PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #1  
my dog is named squirrel.

S/C/G: (HW:200+)165/150.2/107

Height: 4'11.5"

Red face Hair Hair Everywhere

I'm new to the forum and didn't even notice the PCOS section. I'm really glad it is here though... Anyway, I have excessive hair everywhere because of my PCOS. I'm not on anything. I was prescribed metformin, but haven't been taking it. I hate the way it makes me feel.

I've had a lot of success with my diet. Low Carbing has taken away my extreme sugar cravings and I have a lot of energy... However, I still have hair growing on my chin/neck area... sideburns that are starting to look like a man's... and basically everywhere else.

Has anyone had any success with herbs or natural products that have worked for them? I shave or wax, depending on the situation... I might as well buy stock in Sally Hensen if this keeps up.

I know laser hair removal might help, but its too expensive an option for me right now... Any other suggestions are welcome... I'm gettin' desperate over here!

Last edited by Squirrels Mama; 09-13-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Squirrels Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I have heard the drinking spearmint tea once a day makes your testosterone levels drop in women, and can reduce facial hair growth. I can't remember where I got this info, but it could have been from Dr. Oz on Oprah.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 AM   #3  
Kittyno

S/C/G: 212/190/150

Height: 5'2"

I was prescribed Metformin 3 months ago. I had hair on my chest, neck, chin, big toes, knuckles, everywhere! I was a pluckin' fool! Anyway, you should start back on the metformin. the hair on my chest is gone, and the hair everywhere else has started to thin as well, and that's just after 3 months! It does a lot more than just help with your sugar. I know it's hard to get used to the metformin, but if you alter your diet to low carb, you'll do much better. Also, stay away from foods with sugar alcohol (lots of sugar free stuff has that to sweeten it).

I've only been on 500mg a day and have seen amazing results. You should also take it so you don't become diabetic later on in life.

Here's a link to one of the many studies done on the effectiveness of Metformin as a treatment for Hirsutism:
Sorry for the editing with the spacing and "DOT", but it won't let me post straight links.

http : / / jcemDOTendojournalsDOTorg/cgi/content/full/88/9/4116
kittyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:11 AM   #4  
my dog is named squirrel.

S/C/G: (HW:200+)165/150.2/107

Height: 4'11.5"

Kitty, I might try and start it again. The low carb diet has been working great for me, but I haven't taken the metformin in a month or so. It made my stomach hurt and I was super sleepy after taking it. I might try and take it with some food and before I go to bed to reduce the side effects I'm having from it.
Thanks for the advice, both of you... I appreciate it
Squirrels Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #5  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Hey. I was just thinking about this today.
I have been losing weight but my hair situation seems to get worse and worse and it's depressing.

I was on metformin, glucophage and another prescription for unwanted hair, I forgot. This was 5-6 years ago. I stopped all because I don't like taking drugs and I didn't see any real difference in anything after a year and a half.

But, I'm considering going back to gyno and talking about metformin again. Sigh, i don't know.
Girlie is offline   Reply With Quote