Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #1  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 286/275.8/185

Height: 5'6

Default Making Little Changes

Today is really the first day of my new adventure. Household goals for this month include cooking at home more, exercising regularly, and forming a healthy food plan.

I've started trying to come up with a list of personal guidelines for myself and my hubby to follow. Simple things like teaching him to eat something for breakfast (preferably not 2 packs of pop-tarts or something, though), less trips through the drive-thru, more water, etc.

My big things for DH is for him to learn his limit. He has a habit of eating more than his brain thinks he needs which is already twice what his belly really needs. Smaller portions are a big thing for me, too. Also, he needs to learn to slow down while he eats. Somehow, he's learned to be a food vacuum which is part of why he eats 2 to 3 times what he needs and winds up complaining about being over-full! Silly monkey!

While I don't have a current food list/plan, I am looking toward ideas from SB and low GI while also limiting portion sizes and increasing things like water, fiber and fruit. Since we were out of town for the holiday and didn't get paid until we were out of town, we had very little in the house on our return yesterday which resulted in not having a lunch at work today. It would have been nice just to avoid the cold today, too, but instead I went to lunch with my boss and other coworker. I didn't let this get me down, though! I put some good plans into action.

We went to a Chinese place where the guys like to get soup, but about all I eat from Chinese is fried rice plus lots of salt. First, instead of a coke, I had water with lunch. They have HUGE glasses, probably 32 oz. First, I decided I didn't need an egg roll like I normally would. Plus I made a conscious decision NOT to add ANY salt, which really changes the taste of the fried rice at this place. It's actually a bit sweet on its own. Normally, I eat about half of the head-sized portion plus the remaining meats, but today I ate slowly. I made sure to keep a slow pace, chew everything completely and swallow before getting another bite, and after every 4 or 5 bites, I put my fork down and drank some water. I probably only ate about 1/4 of the food on my plate, and I even left a decent amount of meat pieces. And I only had one fingernail sized taste of my fortune cookie before calling it a day! I'm really proud of myself for making these choices about my food. These are small steps that can be incorporated into any eating plan and make huge differences in how we feel.

Another huge thing for me today, and I don't know if it's from trying to eat smaller portions or because one of my medicines really is helping my energy or that there's some amount of pain relief in my sinus meds right now, but I actually bounded up the stairs after lunch. Normally, I wait behind my coworkers and practically drag myself up the stairs. Part of this is energy, part of it is pain. Most of my normal pains are absent today, but I'm suffering with a shoulder/neck crick on my left side to make up for them. Still, I made it all the way up the stairs. The last 3 were more of a struggle, but nothing like normal when I almost have to stop 3 from the top to catch my breath. It doesn't mean running up the stairs will stick, but it's still a point to be proud of.

I have a tendency to ramble at times, so feel free to ignore me or tell me to shut up if I start posting too much.
glutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

It sounds like you are doing great. It's funny how guys have such a hard time with portion control. My hubby has the same problem. I used to as well so I can't point fingers, but I'm hoping he'll do better with it eventually. I always count out my serving of wheat thins for example and he takes the rest of the box. He needs more sleep, I think it has a terrible effect on how much he eats.
All you can do is try to set a good example. They do make changes because of it. You did great at the restaurant, just being aware of what goes in our mouths makes such a difference.
Post away... it really helps!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Congrats Glutio! It sounds as though you made some terrific changes at lunch today. Keep it up and you will see progress on the scale...and even better in how you feel and in your clothes.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #4  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Good job Glutio! Those small changes can really add up. Keep up the good work!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Small changes over time = results.

You can do it!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

The small changes are good. I look back on where I was 2 years ago and think ... if someone told me back then that I'd be eating and exercising like I do now, I'd have laughed at them. But now ... what I do is the result of 2 years of little changes, one after the other, slowly. And they do make a difference and they do add up.

One thing I noticed in your post is that you said: "My big things for DH is for him to learn" ... ultimately you have to realize that you're not responsible for anyone but you. You can give your DH suggestions or advice, but be sure not to let *his* learning curve affect you. You can still eat healthily, whether he buys in or not.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #7  
On a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
One thing I noticed in your post is that you said: "My big things for DH is for him to learn" ... ultimately you have to realize that you're not responsible for anyone but you. You can give your DH suggestions or advice, but be sure not to let *his* learning curve affect you. You can still eat healthily, whether he buys in or not.

Yeah, I understand I can't control him or change him, or any of that even if he doesn't want to. But I know he wants to make a change, too. I didn't say anything to him at dinner tonight, but we got home from a friend's and he said "Ok, I think I ate too much." He's starting to learn his own boundaries, too. It helps me to have him make comments for me, so we kind of do it for each other right now, I guess.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Excellent.

BTW, I love your avatar. I'm a wedding photographer, so I'm all about other people's wedding photos!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #9  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Glutio you are on the right track for sure - great job at the Chinese restaurant. I have a hard time "behaving" when it comes to Chinese food. yummm!

I'm about 6 weeks into my life change plan - about 3 weeks into my time here at 3FC and so far it's just been making one small change after another that has helped.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:45 AM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Good choices you made today!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

good for you I don't think these are little steps at all!! It's a huge step to switch to water after drinking soda all the time, and to leave food on your plate is soooooo hard!! you are doing great! It's good to want to support your hubby, and for you guys to do it together would be a plus, but focus on your eating and activity first and foremost. He will hopefully see you doing good and start making steps to better his health too! good luck, and keep up the good work
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Small changes are great and having a plan is awesome. Sounds like you're well on your way to good health and weight loss!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #13  
On a Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
BTW, I love your avatar. I'm a wedding photographer, so I'm all about other people's wedding photos!

Thank you so much! It's one of my favorite pics of that day. We didn't hire a professional photographer for our wedding, but we paid some photo-hobbiest friends to take pics for up. I know there are things missing because of that, but we still have so many nice pics that I don't care
Old 12-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #14  
No description available.

on those changes, Glutio!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote