Old 11-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7

Default Hey, Does Anyone drink their breakfast?

Hey,

I am not a breakfast eater but I know about how breakfast eaters are better eaters....blah, blah, blah....anyone drink their breakfast?

I was doing my meal planning and realized I 'm not crazy about dairy either...not a yogurt fan really, especially not early in the morn....at night I can pretend it's ice cream.

But the thought occured to me that I do love smoothies and chocolate milk (even the chocolate Silk (soy milk) is pretty good).

I was thinking that a fruit and dairy may be a good combo.....saving protiens and carbs for later in the day when I like to eat.

What do you think....I am open to suggestions, ideas and insights!

Thanks,
thinkerbell
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Um ... fruit and dairy IS proteins and carbs.

I don't see anything wrong with a smoothie for breakfast as long as you make it a healthy one and don't over do your calorie limits.

I don't usually do them for breakfast because I've gotten to enjoy having something to eat in the morning, but I can think of tons of options and possibilities. You could also throw in a scoop of protein powder if you were so inclined and wanted to boost your protein intake.

I buy frozen fruit at Costco - everything from wild blueberries to mixed fruit to strawberries to peaches to mangoes. You could really experiment with your own fruit blends. Start with a serving of milk or yogurt, throw in whatever fruit combo you want, maybe a little honey to sweeten if you think you need it, and whirl in a blender.

Definitely a good healthy breakfast and something different from sitting down and cooking an egg or whatever.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #3  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

How about a soy milk smoothie? I make them now and then and they are pretty good.

Just put about a cup of low fat soy milk (I like vanilla flavoured... Use what you like) some frozen berries or other fruit and, if needed a little ice and Splenda. Whiz it until it is smooth. Yummy, filling and drinkable. I suppose, if you need extra protein, you could add some protein powder, too. Chocolate soy milk and strawberries or raspberries might be really delish. (I should try that... )

I end up drinking about half of my breakfast calories every morning with my daily latte.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #4  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I am known to drink on occasion this smoothie. 1 cup chocolate skinny cow milk, toss in a banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and 1/2 cup of dry oats, add about a cup of ice and blend in my smoothie machine. Rich and delish!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe View Post
I am known to drink on occasion this smoothie. 1 cup chocolate skinny cow milk, toss in a banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and 1/2 cup of dry oats, add about a cup of ice and blend in my smoothie machine. Rich and delish!
Dry oats, really? I would have never thought of that.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #6  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hey Julie-
Yup dry oats, which adds fiber & protein! You won't know they are even in there, I use the old fashioned big oats and they get ground up to nothin. When I crave a milkshake, this is what I make time and time again it is super satisfying and very filling!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #7  

Oooh .. yeah. Oats is a good idea. The rolled oats grind up nicely and help make a really thick creamy smoothie. And they're good for you! )

Old 11-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #8  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe View Post

Man that sounds yummy! I want one now!
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #9  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
The rolled oats grind up nicely and help make a really thick creamy smoothie.
At my house ground rolled oats are a staple - we kind of use them instead of flour. I.e. making pancakes etc. If you leave some drenched in water the night before, they can be pretty much added to anything.
They can make a good top crust to an over-baked dish.

Also, I used to add them to my scrambled eggs in the morning. The final delicious touch. My mum even used to warm up a cup of milk with xylitol and put some oats in there.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Um ... fruit and dairy IS proteins and carbs.

Photo chick,

Ooops......you are so right. Seems I still see "diets" thru the WW model back in the late 80's.....fruits, fats, veggies, proteins, milks, carbs/starches....it was how I came to understand food/diets and it remains my reference as I did have much success back then and felt it was balanced nutritionally. Never was a fan of the points!

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I think I am going to try it and see if my body likes it.....balancing not too hungry and the numbers going down.

Thanks again!

I found some recipes for smoothies on the South Beach recipe threads.

thinkerbell
thinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #11  

Quote:
At my house ground rolled oats are a staple - we kind of use them instead of flour. I.e. making pancakes etc. If you leave some drenched in water the night before, they can be pretty much added to anything.
Same here. I have a great pumpkin muffin recipe that I use oat flour in. And as a thickener in soups, it's great too. I use whole rolled oats in meatloaf as well, in place of breadcrumbs. Gotta love rolled oats!
Old 11-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #12  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

I'm not into soy milk because it messes with my thyroid meds - but I my unsweetened Almond (vanilla, plain or chocolate) milk. 45 cals for a cup. Add ice, splenda and 1/2 a frozen banana...maybe some protein powder..good stuff.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #13  
150 by my 50th!!!

S/C/G: 341/261.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Same here. I have a great pumpkin muffin recipe that I use oat flour in. And as a thickener in soups, it's great too. I use whole rolled oats in meatloaf as well, in place of breadcrumbs. Gotta love rolled oats!
I love using rolled oats in recipes. I make the crustless pumpkin pie from the WW boards that is only 1 pt per serving and it is so good and so filling. I like it for breakfast and times I am craving something "dessert like" topped with SF cool whip.

I also love my turkey meatloaf that I make with rolled oats and stewed tomatoes. It is so good and so filling and a big slice is only 3.4 ww points.

As far as smoothies, I have to agree with Photo Chick...I have gotten used to having solid to eat at breakfast but I will have a smoothie if I am running late. I have alot of good recipes for smoothies and alot of them are from the prevention fitness trainer Chris Freytag (I also have her smoothie blender-so easy to make a smoothie, pop on the lid and go) and vary them with frozen fruits that I buy from Costco. One of my favorites is lowfat chocolate soy milk, a banana and a handful of frozen blueberries....YUM

Last edited by Arlene Dallas; 11-02-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #14  
Relaxation Master

If I am working I usually blend up a protein shake.
Brands I use include:
Unjury
BSN Lean Dessert (I can't handle the sweetener in this one if I am not home)
FIXX

They all are good. Only the two without "splenda"/sucralose, or any of the sugar alcohols I am not able to stomach.
I mix them with water and frozen fruit.
I can't "do" milk. I'm sure they would be thicker with the milk but I like them the way they are.
nybor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 PM   #15  
BELIEVE!

Photo - Would you share your pumpkin muffin recipe with me? I'm in the mood for something pumpkiny. I tried the pumpkin fluff stuff but it just didn't do it for me.

I make a smoothie every morning. I include 2T of flaxseed everyday and I have found that the smoothie is the easiest way for me to get it in. I also have a long commute to work so I have the smoothie in the car and then have something to eat when I get to work.

I typically blend up:
2T ground flax
1/2 c unsweetened Almond Breeze
1/4 c Tropicana Lite OJ
1/2 banana
1/4 c strawberries, blueberries...whatever I have around
packet of splenda

It's only about 150 calories and is a great start to my day.

Occassionally I'll include a little peanut butter or protein powder. I'm going to have to try out the rolled oats one of these days.

Barb
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote