Old 10-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #1  
Changing Inside and Out

S/C/G: 276/249/150

Height: 5'5"

Question What would you do?

So last week the scale I have been using to track my losses, well, lets just say, ummm, ewwwwww. Something sticky got spilled on it. Ya, how does something sticky get anywhere near the bathroom door? I have no idea and of course the 4 children that live here are absolutely clueless too...ya right.

I went out and bought a new scale. Now, my old scale showed I had lost 32 lbs with a weight of 241 and then without any change in my diet and alot more exercise, I gained 3 lbs. Grrrrr. The new scale says I am 249. Grrrrr. I always use the same scale to determine how much weight I have lost, but now I feel I am going backwards and am totally frustrated. I refuse to get on the scale again until Monday after being back on plan for a week. Oh yea, I went on a maintenance week kinda. I just ate a bit more and slacked off on the exercise from 6 days to 3.

How would you handle this situation?
luvin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #2  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Yea, I made the mistake of climbing on someone else's scale a couple weeks ago.. it upped me like 10+ lbs too... sigh... My scale at home is old and unreliable so I am going to buy a new scale tonight and will go with whatever it says.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #3  

ugh! That sucks! I'm so worried about this happening when I switch to a better scale. I would probably just bite the bullet and make the switch, you've still lost the same amount of weight, you just started out a little more than you were thinking. I know, that probably doesn't help.
MamaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #4  
Changing Inside and Out

S/C/G: 276/249/150

Height: 5'5"

I figured thats what I would do. Just go with what the new scale says and up my beginning weight by a few lbs.

And as a side note, I have not stepped on the scale since the day after I bought it, over a week ago. I want to see some dramatic loss next time I step on it. Prolly wont be as low as I was on my old scale, but I want to be way below that 249 figure.
luvin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I have an old scale, it is reliable but not valid. Over the years I have discovered it is about five pounds light. Since I'm most interested in "relative" weight, I use that weight for my ticker. I adjust the five pounds when using a BMI calculator.

I figure at some point I will get a new scale, at that point I'll adjust both my beginning weight and my current weight...but I'm in no hurry.

Your plan sounds like a good one, no matter how depressing it is to see the numbers go up. Remember, the new scale may weigh heavy!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I can definitely feel those scale woe's! I bought a new scale - and it upped my weight by 20 pounds!!!!!! I cried, it was totally depressing. Eventually I got over it, but it was a total shocker!

I'd up your starting weight, because either way you've still lost 32 pounds!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

I agree with SwimGirl, you lost 30lbs, that is great. As for the new scale, your weight is what it is. Now time to move forward, you know what you need to do, just get back on track, you can do it, and that new scale will also show you what you want to see.

As a side note, I found getting on the scale daily was making me crazy, so I only step on the scale once a week, those daily up and downs, can make me go right to the naughty stuff.

Continued Success-you are doing Great
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Excuse me 32lbs
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #9  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Wouldn't you know it the new scales never say you weight 10lb less But on a serious note look on this positively look how much weight you have lost. Think back to when you began your weight loss journey you would have been over the moon to have lose that amount that you have. You have done so well don't let this hiccup in your weight loss journey be an excuse to return back to your old eating habits.

So chin up and go on boldly knowing you can do this and achieve your mini goals along the way and ultimately your goal weight.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote