Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137.5/136/120

Height: 5'1

Default wedding after surgery

My husband and I have a wedding 2.5 weeks after he has his surgery-we rented and already paid for(had to pay up front) a hotel room. And my mom is coming to watch our children for the nite. I am just wondering what kind of condistion he will be in 2.5 weeks after? I know he wont be drinking but i wonder what the heck he will be eatting-any suggetions? Should i just take along his protien drink and when they serve dinner we can go take a walk...
my mil said it is a shame he has to have the wls before the wedding and my response was there is never going to be a good time so he mite as well do it.
I reminded him over and over again about the wedding and told him he could try and change the date of wls but he never did anything about it-so it leads me to believe that he is full steam ahead and does not care. I know life will be different for him but he seems to excited and happy about the change.
Thanks for any suggestions
Colleen
jamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I went to a wedding about the same time after my surgery. I knew what kind of food was being served-luckily it was a buffet so I could pick and choose. I had a bit of mashed potatoes with some beef gravy. I also brought my own bottled water since you never know if people will have water that isn't tap. I was also having problems with really cold food/drink at the beginning so lukewarm was best for me.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #3  

i will check and see what is on the menu-the brides shower is next week so i might beable to get the info. glad to hear it can be done! I am so proud of him for taking control of his health and life-I know there will be hard times that we will need to adjust too-normally we would have ate like pigs and drank like fishes-and felt sick in the morning. But those days are over!
thanks for the input!
have a good weekend
colleen
Old 09-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Hubby and WLS

As long as he doesn't have any complications, I don't see why he can't go to a wedding. According to his WLS plan, at what stage will he be on at that time? All WLS plans are different. I would have still been on full liquids at that time. You are smart for looking into what is being served, and than according to his WLS plan, you will be able to decide rather to bring something or he can have something at the wedding. FOLLOW HIS WLS PLAN.

Now about " there is never going to be a good time so he mite as well do it." I might be misinterpreting your thought here, but.... You know that WLS, if used right, will be the greatest thing that your DH will do for himself, you, your family, etc. The first six weeks are kind of rough, but get a plan in mind on how you will be preparing food for him, ThAT STAYS WITHIN HIS WLS PLAN, especially the things that he likes right now. I had in my mind that I would never have ice cream, pizza, cookies, cakes, pastas, rice, on and on. I mourned for what I wouldn't have anymore. But, I have so much more in my life now, I'm ALIVE! I do eat ice cream, pizza, cookies, cakes, pastas, rice, on and on. How? By being inventive. I make "protein" ice cream, tortilla pizzas, high fiber oatmeal cranberry cookies, ricotta or cottage cheese pancakes with sf syrup, using splenda blend or stevia, pastas whole wheat and brown rice. Do I have them a lot? NOPE, most are a special treat for me. I'm almost 11 months out and I still stick pretty close to my original plan: five to six small meals a day; loosely follow the South Beach Diet. Some of those meals might be just a 1/2 glass of milk, or a 1/4 c. of cottage cheese. Once a week my DH makes a 1/2c. of "ice cream" with a diet root beer and I have a float!!! Of course I don't eat candy, not even sf free because of the sugar alcohols. I don't eat wedding cake, but had a great assortment of nuts and sf iced tea at the last wedding I attended. The wedding shower, ate shredded chicken without a bun, veggies and a palm full of hard rye crisps from the chex mix. Last nights snack was 1/2 apple with a TBSP of lower fat peanut butter. For breakfast I was on the run by 6:30 a.m. Had a Atkins Advantage Carmel protein bar 150 cals. 17 carbs, 9 fibers, 1 sugar and 11 protein. Waited 1/2 hour and drank my water; lunch seven pieces of boiled shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce, five pieces of cheese, two grapes. In a few hours I'm having a raspberry protein shake. Supper is ham loaf with steamed veggies, and natural applesauce. Snack will either be an apple and 1/2 c. homemade greek yogurt and English Toffee Stevia or cottage cheese. Tomorrow I'm having baked buttermilk panko crusted chicken breast with zucchini, corn, tomato casserole with mozz. cheese. Protein first carbs second. Every meal I have is usually around a cup of food total; snacks about 1/2 c. Once I was tired and threw myself on the bed and cried because I wish I could just go out in the kitchen and just eat what ever is there without a thought. That lasted for about a minute, because I started remembering....at my heaviest I couldn't throw myself on the bed with out breaking every vertebra in my back, I could barely cook a meal because of pain and fatness. Be inventive; stay in his WLS plan and things will be okay and he won't miss a thing. Not even wedding cake!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #5  

i just ment that there will always be weddings, birthdays, holidays ect
always a reason to not be "on plan"-kind of like "why do it today when you can put off for tommorrow"-taking care of his health should start today!!!!
Thats all i ment by it There is a phrase in our house that is over used
"there is always monday" meaning that is when we would start a diet again.
We don't use that phrase anymore thank god!
I am so proud of him that he has taken responibty for his health-he really does care about what he puts in this mouth, where in the past there was tons of mindless eatting and now there isn't. I am a very active person so i am looking forward to him joining me in activies-hiking,walking,sports, ect.
WLS is a great thing for him but it is also a great thing for myself and our daughters!!!

Thank you for the great suggestions-makes sense. portion size has always been an issue for him-so wls will help with that matter. I think the thing he will miss the most is alcohol and choc(which i know there are ways around that, bars ect).But like you said-he will be alive, active and healthy!

Have a good weekend!
Colleen