UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 AM   #1  

Height: 5,1"

Default Jogging advice??

Hi everyone, im new to this forum and i'm just wanting a bit of advice about running..
I'm awful at running, ive never tried it properly before because i hate the stares i get from people when i'm all sweaty and out of breath and i just generally think i look awful when i try it.
But today i'm investing in a pair of running shoes and i'm going to go for a jog this afternoon. Does anyone have any advice on how to not be so embarrased and ignore all the inevitable stares?? Also, how long should i run for to start off? Should i run then walk for a few minutes at a time? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cat
x
CatRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

I also avoid jogging because of those same reasons. My trainer told me it's all in my head...that no one is really watching me, and that I don't look funny and wiggly when I run.

I also get awful shin splints when I run on pavement. OUCH!
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I recently got into running, and the benefits of the weight loss have been great!! And, I too, am coming to realize that NO one is watching me...the only ones they DO watch are those 5% body fat chics that run around here (I'm in a college town).

I've gotten a lot of help by reading/visiting runner's world (runnersworld.com). They do recommend without experience, to do the run for a couple minutes, then walk. A lot of people here have also done the couch to 5K.

Good luck!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/204/150

Height: 5'4"

I just talked to a friend of mine who I haven't seen in a year. He was overweight and wanted to begin to run. www.coolrunning.com is a website that teaches you how to run. There is a program that you follow. Let me know if this site is correct. Send me a private message. He has had so much success and his wife just began and she is doing well also. It claims to get you "from the couch to a 5K" so give it a try.
Suzy
Suzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #5  
Ann Marie

S/C/G: 263 (Feb of '06)/236/170

Height: 5' 5"

Here is a link for podcasts that go along with the C25K program...you are guided through when to run and when to walk with each week...it has really helped me..

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html
brn2bthn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

It's only natural for people to watch... it's interesting. They are probably not thinking anything at all it's just eye catching to see someone run by. If they are thinking something it's something positive like admiring someone for their sense of commitment. Even before I was a runner I looked at people running and never had a negative or critical thought about them. And the girls that had bouncing boobs I envied.

Now when I look at runners I wish I could have them as a running partner.

Do you ever have critical thoughts about runners when you see them? Are you an onlooker?
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #7  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i could never run....
attempted to about this time last year....
i cudnt move me muscles for days after n looked like i was a criple!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurie View Post
It's only natural for people to watch... it's interesting. They are probably not thinking anything at all it's just eye catching to see someone run by. If they are thinking something it's something positive like admiring someone for their sense of commitment. Even before I was a runner I looked at people running and never had a negative or critical thought about them. And the girls that had bouncing boobs I envied.

Now when I look at runners I wish I could have them as a running partner.

Do you ever have critical thoughts about runners when you see them? Are you an onlooker?
Heh I tend to look at their running gear.... and how I'd like to know where they got x/y/z piece.. I swear since losing weight and taking up running I have more workout gear than 'normal' clothes

A lot of people put the C25K plan forward as a good one. If you find it too regimented you could just free-wheel it a bit and run for a bit, walk for a bit so on and so forth. Over time you'll find you will run more and walk less

As for the people staring... bah I get people tooting their horns I look my absoloute WORST when running.. but you know what? I don't care.. I may LOOK awful but I FEEL great! Have you tried an mp3 player to take your mind off of it (obviously not too loud so you don't completely cover your senses to traffic etc)

Last edited by denialisnthappiness; 09-15-2008 at 02:05 PM.
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #9  

Thanks for all your help guys! I think im going to try the couch to 5k thing...i downloaded the week 1 and 2 podcasts and im going to start tomorrow!! I'll let you know how it goes!
Cat
x
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

I can't run confidently either. I'll walk then when I see a car coming I'll start jogging again, but get winded before they even pass. I know they're laughing at me.
I use the elliptical machine. I'll move up to the treadmill when I feel less challenged, then perhaps I'll embrace the outdoors.

Last edited by raw23; 09-15-2008 at 10:08 PM.
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #11  

Fantastic...i woke up this morning all ready to get out and run but of course, being wonderful Scotland, it was raining But im going to a body attack class tonight (its all kicking and punching etc...) so that will make up for it!!
Cat
x
Old 09-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #12  
Gym'll fix it!!

Go for it Cat There are tons of runners/joggers where I live and I look at them but it's just because i'm envious that they've got the balls to do it i'm very self conscious as i'm really overweight and would probably end up with black eyes from my boobs bouncing around but I would LOVE to do it. Maybe one day
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 106/128/98-106

Height: 5'2

Talking

Being a girl means you are gonna get stared at and cars will beep you!

You just have to ignore it and get on with it
marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
Being a girl means you are gonna get stared at and cars will beep you!
Those cars can be such pigs
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #15  

I went on my first jog yesterday and realised how unfit i am! I switched between jogging and walking for half an hour and it was such hard work!! But i ran along the river quite early and there was only dog walkers around so not too many stares, even though i looked ridiculous ! Im having a day off today but will be out first thing tomorrow morning
Cat
x