Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #1  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default I lost my resolve. I found it again but was momentarily disgusted with myself!

So today was a major snowstorm (2 inches in Seattle is major!) I was at the Supported Living Facility that I manage, one staff had called in due to the weather and the other was at the grocery store shopping for the week, so I was there by myself, not able to leave the clients. Anyway...I heard on the tv that by 3pm there was another round of snow showers coming...and I had a "to do" list a mile long that I needed to accomplish before I could head for home, (shop for the client's Christmas presents, go to the office to finish this months filing, stop and get gas in my car) I was waiting, waiting, waiting for the staff to get back so I could get my stuff done and get home before the storm hit (No one knows how to drive in the snow here, being from Idaho where we get real winter I'm not bothered by driving in it...it's the other dumb a*** you have to watch out for!)

I realized I was hungry (felt like I was starving) and hadn't brought a lunch. I was physically hungry and had big ugly emotions that I guess I didn't know how to deal with....so I went out to my car and dug into the groceries I had purchased earlier...bypassing the fruit, the whole wheat bagels. I grabbed a jar of peanut butter and went back into the house, frustrated and hungry and flat pissed. I ate four HUGE spoons full, probably about a cup and a half, standing in front of the kitchen sink, looking out the window, fuming that the staff was taking so long.

I was going for the 5th spoonful when my staff pulled up. I then snapped back to reality and literally felt a huge knot of peanut butter in my throat. I managed to swallow it and put the peanut butter back in the grocery bag before the girl came in...YUCK. The time it took me help her put away the groceries and then gather my stuff, allowed me to get a grip and the binge was derailed.

I am just now hungry again after my cup and a half of peanut butter...about 7 hours later.

Crap.

Last edited by Michelle98272; 12-17-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #2  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

The important thing is that you were able to realize what you were doing, snap back to reality and stop.

Don't beat yourself up about it! In the grand scheme of things, a cup and a half of peanut butter isn't the end of the world. Tally it up, add it into your plan, work around it, and move past it.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #3  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Good job stopping! It's so easy to throw in the towel when we do one off plan behavior.

I've been slightly off plan - basically just not counting calories today or yesterday. I have lots of excuses, none of them any good. My eating has been reasonable so not overly worried about it but I want to get back to my normal habits and figure out how to survive without my bathroom or kitchen scales.

So hang in there - tomorrow is another day for both of us!

I know what you mean about the snow. My mom was freaking out that she had to get all her grocery shopping done yesterday. I told her I'd take her to the store but she wouldn't listen. I live in Eastern WA and it cracks me up that 2" causes such a panic here. Actually most people I know who were born/raised in Western WA are fine driving in the snow - it's the dang flood of Californians in recent years who I blame!
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #4  
No description available.

Congratulations!!

Seriously, it is easy to be on plan when it is easy to be on plan. But when we have to deal with stress, hunger, discomfort, etc., and then make a misstep, what happens NEXT is what matters. You pulled yourself together and got back on plan! That's terrific! You have proven to yourself that you are in this for the long haul, that you have made changes, and that you are not a quitter. Celebrate this!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Good for you to fess up and realize it wasn't and isn't the answer to your frustration. I have done this too after leaving behind an empty donut box!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I don't know who posted this on here, but something another poster said has stuck with me for awhile now. She said that when she makes choices that are not in her best interest, example eating things that she knows are unhealthy for her, it is no biggie as she will make better choices the next opportunity and/or meal. That has always stuck with me and when I have moments like these I often remember that.

I'm an emotional eater as well...I have still not found the perfect solution to that one. Other than making my life a more positive and wonderful thing.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Michelle,

Five large spoonfuls of peanut butter. I have to laugh...if you are like many of us, think about what kind of eating this situation would have provoked a year ago!

You ate it, you stopped. You didn't let it be a trigger for "I've blown it so now I will eat everything in sight."

This feels like pretty normal living...I'm going to make a wild guess and say if you stick back on plan it won't even provide a setback on the scale.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 284/279/170

Height: 5'11

Default Try not to feel too bad!

I find that my bad feelings about myself trigger binges. Just tell yourself the kind and supportive things you would say to your best friend if she were in a similar situation: Peanut butter is really not that bad and you did stop yourself. With all the running around you had to do and the cold weather, you have probably burned off most of it by now. It's OK to slip, just don't stay down.
Best wishes!
WifeyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:07 PM   #9  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

mmmm... peanut butter. You got all your good fats for the week in one sitting! Whew that's a load off!

Just kidding. You stopped it babe. You knew it was not going to solve anything and you stopped. You didn't move on to 15 bagels, a cheesecake and a bucket of chicken. It was just peanut butter and it's done.

You are stronger than this action and it will not get you down. I have much faith in you my friend!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote