Old 11-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Very Disheartening

I've been following the Jennifer Hudson family murder case since it happened (I'm a retired criminal paralegal). It just struck me tonight that on every single website where they post articles or stories about her sister Julia, there are hundreds of comments about her weight. That big fat pig Julia. Putting all the real issues of the story aside, isn't it sad that even when most of somebody's family is murdered, people still focus on her weight.

They even mentioned that her dead brother was so big (450 lbs) that it took 12 policemen to carry his body out.

Are we/heavy people really that revolting to the general public? I don't want to get in this mindset, but it's bothering me tonight.

Thanks for listening.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I have to admit that I haven't been following it that closely, but the articles I've read haven't mentioned weight at all. In fact until I just read this thread, I wasn't aware of the weight issues in the case.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #3  
:)

Height: 5'7

I'm not suprised though- some people are just rude. Makes me so .
oneupsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/187/130

Height: 5'4

That's so sad!
Jo7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I'm not talking about on the "real" news stories, but all the sites where they talk about celebrities and stories such as this. People are just vicious on the subject.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I think you're missing the bigger picture -- people in general, and internet trolls in particular, are a$$holes

If it's any consolation, on many many threads I've seen comments that Cheryl on Dancing with the STars ( i don't watch it but i know what she looks like) is a fat pig?! huh? LOL

again, when in doubt, just remember that people are a$$holes
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #7  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

For me I try to take it as a reminder that healthy bodies are more attractive than unhealthy bodies. I mean I wish people weren't jerks about it, but I don't know anyone who isn't more attracted to a healthy body than an unhealthy one.

Is weight the only part of health? Heaven's no. But when I hear someone comment on needing 12 people to get someone out of a house, I have to admit that I am somewhat turned off by this as well. The last guy I dated was overweight, about the same as me, and I broke it off because I realized I wasn't attracted to him because of his body (among other things) and I think physical attraction is important in a dating relationship.

This all seems so hypocritical to me so I've been wrestling with it for a few months. I think what I'm trying to get at is that I don't blame people who are turned off by unhealthy bodies. I am too. The difference is how you treat someone. I guess I live by the idea that most people are doing the best they can in that moment. So I don't dislike a person or even blame them - who knows what their story is - for how they look. But at the same time I don't think big is beautiful. I think healthy is beautiful.

I don't know if this makes any sense. I'm still sorting it out in my own head. I think part of it is people in my life who have told me that weight shouldn't matter. I think they're trying to make me feel better, but I don't think they really believe that and I certainly don't believe that.

Ok well that was me processing my thoughts through the keyboard, lol. What do you guys think?
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I've dated a few over weight guys when I was thin in Jr. High and High School it was never an issue me. I've never even thought about them being over weight just that I found something that I like and wanted to spend time with them. Skinny, Fluffy, Healthy didn't matter their personality did. Maybe it was my moms talk with me about dating only for looks and that doesn't mean a guy is going to treat you well so close your eyes and think about him as a person. Then choose. My mom also said give yourself sometime for being you don't be in a hurry to get married and wash some guys underware. LOL
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I like a man with some physical substance, kwim? I actually prefer them over thin men. In fact, some of my closest female friends are obese. My dream job would be to work at an obesity hospital--even if it was volunteer work.

Are their shallow jerks out there? Sure. They have more problems though on the inside--they just don't show on the scale.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #10  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

I definitely can't just look on the inside. For me personality and sense of humor and having common values is about 85% of it. But 15% of it is physical attractiveness. I really can't get past someone who smells bad or has poor personal hygeine, and hairstyle is big for me. I just don't think I could be with a guy with a combover for example. Maybe that does make me shallow but I can't make myself be attracted to someone, hehe.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #11  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I'm with mezmerize. How a person treats others and comports himself is how I determine attractiveness. Size doesn't factor into it at all. Cleanliness does though! I"m friends with people who are fat, and people who are thin, but the people who don't wash their hands after going to the loo are someone else's friends!

Last edited by DishyFishy; 11-10-2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Typo
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #12  
Go Patriots!!!!

S/C/G: 277

Height: 5'9"

I still can't believe that happened... and when articles are posted online, people just go crazzy writing crap... Im not surprised that they attacked their weight.. its just a shame...
ProvGirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote