Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #1  

Default What to expect @ first meeting

My therapist told me that I have a food addiction. I will admit that I obsess over food and eat nonstop at night.

I was at the library this past weekend and someone had put some flyers on the desk and it said in big bold letters....Do you have a problem with food??? It was as if I was meant to see it, I hadn't planned on going to the library that day, it was a spur of the moment trip.

I'm a member of weight watchers and attend meetings weekly but I still have issues with bingeing at night. I thought OA might help.

So what can I expect?

Amanda
nicolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #2  

Amanda,

Congratulations for having the courage to look honestly at whether or not you have a problem with food. That takes guts!!

I've been in OA for about 7 months so far and it has totally changed my life. I had tried and tried for years to "put down the fork," but I just couldn't seem to stop. I have an especially strong problem with sweets like cakes, cookies, etc. Since joining OA, I haven't had any sweets for seven months!!! I never would have believed it if I hadn't given it a try.

If you are anything like me, here is what to expect:

1. You will be vary nervous at your first meeting. It will feel very strange and you will wonder if you really belong.

2. The format will seem odd to you. People always start by saying something like "I'm John and I'm a food addict," followed by the entire room saying "Hi John!" This feels very strange. I have since figured out that this is a great way for everyone to learn each other's names. It really helps!

3. You will see some people there that don't look like they belong. They will have skinny bodies and look like they couldn't possibly have an eating disorder. This is just a sign that the program works.

4. You will see several overweight people there. Let's face it, many people with our disease have weight problems. Many are just starting down the road to recovery.

5. After your first meeting, you will probably feel like you haven't learned very much. This is normal. You need to give it a little time and ease into what you are doing. Don't expect immediate answers. Just trust that the program has worked for thousands of people just like you.

Please feel free to post back here with your first impressions! By the way, to find a meeting in your area, go to oa.org and do a quick search. Good luck!

Tony
tvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #3  

Thanks for the reply.

I know I have a problem with food. I do okay during the day while I'm at work, but once I'm home I eat all night. I've been known to get up in the middle of the night and eat.

I've been reading the old threads and have listened to a few podcasts at the OA site. The meeting is Thursday. I'm looking forward to it, I think it's just what I need. Weight Watchers is great and I get alot from those meetings, but I need more. We've talked about eating when you're not hungry, but for me it's more than that...it's like I'm a slave to the food.

Thanks again for the response!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #4  

Way to go Amanda!! I can't wait to hear how your first meeting went! Listening to podcasts before going to my first meeting helped me A LOT. I'm glad to hear you are using that resource.

Keep us posted.

Tony
Old 11-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #5  

Well, the meeting was last night. There were 4 people there...2 "old timers" and 2 newcomers. It was an interesting meeting and I feel like I got something from it. I plan on going back next week. While I was there I got the 12 steps & traditions book but I haven't started reading it yet. Heck, I haven't even looked over the packet of brochures they gave me.

Tvalle...if you don't mind me asking, what is your abstinence?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #6  

Amanda,

Congrats on going to your first meeting!!! I hope you can commit to going to 5 or 6 meetings before you decide whether or not the program is for you.

My abstinence is three meals a day with nothing in between and no sugar. For me, I had a lot of problems with snacking throughout the day and I ESPECIALLY had a problem with sweets of all kinds.

Remember that everyone gets to set their own abstinence and that abstinence often changes for people. I started out cutting all white flour as well, but I found it just wasn't very reasonable for my situation. So it's no longer part of my abstinence. No big deal.

What part of the world do you live in? Are there many meetings? I'm in Indianapolis, IN and we are lucky to have several meetings scattered about the city.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #7  

I'm still trying to decide what my abstinence will be. I occasionally need a snack in the late afternoon, so I may decide to include that in my meal plan. I'm a member of weight watchers and have been for several months, and I'd like to incorporate that in my meal plan some how.

I live in Bristol, VA. There's not a meeting in here, but there is one on the TN side (Bristol is in 2 states). There's also one in Johnson city which is about 30 minutes from here, but I don't want to drive that far. I may start doing a meeting or two online if I feel like I need the extra support.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #8  

Amanda,

I know several OA members who use weight watchers as their meal plan. As far as figuring out your own abstinence, I would strongly suggest getting a sponsor. Sponsors are really key to the OA program. You should be able to ask anyone at your meetings to be your sponsor. Just find someone who seems to have what you want.

Good luck!

TV
Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #9  

How long had you been going to meetings before you asked someone to be your sponsor? I don't know if I should wait until I've been to at least 6 meetings to ask someone or if I should get someone now.

How long have you been abstinent?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #10  

Amanda,

I asked someone to be my sponsor about three or four weeks into meetings. The only reason I waited this long was that I felt I needed a male sponsor, and there just aren't many guys in our meetings.

If you are like me, you might feel like you are "bothering" someone else by asking them to be your sponsor. I have since learned that we actually help our sponsors GREATLY, and that a vast majority of people feel very lucky when they are asked to be a sponsor. Sponsoring YOU will actually help keep YOUR SPONSOR abstinent.

I've been abstinent for just under 7 months. It hasn't been perfect and my abstinence has changed a bit over time. You will figure out your own abstinence over time.

You are doing great!!! It takes real courage to go down this path. You are definitely an inspiration to me. Thanks!

TV