General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Default Can Alaska chicks put me straight?

With Alaska so much in the news lately because of Sarah Palin and Ted Stevens, I have a question: I always thought Juneau was the capital of Alaska, but when Matt Lauer was interviewing Gov. Palin on the Today show he said she commutes every day from Wasilla to Anchorage, and the news reports on the Senate recount come from Anchorage. What is your capital?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

It's Juneau
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Juneau is the capital, but the majority of hte population lives in or around either Anchorage or Fairbanks.

If you look at a map of Alaska,there's a part that sort of slides down the Gulf of Alaska and nestles up against the Yukon and British Columbia. That part is where Juneau is located, but it's not accessible by road. It's only accessible by plane or boat, so it tends to be less populated.

And because most of the population is in the larger landmass which is more easily accessible, there are a lot of government buildings and "annex" type offices in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-13-2008 at 01:04 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Thanks.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #5  
Mellow but Sassy

S/C/G: 280/255/160

Height: 5' 11"

There is an official governor's mansion and office are in Juneau. She's generally only down there when legislature is in session. I never really paid attention to how much time or where Murkowski stayed when he was governor.

Mom sent me a picture a few weeks ago where her class took a picture holding a homemade Obama banner in front of the mansion. It was kind of cute because they thought they were doing something really bad and kept looking around like they were going to get in trouble (her class ranges from kindergarten to 7th grade).
Zen Pharmacy is offline   Reply With Quote