Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Anyone else dance with the scale?

So, I get to 250, get all excited since I haven't been past it on forever, and then I have a bad day the day before I'll get to 249, gain about 6 pound in water weight from being bloated, then get to 250...get excited...eat...lose...

So I've been doing that for awhile. I coulda been past 250 a month ago.

QUITE frustrated. Too bad my emotions are so into this...maybe I should stop caring so much about it all, then I'll finally get to where I want to go? Nom nom nom!!!

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #2  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

fluctuation in weight is normal... the main thing is that ya stick to your plan because you will see results.

I cant handle weighing myself more than once a week - I get too wrapped up in the number and let it control my emotions if I check more than once a week. Maybe take a break from the scale for awhile and focus on how many on plan days you can do in a row, make sure you take your measurments too! The scale is not the only way to measure your success1€
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

As of last night the scale was hidden from me and it only comes out every sunday
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I'm a daily weigher, and I so understand your frustration. It is SOOO hard when the scale bumps back up to an unwanted middle number that you hoped was gone for good.

I logged my daily weigh-in in Excel and then did some number crunching. I built in extra columns for average weight per week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 weeks, 2 months.

It helped put things in perspective. Usually at least ONE of those columns was going down - which reminded me of my progress and helped me see the big picture instead of my daily frustration.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

To get power over the scale, I went the "other way," and instead of weighing only once weekly (because if the number didn't go down or didn't go down enough, I was bummed the entire week), I weighed at least once a day, at first several times a day for a while, to really get familiar with my weight fluctuations. I found out a lot about those weight fluctuations, and even sometimes what caused them. I also stopped seeing the scale as my enemy, but as a tool, and nothing more.

Now, I still weigh daily (usually only once), but only my Monday weight counts. I write them down daily, but there's a special place for the weight that "counts."

It does seem that either by chance, or sometimes a poorly timed higher calorie day, that the day after I change my ticker, I'm up a pound or two. I really don't do the superbinges anymore, so it's usually water weight from salt rather than true weight, but it would be discouraging if I let it be. Instead, I push the water a little more and watch the sodium especially, and usually within a day or two, I'm back to the lowest weight.

For me, not caring about it so much, really was a component of success. For me, when weight loss was the most important thing in my life, it ruled my life, my emotions, and tempted me to do crazy things to get the weight off fast (which then inspired the starvation/deprivation feelings that led to binges, guilt, self-hatred, more deprivation as punishment, more guilt... the cycle was endless).

When I took the emotion out of the process, it helped. Of course, I can't dismiss taking the hormones and hunger-triggering carbs out of the equation
also (changing bc and reducing carbs), as they were the other two main components in my hunger-binge cycle.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #6  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

I used to weigh every morning, but now the mornings are getting darker i am only able to weigh on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday morning - basically the days my boyfriend isnt staying over. I dont like to wake him up earlier than needed so i just dont do it. Its always good practice to get me to weigh only once in a while!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote