Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default green tea & weight loss?

Hi--

I've been skimming the news lately and I came across something that caught my eye: drinking green tea helps with losing weight?

This an urban myth or is there some truth to it? Any links?

Thanks!
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

I saw the same thing and decided to give it a try. I ave a cup of green tea each morning while I check e-mail and before I exercise. I have found that I have more energy when I drink the green tea. I am on WW as well, but I have steadily lost between 1.5-3.5 lbs per week.

I'm not sure if it's the green tea, the diet plan, the exercise or a combo of everything, but I do like the energy burst I get as I begin exercising!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

The energy burst is because of the caffeine.

Green tea does help burn a few extra calories...but it IS just a few. You won't lose weight drinking green tea if you keep with regular eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle. It won't do anything for you on it's own.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #4  
it's always something

Few is right According to the only published study, if you drink 4 cups of green tea every single day, you can lose 8 pounds in a year. Results were seen with real tea, not green tea extracts or supplements.

It's worth it to drink the tea for the antioxidants.

Also, drinking a cup of tea can help you keep from eating other foods with calories, by providing comfort or other satisfaction. So it can really help that way.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

I agree with aphil. Just drinking green tea isn't going to make pounds fall off. I did add it to my program fairly early on, and I do think it helped me with making the bazillion other gradual changes I've made in my eating habits, but I wouldn't fall for any "miracle" claims - plain old grocery store green tea will have exactly the same benefit as the amazinly expensive ones labeled as "diet aids".
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #6  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

for antioxidant properties..sure drinking a cup or two helps.

if you want weight loss, 1 or 2 cups do nothing. look into green tea extract if you want to incorporate it for weight loss purposes.
ndnguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #7  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I say drink it if you like it, but if you can't stand it, don't force yourself to. I like Arizona's diet iced green teas, but nothing beats black hot. ;D
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote