Old 11-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #1  
Changing Inside and Out

S/C/G: 276/249/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Plateau

On Oct 14th I posted that I hit a plateau. Ok, here I am 5 weeks later, and my weight still has not budged down one bit. I feel like I have done everything. Upped my calories, lowered my calories, increased my exercise, decreased my exercise, lowered my sodium, stopped drinking diet soda. I am losing inches, I just really want to see the numbers on the scale go lower...just 5 lbs even...something.

I changed my eating habits:

B - apple - 2 pts reduced fat peanut butter - 4 pts
L - left over dinner from night before (1 serv of a low fat, low sodium meal w/a veggie) 10 pts
D - boca burger w/sweet pickels and ketchup and green beans - 6 pts
S - reduced fat cheese - 3 pts banana w/reduced fat pb - 4 pts

This is an average day for food. I am on the eliptical 30 mins 5 days a week and I do toning weights 3 days a week.

Any ideas to jump start my weight loss again would be great.
luvin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #2  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

My first thought is switch up your exercise a little bit. Not necessarily adding more but changing the incline on the eliptical or walking outdoors, walk to the store and carry some groceries back, swimming... just something different.

Also maybe adjust your macros just to give your body something different while keeping your calories the same. Maybe increase fat - I'm wondering if you're not getting enough fat and your body is holding onto what it's got. (I dunno if that's how it works.)
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #3  
Changing Inside and Out

I guess I am not as diet savvy as I thought I was....

What is a macro?
Old 11-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

A couple of things ...

1 - Macro nutrients are the big three - the values that most people are watching when they're watchign their nutrition: Carbs, Protein, and Fat. There are all kinds of different balances that people work with. I personally go for about 40/35/25 - that makes for a good bit of protein; about 120g worth a day. I find I lose weight better when I eat more protein and high quality fat and fewer carbs.

2 - If you've made all those changes in 5 weeks, it doesn't sound like you're actually giving your body time to adjust to anything. You're kinda flailing around in a panic and not really giving anything time to work. Pick something that you think will help and stick with it for 3-4 weeks instead of changing it up so often.

3 - Sometimes your body just needs a break. I found after I lost my first 40ish lbs, I stalled for a little bit. Then I went back to losing until I hit about 175 or so. While it's nice to see regular, consistent loss, you have to accept that it's not always going to happen. And sometimes you just gotta give your body a break.

4- You say you do "toning" weights? I won't even go into my thoughts on "toning" but that leads me to believe you're lifting light weights for lots of reps? IN the long run that's not an effective way to lift weights. If you want to build muscle and increase your metabolism and burn fat, you need to lift heavier weights. And no, you won't bulk up. Women don't have the capability to bulk up like men do without a lot of serious, concentrated effort to do so.

5 - Diet-wise - it looks to me that you're not eating very much for your height and weight. It looks like 24 points which is, what ... about 1200 calories? That's WAY too little for you. WAY. Where did you get the 24 point number from? Because no WW plan I know says that someone who weighs 250 lb should be eating 24 points. At your weight, and working out 5days a week including weights, you should be eating at least 1700-1800 calories a day.

Those are my thoughts, FWIW.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Okay, I'm counting 29 points and that seems reasonable to me...but I do have a question. Do you weigh and measure your food? You have for breakfast an apple 2 pts with reduced fat BP 4 pts. Then for a snack you have banana & reduced fat PB for 4 pts. Are you consuming the same amount of PB both times? Banana's per ounce have more calories than apples, but you are counting a total of 6 for an apple & pb vs. 4 pts for a banana & PB? I'm confused.

I do agree with photochick that you should stick with one thing for a while...In my old WW days I remember my leader saying your weight reflects what you did last week...not this week.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 11-15-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #6  
Changing Inside and Out

Yes, I use less on the banana. Like I said, it is an average day. I stay within my points range, sometimes the items are different, but basically I eat more points at lunch. My lunch is at 3pm, my breakfast at 10:30 to 11am, and dinner is usually 8pm. Please dont talk me out of this because that is my work schedule for now. On days that I dont work, I still try to stay with that schedule.

Mon - Thur normally I hit the gym for a 10 - 15 min stint on the eliptical before I head home for the day. They close at 8pm and I get off work at 7:30pm.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I am just starting my journey but from what I do know, I agree with the others about how you may be eating too little, especially if you have had an increase in exercise. I don't know anything about WW so I can't translate your point info into calorie info. Anywho, that's my small 2 cents worth. Hope your plateau ends soon!
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote