Old 09-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Default My Family likes to EAT!

My mom is visiting today and she likes to eat out. She says it feels like a party when we get together. My whole family is that way. They like to eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I used to be this way too. I really stood my ground and refused to go to a sit down lunch...okay, I had a Carl's Jr. BBQ Chicken Sandwich for 330 cal.

She really pushed it for dinner, so we planned to go to Mimi's Cafe. My wonderful husband looked up the calories for me. One of my favorite meals used to be a chicken corden blue...until I found out it is 1370 calories! So, I got a cup of French onion soup for 207 calories and a salad (and a little bit of bread)! Yes, I had more calories than I would normally have for dinner, but it was way less than I used to eat. So...a little victory for me.

Still...I'm not sure how to work through the whole family get-together feast we have quite often. EVERYTHING revolves around food. Seriously.

I'll figure it out. One feast at a time.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvaliscious View Post
My mom is visiting today and she likes to eat out. She says it feels like a party when we get together. My whole family is that way. They like to eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I used to be this way too. I really stood my ground and refused to go to a sit down lunch...okay, I had a Carl's Jr. BBQ Chicken Sandwich for 330 cal.

She really pushed it for dinner, so we planned to go to Mimi's Cafe. My wonderful husband looked up the calories for me. One of my favorite meals used to be a chicken corden blue...until I found out it is 1370 calories! So, I got a cup of French onion soup for 207 calories and a salad (and a little bit of bread)! Yes, I had more calories than I would normally have for dinner, but it was way less than I used to eat. So...a little victory for me.

Still...I'm not sure how to work through the whole family get-together feast we have quite often. EVERYTHING revolves around food. Seriously.

I'll figure it out. One feast at a time.
1370 calories! Wow!

Seriously, sounds like you're handling it well . Let us know what other ideas you come up with.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I think most of us have to deal with this. A lot of cultures center many events around food (and most of it not healthy.)

I find it helpful to go to restaurants that I can look info up online. If this isn't a possibility, then I make sure I don't eat everything they serve me. I'll fill up on a clear soup or salad (being careful with the dressing) and then only eat part of my entree. DH gets the rest for lunch the next day.

Great job on figuring out a way to go out and not blow your diet!

Also, another thing you can do... if you know you are going out, say in 3 days, just shave 50-100 calories off the three days before (or after) and then you have extra splurge calories. Your weekly calories will even out to be the same.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Given that you're going to have to deal with your family forever, and given that you'll never be able to eat out at every meal as though the world will never end, it's great that you're coming up with strategies now!

There are always lower-cal options somewhere on most menus, unless you're in a deep-fried fish joint or something like that. Make the best choices you can, and eat only half of the meal or less. Grilled or baked chicken with two vegetable sides is almost always available. In fast food places, toss the bun, don't get fries.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

It sounds like you have made the right choices...

My opinion is that your family (Mom) has to respect your feelings. If it is too difficult for you to go out to eat, she has to respect that... she is not in the struggle, YOU are. I found that in the beginning of my weight loss I had to say NO to every temptation to go out to eat.
didjaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Height: 5'4"

Something I have to remind my family of is the fact that this is NOT our last meal and we can always eat later if we're hungry. We always eat like it the last supper.

My mom blames it on the fact that she grew up during the depression and was always hungry. Which is probably true.

Being overweight is a struggle for my family as well...they just don't really fight it. I didn't either for a long time. We should be called The Enablers.
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/244/150

Height: 5'9"

sounds like you handled it well, I love eating out as well, and almost always use the excuse, if someone else is gonna cook it for me, and I have to pay more than I would to cook it at home, I am gonna get something I enjoy. So I don't eat out yet.
ducky0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 286/234/175

Height: 5'7.5"

I have the same problem, but I see you've figured out how to handle it. That's exactly how I do it, eating something off the menu that's decently healthy. Good luck with it, I struggle as well.
Thelmissa is offline   Reply With Quote