Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/180

Height: 5'3 1/2

Question Hungry, hungry hippo.

Well, I'm hungry. Yep, hungry. I feel hungry all day and I'm sick and tired of it. I don;t know if it's because I'm bored or if I find it as a comfort.
I'm a smoker and when I feel hungry (even after a big meal) I usually just light a cigarette and feel better for about an hour or so... Then the hunger starts back up... I find myself smoking a lot more than I did (from like 5 cigarettes a day to a whole pack).

Any advice on how to break the eating all day habbit?
xEmilyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Are you really hungry? Or do you just want the taste in your mouth? You really need to look at it from all angles. To me the fact you smoke suggests it's more about having something in your mouth. Some people find chewing gum helps, you could try drinking sugar free juice for the taste. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating at regular intervals so long as you're not 'grazing'.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/159/130

Height: 5'6"

If you are a bored eater, than I feel your pain! If I'm bored, I usually eat. I have to really think a lot of times if I'm truly hungry, or if I am just killing time by eating. I could snack all day, honestly.

Things that work for me is to obviously try to occupy my mind if I'm getting into that bored eating mood. If I'm still hungry, I'll have a light snack like fruit or yogurt or something and definitely drink some water.

You may want to find some light and low calorie snacks to eat when you have the munchies. Sometimes when you deny yourself and try to hold off you might end up binging. So things like fruit, air popped popcorn (no butter), oatmeal with fruit and nuts, carrots, etc might be what you need to fill your snacking with until you start to get it under control.
inanesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: oh **** no!/on my way/157

Height: 5'9"

I am not sure how long you have been working on changing your eating habits but it usually takes 1-2 weeks before your body adjusts to the new levels of food. During that time, it is not unusual to feel hungry pretty often. I would plan out a bunch of snacks that are about 100-150 calories then set a schedule for the day. Once you have eaten your snack then no more until the next one, maybe 2 hours later.

You are smoking more to distract yourself from the hunger so try to not get hungry by eating more often!!
urockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

The first two weeks, I was hungry ALL THE TIME too! It does go away, after about two weeks. Pretty soon you will start to not feel hungry all the time as your body adjusts to the new portions of food you are giving it. It will pass, just stick with it, the hardest part is the first couple of weeks. Once you get past that, you will become full with a lot less food & you will start to hardly ever feel hungry. Stick with it though!
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 136/130/119

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I try to drink a glass of water, and if that doesn't help, I move to gum. I always have a diet coke with lime between 1-2 pm, hoping that will ease my post-lunch sweet craving.
kmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #7  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

I usually graze all day on healthy healthy food. Which is (for me) infinitely better than my former habit of having a full on binge on chips right after work.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 135/132.5/125

Height: 5ft4in

Hey em,

Put it into perspective...

The cigarettes, most definetly pose the greatest threat to your health. Please give up the smoking. I remember a time where I thought "**** that, I'd rather be dying of lung cancer or heart disease, than be fat." Then, I became a nurse, who cares for cardiac patients as well as patients who have lung Ca. Cancer victims are getting younger and younger, and all of them are ex smokers.
Kataclismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

uuuggggg... true to the above on smoking.

i used to smoke and honestly your post made me really want a cigarette. so i appreciate that post, kataclismic! a great reminder of why i QUIT!!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #10  
eat less, move more!

Height: 5' 2"

Oh... i think i know what your problem is.
You have an oral fixation.
I smoked for years and it wasn't until i tried to quit that i realized i had an oral fixation. I have also been a nail biter in the past. It is simply a hand to mouth habit.
There are things you can do to occupy your mouth and your hands, but i'm not sure i should go into detail, this isn't that kind of a forum.
I remember when i quit smoking was when i discovered art. I always had something to do with my hands. As for something to do with your mouth... use your imagination.
Billies Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote