrong but it just didn't replace it or come close to it..

any other Ideas? or is that just one of the few things that is irreplaceable?
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #2  
Math Tutor Extraordinaire

S/C/G: 330/309/150

Height: 5'9"

I personally don't believe in resisting cravings. In my opinion it is better that you give yourself permission to eat foods you want, rather than ignoring cravings until you break down and make a bad choice. If I just give myself permission to eat what I feel like, I am more likely to eat it in moderation and keep it in my calories.

When I want a cheeseburger I get a cheeseburger kids meal from jack-in-the-box with a plain cheeseburger and applesauce. Sometimes I get the fries but they have a lot of calories and are not very filling. In case you are wondering, it comes out to just over 400 calories, which really is perfectly acceptable for a single meal.

YMMV

Last edited by BelovedImzadi; 01-06-2009 at 03:04 AM.
BelovedImzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:29 AM   #3  
super geek

S/C/G: 185/151/138

Height: 5'9

I know it sounds totally ridiculous, but one thing that tastes so so so much like McDonalds is these tuna toasties I made one time. I discovered that they taste like Big Mac totally by accident

I just put a mixture of drained water-packed tuna, mayonnaise (yogurt works fine, too) and a bit of worchestershire sauce onto some ultra grainy toast, put a slice of tomato on it, and then some cheese and grill it until it's melty. It's so tasty, and a dang sight better for me than Micky Dee's.
rocket pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #4  

I just take really lean ground beef mix in some shredded cheddar or mozzeralla fat free cheese... grill it... put it on a plate without the bun...and dip it in ketchup as I eat it. I don't miss the bun and get a really yummy hamburger when I want it.
mouse37sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/178/130

Height: 5' 7"

I'm not sure about whether it's as good because I haven't eaten McDonalds since 1994 but I just do the same as mouse37sc and make some burgers with lean beef and pack it with onions and salad or buy these vegetarian burgers from my local supermarket, it's flavoured quorn and it tastes really good with a light cheese slice and some weight watchers bread.
My absolute favourite burger though is nice big chicken cheeseburger, tastes even better to know I made it myself rather than bought it and it's not too bad calorie wise.

If you crave it that much though you should get one, if you deny yourself you may end up binging on them and more. Sometimes I crave cake really bad if it's TOM and I just have to let myself have some or I'll go mad and eat everything EXCEPT cake
Vahla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Get 90% lean ground beef and cook a 1/4 pound pattie. (175 cals)

On the last turn, add on top 1 ounce of full fat cheddar cheese and cover the pan to melt it for about 30 seconds or so. (114 cals)

Add Dijonnaise, dill pickles, a dollop of ketchup--as you like (around 10-15 cals)

Wrap in an iceberg lettuce leaf instead of using a bun!

Total 300 cals. Tastes pretty darn good!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/178/130

Height: 5' 7"

Ooh, never thought of wrapping a burger in a lettuce leaf, think I might try that.
Vahla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 254/see tracker/154

Height: 5'8"

If I am craving something really bad I end up just getting it. I find substitutes don't usually do the trick for me. I have had mc donalds a few times since I have started watching what I ate and usually get a big mac. I just plan it into my calories for the day and only get the big mac and a bottle of water. I can't deny myself or this would never work for me. This is a lifestyle change that I am sticking to for life.
koolkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have had the same craving. After about 2 months of doing without, I had to have a hamburger! I knew that I needed to either indulge occasionally or find a good alternate. This alternative works for me:

Lara's Lean Beef Hamburger patty - 160 calories - 9 grams of fat
Merita Lite Wheat Hamburger Buns - 80 calories - .5 grams of fat
Kraft 2% American Slice Cheese - 45 calories - grams of fat 2.5
lettuce
a little bit of onion

Total - 285 calories and 12 grams of fat

I gave up mayo in favor of the 2% cheese. I have added one slice of
Oscar Mayer Fast Prep Precooked Bacon (4 slices = 90 calories and 7 grams of fat) so that adds about 23 calories and 2 grams of fat. You could reduce the calories some by using fat free cheese but I prefer the 2%.

This burger is big, filling, satisfies my cravings and fits well within my eating plan. I now have it about once a week and don't have any problems driving by Burger King.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'd recommend learning to make your own homemade burger with beef. Even if it's still not everyday food, it will be really tasty, and much better for you than McDonald's. You'll get spoiled - McD's hamburgers will soon seem gross.

I recently became vegetarian, so I can't advise the best way to make your own burger, but I'm sure someone will. I still crave a good burger now and then, but I never have the slightest desire for a McDonald's burger.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-06-2009 at 10:38 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #11  
No description available.

The nice thing about making your own is you get to do whatever toppings you want. I saute a mess of mushrooms and onions in a little olive oil and top my burger (usually grilled turkey burger, but Boca, or even beef would suffice---beef at home is still going to be healthier than fast food) with blue cheese, mushrooms, onions, guac, lettuce, tomato, green chile whatever! And I'd have a real hamburger bun with it. Even with those toppings, it is a huge calorie saver over a drive through, better quality, and hits the spot.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #12  
ZeusMeatball

S/C/G: 534/309/275

Height: 6'4''

4oz 99% lean ground turkey (I season it with Grillmates Hickory and a shake of garlic powder or Goya Adobo) - 140 calories, 160 calories if you use the 97% turkey

1 80 calorie hamburger bun (stop and shop or shaws sells em) - 80 calories

Lettuce, tomato, onion, dill pickle, ketchup, Guldens mustard - 35 calories approx

1 wedge of laughing cow french onion cheese - 35 calories (I don't use the cheese when I make these but my wife does)

Grand total of 255 calories without the cheese and 290 calories with the cheese, and these are very yummy!

As Ever
Me

Last edited by Botzz; 01-06-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Botzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/153/145

Height: 5'9"

I haven't had red meat for five years and I've been vegan for two, so this might not be particularly helpful since I don't even remember what a hamburger tastes like, but Burger King's garden burgers really hit the spot for me. I still get the thrill of having fast food (haha) but without the mayo its only 300 calories! Even if it can't satisfy your cravings, its a good thing to get at a rest stop or when your friends are fastfood-ing.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

If I am really craving something and the craving doesnt go away i just figure it into my calories. IF I want Mcdonalds I get 1 reg burger and it usually stops the cravings. I dont do it often but every few weeks it doesnt hurt.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I'll take a cooked boca burger or turkey patty, put it between two crustless pieces of whole wheat toast, use either laughing cow lite or some other sort of reduced fat cheese, and a tablespoon of barbecue sauce and voila. Certainly not even a close replacement for a fast food burger like you said, but one of my favorite meals..

I actually don't even like normal beef burgers anymore(and that's referring to what I used to consider a good restaurant burger; the thought of mcdonalds just makes me cringe!).. too greasy.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote