Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #1  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Unhappy This Wagon is SHRINKING!

Moan, Moan, Moan. know that I've posted lately about gaining weight without changing my habits. BUT- it is about four pounds this month now! Eating 1400-1500 cal/day-Really- I count and measure. Cardio- 1 hr, 5 days/wk. Weights and yoga- 1 hr, 2 days a week. No changes in foods or other habits. I'm considering going to 1200-1300 cal/day to keep the weight off. It is getting harder to "stay on the Wagon" when my Wagon is shrinking. Feels like I'll be standing on one foot next! Anyone else needing to keep calroies this low to stay at your goal? P.S. I have a Dr.s appt. on 12/1/08 to check my bloodwork. Soonest that I could get .
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #2  
Meg

Circebee, I'm glad you made the appointment to see your doctor! Being hypothyroid myself, I can tell you that your thyroid and other metabolic conditions can definitely impact your weight loss and maintenance. Best to find out for sure.

Have you had your body composition tested recently? Scales can be misleading because all they measure is "weight" and can't tell whether it's pounds of fat, water, or muscle. Considering your calories and workout schedule, gaining four pounds of fat in a month just doesn't make any sense at all. So I'm wondering if it could be added muscle and/or some water retention?

If that's not it, the only other thought I have is that your body may be fighting you in trying to maintain at such a low weight for your height. Your BMI is 19 and though it's still within the healthy range, it's on the low end. Maybe it's just not sustainable for you? Just a thought ...

Hang in there, sweetie! You'll get it figured out.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #3  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

115 seems too small for someone who is 5'5. Is that 115 lbs? You want to lose more?
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #4  
Yogasaurus

Whew! Just in from a 5 mile power walk- take that calories! My fear is thatI had been holding on at 114 pounds for over a year, and suddenly am going up! My weight range on the "charts" is 111-144, so 114 has been fine for me. No such luck on muscle gain, my scale readings of Percent Body Fat have held at 20-21 percent. I'm not unhappy at 118 pounds, just worried because I do not know how I got here!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Circebee - I'm going to agree with Meg on this one, on all counts. Start looking at measures other than just the scale (my scale goes crazy with stress. You know, that really helps the stress, too...the scale going all over the place), and consider evaluating whether that goal is really sustainable for you. My original goal wasn't - I've gone up 3-4 lbs since then and my body seems MUCH happier and can maintain on more calories with less stress.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #6  
Yogasaurus

Thank you so much, guys, for your support and wise words. This just hits a trigger for me- but, you all have been through one form of this or another, too, at some point along the line. That is why I LOOOOVE theis forum! Now, I need to just focus on health, not only the number given by the Oracle Tanita (that's my brand of scale) every morning!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #7  
No description available.

My weight fluctuates a lot---this last week I have weighed anywhere from 151 to 157 and back down to 152. If the only measure I would have looked at this week was the 157, I might have stressed a little bit, but it was just a blip. Do you weigh everyday?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Circebee - I'm going to agree with Meg on this one, on all counts. Start looking at measures other than just the scale (my scale goes crazy with stress. You know, that really helps the stress, too...the scale going all over the place), and consider evaluating whether that goal is really sustainable for you. My original goal wasn't - I've gone up 3-4 lbs since then and my body seems MUCH happier and can maintain on more calories with less stress.
Me too! My "happy weight" is 6 lbs. over my goal (which was very scientifically arrived at - NOT!) and I look and feel great at it.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 AM   #9  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Circebee, I so feel for you because I am in the same place. My weight has been up a few lbs and it's killing me to see that number on the scale. Even though I am otherwise fairly happy with how I look and all my clothes still fit, that number still feels like failure. It's really a struggle to get past it.

But I do have to say that 115 is really ambitious and probably a little low for someone who is 5'5. I know because I'm a little over an inch shorter than you and I can't maintain that weight.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:50 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Circebee - I'm right at your height and I don't think there is anything in the world that would take me below 120! I'm hovering at 121.1-121.7 with 1600-1700 calories per day. I've decided that is my happy weight and I don't want to go any lower on calories.

I know that the weight gain with no change in diet or exercise is frustrating, hang in there!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote