General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 10:11 PM   #1  

Question American Diabetes Diet

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE IS ON A SPECIAL DIET TO CONTROL DIABETES? I WAS TOLD THAT YOU EAT 3 SMALL MEALS A DAY AND 3 SNACKS WHICH KEEPS YOUR BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL AND ALSO HELPS YOU lose weight. THE FOOD THAT YOU EAT IS JUST EVERYDAY FOOD BUT YOU TRY TO STAY AWAY FROM FATS AND KEEP YOUR CARBS DOWN. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME BETTER INSIGHT IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO FOLLOW THIS EATING PLAN? IF YOU GO ON THE WEB PAGE FOR AMERICAN DIABETES THEY INSIST THAT YOU HAVE A DIETICIAN MAKE AN EATING PLAN FOR YOU. HOPE THAT SOMEONE CAN HELP ME . THANKS
Old 04-13-2002, 05:35 PM   #2  
Teacher chick

I would also like to know that. I don't have diabetes but do have hypoglycemia. I have to eat frequent small meals. I never get really hungry but I'm always eating. I hate that.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:00 AM   #3  
Working My Way Happy!

Hi ladies,

I was just browsing around tonight and saw your posts. I know what can help your problems.

The problem with the sugar is the white carbs. There is info here along with a thread for the Sugar Busters plan. What it boils down to is that you have to cut out your refined and processed sugar intake. I had a high sugar level then started eating this way and now it is down. So no meds for me just control what I eat.

Here is the basic plan:

You can't have the following: Potatoes, corn, turnip, white pasta, white rice, watermelon, bannanas, white bread.

You CAN have the following:

Brown rice, wheat pasta and other bread besides the white like whole wheat Bread, and any other foods not listed. Stay away from the junk food and sweets also.
You will see a huge difference. I used to crave carbs now I have been eating a lot of salad for my dinner instead of the usual meat, potato and veggie. I don't eat like that anymore and now I don't crave carbs at all. Eating the white flour carbs makes you crave more sugar. There is a lot of sugar in these processed and refined foods. That is what makes you have cravings. You will drop lbs and your sugar level will drop as well as your cholestorol.

I hope this helps you. There is a book you can get called Sugar Busters at the library and a food guide to help you. You can still have carbs because your body needs carbs for energy but they have to be whole wheat carbs or non processed carbs.

Good luck,

Sherri
Old 04-14-2002, 08:17 AM   #4  

Smile AGREED!

I have been doing SB since February. Not only did I lose weight (I had been stuck on a plateau for over a month) but I FEEL so much better! I had no problem giving up sugar and actually don't even want it (or alcohol, a surprise side effect) anymore.

There's a wonderful Sugarbuster forum on this website at
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...?s=&forumid=62

We have a wonderful, supportive group; please join us!

Laura
Old 04-14-2002, 09:47 AM   #5  
Working My Way Happy!

Laura,

Most days I do stick with the SB plan. But I also count weight Watchers points while doing it. The only time I get off plan is if I eat junk food. Which I shouldn't have in the first place. But even though I don't follow it 7 days a week I can notice a huge difference. Then when I do have the white flour products even just a bite I am craving the bad carbs again. So I try real hard to stay away from them. I have viewed the SB board before and I got a lot of info from them. It really helped.

Sherri
Closed Thread