Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #1  

Default just a quick gripe (those seem common around here ;) )

I just got asked by my boss after a work party why I don't eat pizza.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH
Without having to go into the whole "I lost weight...don't want to put it back on...I actually DO eat pizza, but only on the weekend, and not this type, but the nice nongreasy brick oven type etc....." (so awkward), I had to say something, so I told her that I like to save that kind of thing for the weekend. (the truth) Anyway, I feel SO AWKWARD and singled out. THAT's what's so hard about all this for me-the hardest part isn't resisting the fattening stuff-it's feeling awkward and singled out for NOT eating it! Just had to gripe. Thanks for reading.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:08 PM   #2  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

I know how you feel. Sometimes I just don't want to talk about what I'm eating or what I'm not eating and why I'm losing weight and how much I lost...sometimes I'm in the mood for it and sometimes not.

I just say I'm not hungry and that I ate already which is always true because I eat six times a day.

Hugs for you!
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #3  

Thanks. It can get so annoying. I just want to be left alone.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:15 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My response to that..."Oh, I'd like to, but it just doesn't agree with me."

It isn't lying. That type of food makes it harder for you to maintain your weight, which doesn't agree with you. And it'll make him feel awkward for asking you such a personal, annoying question.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I don't think anyone needs to feel they have to make excuses for what they do or do not eat. Except for your doctor, it's really no one's business. If someone is persistent, I just tell them I'm eating for my health. Period.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:46 PM   #6  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I usually say something along the lines of "I try to limit the not so healthy stuff" (something I would say e.g. when a frozen Dairy Queen cake is served - I would rather have a slice of pizza than the ice cream cake, but that's personal preference). Most people don't ask me any more because they got used to, long time ago, that I eat a few times during the day and different food than the rest. My colleagues would typically say "Ah, you are having the healthy stuff again" or something like that, but without smirking or anything. I have actually inspired a whole bunch of girls in the office to sign up with a gym and exercise because they admired my weight loss. (I think they are less successful in the change of their eating habits, although I cannot say for sure because most of them eat out and do not bring their own lunches, etc).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:08 PM   #7  

I actually kinda went through the same thing today. Normally on payday we order out pizza.(one of the loves of my life) Today I decided not to. I had to explain to most people that "hey I just lost 6 pds. and I don"t want to start up any bad habits again" I was pretty proud I turned it down. A small step in being healthy
plumpnursy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 PM   #8  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumpnursy View Post
I actually kinda went through the same thing today. Normally on payday we order out pizza.(one of the loves of my life) Today I decided not to. I had to explain to most people that "hey I just lost 6 pds. and I don"t want to start up any bad habits again" I was pretty proud I turned it down. A small step in being healthy

Keep it up!
SBD Sass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Honestly I think a lot of us are so sensitive to issues about our weight that we over personalize some of these questions. And I personally think that as a society we've gotten really weird about personal questions anyway. People think it's ok to ask all kinds of personal questions in depth about finances, diet, jobs, sex life, whatever. And people over-share all the time. But then someone asks *them* a question that they feel is invasive or touches a nerve and they get upset. (Not saying this is what the OP did, just that it's a trend I've noticed in general.)

It's hard to know where to stop and start any more or to judge what will offend one person and not another.

In this case it sounds to me like a question someone would ask either as conversation. Or, it could be genuine concern if this is someone who doesn't know you very well - are you allergic? Or is there something about pizza that *I* don't know that I should be avoiding for too? Or anything like that.

Quote:
I usually say something along the lines of "I try to limit the not so healthy stuff"
I like Tomato's response the best because it doesn't attack the person for just asking a question and possibly just trying to be friendly or concerned.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 151.4/142.6/137

Height: 5'6

People are kinda personal about their weight period. I know when people are shoving junk in my face and I say no, a lot of people get kinda quiet or wierd, some even avoid me. I know it has to do with some people not wanting to deal with their eating demons. I've been there, I know what it's like.....lately I've just kinda been keeping my healthly choices to myself....I'm selective about who I open up to about it.
3kiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It could be that your boss, having noticed that you don't eat pizza, was thinking maybe to provide food that you CAN eat.

Did you think to ask why she was asking?

When we choose to eat more healthy food, and not eat junky food, some people are bound to notice. But you'll find things to say that will deflect the attention without causing it to be any big deal. Lots of us have been there!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #12  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

That is a tough one because you don't want to make it sound like you're high and mighty and pizza is for Neanderthals

I like the "it doesn't agree with me". Personally I am not shy and I would just say I was on a diet. Like JayEll said, maybe it was an opening for the boss to ask what he/she could offer as an alternative for those that don't eat pizza.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

[QUOTE=SBD Sass;2433410]I know how you feel. Sometimes I just don't want to talk about what I'm eating or what I'm not eating and why I'm losing weight and how much I lost...sometimes I'm in the mood for it and sometimes not.QUOTE]

sometimes the questions can be a bit tough. if you are not a close friend or family member, it is not okay to ask me how much weight I've lost! i actually feel really embarassed when acquaintances ask me about my weight. Its like they must have noticed how fat i was, to notice that I've lost weight. and what if i gain? will they take note of that too? maybe say something about it? ugh. the general public needs a little lesson in tact!
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #14  
150 by my 50th!!!

S/C/G: 341/261.4/150

Height: 5'7"

I have NEVER been a sweet eater and most anyone that knows me is aware...the one I get asked about all the time is why dont I drink?
Arlene Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
the general public needs a little lesson in tact!
And then there are those on the board who get upset if someone DOESN'T notice how much weight they've lost and ask them how they're doing and compliment them. See ... that's the problem. You say they need a lesson in tact, while someone else says they need to be more caring and not hurt feelings by not noticing all the hard work.

Which is why I believe pretty strongly that we all need to cut people slack in these situations. Because for every person who *doesn't* want to be asked about her weight, there's someone who *does* want to be asked - and will be hurt if she isn't.

So really anyone is put in a damned-if-they-do-damned-if-they-don't situation. It's really not fair to them.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote