Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #1  

Default Low points-how do you deal with hunger?

I am considering joining Weight Watchers, but I am concerned because I fall at the low end of the points scale-only 18 points for the day (not counting flex points). That's only about 900 calories. I don't see how I can eat that little and not be hungry all the time. Does the new Momentum plan help with that?
LAParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

18 points is not 900 calories. A point is ABOUT 50-60 calories, but this is not exact. And your points don't include things such as most veggies which are ZERO points. And while they are zero points, they still have calories in them.

18 points, when used for filling foods such as fruits, lean proteins, whole grains etc. can DEFINITELY keep you satisfied during the day. In fact, that's what the Momentum program is all about! Keeping you satisfied by choosing healthier options 90% of the time, and following the Good Health Guidelines (like drinking water, and getting in enough healthy oil).
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I'll try to give an example of a possible 18 point day:

Breakfast: Light Yogurt (2 points) with 1 & 1/2 cups fresh Strawberries (1 Point) and a piece of Whole Wheat toast (2 points)

Snack: Pear (1 point) and Baby Carrots (0 points)

Lunch: Salad w/Lettuce (0 points) pre-cooked grilled chicken slices (3 points) sliced apple (1 point) and LF Feta (3 points) with LC spray dressing (0 points depending on brand)

Dinner: Steamed Vegetables with Lemon Pepper herbs (0 points), 99% FF hotdog (1 point), Light Bun (1 point), 1 cup cooked Brown Rice (3 points)

All told : 18 points. Not to mention you can use the 35 Flex Points to have something like 94% FF popcorn for after dinner. Or you can add in more veggie snacks during the day.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #4  

Thanks Faerie! I think I will have to rely on the zero points veggies to get full.
LAParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #5  

If you follow the plan and eat the majority of your foods from the list of Filling Foods, you will not be hungry. I have 18 points and feel satisfied. I use WAPs but never APs.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Also, don't forget to USE those flex points. I know they're "optional," but especially at the lowest point alottments, it's probably a good idea to use most, if not all of them. That's another 250 to 300 calories (with your veggies, this would definitely bring up a more respectable total of 1200 calories or more).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Also, don't forget to USE those flex points. I know they're "optional," but especially at the lowest point alottments, it's probably a good idea to use most, if not all of them. That's another 250 to 300 calories (with your veggies, this would definitely bring up a more respectable total of 1200 calories or more).
Yes! Thanks, kaplods! Even though I get about 29 points daily now I still use my FP during the week. Maybe not always all of them, but they're there for a reason. WW likes to call them "optional", but don't hesitate to use them!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #8  

I with you! There are times that I think my failure to get to goal weight is a fear of not having enough to eat and I would be at 18 per day as well.
I know WW has a new plan and I've not been to a meeting yet to hear about it in person, but I think that it might be better for me, so I plan on going very soon.
I found my own way to deal with my fear of not having enough points was to go on their CORE plan as I am what I would refer to as a volume eater.
But, if you were going to be on that low a points allowance, popcorn and 0 point garden veg. soup would be an important part of the day. That soup and popcorn have saved my neck!
Good luck to you.
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #9  

Also, it would be wonderful for others to post more samples of 18 point days, and don't forget you have flex points too!
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #10  
I want the fully monty..

S/C/G: 240/check ticker/170

Height: 6ft

I'm a guy so I get tons of points (sorry ladies) but heres another sample menu you could consider.

Breakfast - 1 egg, 3 egg whites (3), slice of LF Cheese (1), some red bell pepper and chopped onion (0), tea (0) - 4 points
Snack - 1/2 cup of LF cottage cheese (2), Apple (1) - 3 points
Lunch - 2 slices of Light wheat bread (1), few slices of LF deli ham (2), Dijon mustard (0), lettuce and tomato (0), pair this with a salad or maybe a zero point soup - 3 points
S - Carrots and Celery /w 2 tbsp favorite low fat dip (1) - 1 point
D - Chili (varies, I make a good 3 point/cup chili), small dallop of lf sour cream (0), salad with romaine, salsa, lf cheddar cheese (2) for a filling and delicious taco salad - 5 points
S - 1 square of dark chocolate (1) and a 1 point fruit

The thing about Weight Watchers is planning. If you fill out what you're going to have the day, you won't need to worry about picking something on a whim.

Last edited by xdominic89x; 01-06-2009 at 02:30 PM.
xdominic89x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #11  
Bride-to-be!

S/C/G: 192/187/150

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Dominic... planning is key! And don't forget, you can earn up to 4 Activity Points every day through exercise (even light activity). I've found that even investigating different brands at the grocery store really helps to save points here and there.

For instance, right now I have this really yummy Trader Joe's wheat bread, but it's 120 calories (2 points) for 2 pieces. I'm going to make a point this week of picking up Aunt Millie's Fiber For Life (my favorite) which has 35 calories/slice (1 point for 2 pieces) and tons of fiber! If you take the time once in a while to hunt for different options at the store, it'll really pay off. Here are some low-point breakfasts I really enjoy:

- 1 slice low point bread (like FFL, toasted), 1 tbsp. fat free cream cheese, 2 slices tomato, 1/4 c. Egg Beaters, 1/2 c. OJ or NF milk - 3 pts.

- 1 c. Honey Nut Cheerios, 1/2 c. NF milk, chopped banana on top, black coffee - 4 pts.

- 1/2 c. LF yogurt, 1/2 c. mixed berries (blend into smoothie), 1 pc. toast w/ 1 tbsp. PB - 5

- 1 point English muffin (WW or Thomas' Light, toasted), 1 piece FF cheese, 2 egg whites, optional turkey bacon or veggie sausage - 2-4 pts.

- 1/2 c, oats, 1/2 c. NF milk, 1 tsp. PB, 1 tbsp. SF syrup, cinnamon - 5 pts.
Petunia418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 8"

I did WW once, and would again if I could afford the fee! and had someone to go with! But anyway my advice is to USE YOUR FLEX POINTS, when I did it before I used mine and lost 9 lbs in the first 2wks, and then lost a total of 21 in over the 6wks i did it! But my mom was having trouble losing and she wasn't using her flex points, so she talked to our group leader and she told my mom she must use her flex points to keep her metabolism up! If you eat too little your body slows its fat burning furnace and if you eat too much well then we all know what happens. So the leader told my mom to eat ALL her flex points during the week and then my mom finally started losing! Anways that's my advice from when I did WW.
Sun_Flower2 is offline   Reply With Quote