Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 410/388/200

Height: 6'

Default Life after Surgery?

Can someone tell me what it's like after surgery? Like how painful it was and how hard it was to be on clear liquids only?
MelJoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

It's a challenge at times, especially at first. Relearning how to drink...slowly and in sips; how to eat...slowly, in tiny bites with a lot of chewing; "Sip, Sip, Sip, Protien, Protein, Protein!!!" is the motto for the this entire time.

Relationships change drastically...not only with the mirror and your own self image but also your relationship with food...you really have to stare in the face of why you overeat; dynamics between you and family and friends will change too. I was always the fat and jolly one...now I am real and myself...sometimes I am jolly sometimes not. Everyone had to adjust to that and I lost some friends over it all.

If you do as you're told by doctors and nutritionists (NUTs they call them here ) and if you find a good counselor, all will turn out...better then you could ever dream. I recommend counseling before and afterward...saved me in many ways...from self-sabotage or cross-addiction.

There were a lot changes really...not just to my waist line....I could be here for days writing about them! Just stick around here, people who are dealing with all these things and so much more will be here talking about them all.

Good that you are asking the big questions and this one IS HUGE...would take me days to convey all the detailed changes but I gave you a general overview...very very general!

Oh and come here for the TONS AND TONS of support offered by the kind and wonderful people here!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-01-2008 at 08:53 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Mel,

Life after surgery differs for each person. I know a person who when shopping the next day... then there was me, I couldn't drive until my 5th day post op. Some folks go to work a week later.... then there was me, I stayed home the full 6 weeks my doc gave me and I'm glad I did. My doc gave me percocet am I remember needing them for about 4-5 days.

I slept in my recliner for about a week because it was to hard to lay down flat but for some, they are in their own bed the next night.... so you see, it really depends on the individual.

Because your swollen after surgery, most people don't want to eat much so the clear liquids isn't so bad. I was so hungry after surgery I wanted a burger LOLOL so it was hard for me to do the liquids but I did it. I was to afraid of hurting myself so I followed the doc's orders to the T.

What ever you do, and no matter how hungry you get FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS ORDERS !! I can't stress that enough. Last thing you want it to hurt yourself, so a few weeks is nothing compaired to the damage you could do to yourself. Besides... time does go fast.

Also, exercise... don't do it until your doctor says its ok. Again you don't want to hurt yourself and remember, the first 6 weeks post op is NOT about losing weight, its about healing. The band does not work with out fills, so have patience and hang in there.... WL will come.

Last edited by Leenie; 09-01-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Life after surgery......YIKES!!

Yikes as in a good way. First three weeks for me were full liquids. 80-90 grams of protein and at least 64 oz of water. Did that happen? NO!! But I tried. You have to take little sips all day long. I had something called the foamies. I would take a drink of something and it would come right back up and I looked like a Barbasol Shaving Foam. Pain was just about non-existent. I got so hungry for food those three week, I wondered what in the heck I had done this to myself. I went a week on pureed; week on soft; and then I was off and running. 2 to 4 oz of food five to six times a day, plus water. I walked a great deal, battled gas, and occasional nausea.....Now for the rest of the story, I am ALIVE. My health was so poor that I couldn't move, climb, sit long, sleep, and pretty much existed in my home, before WLS. Now I climb, ride in the car, sleep at least 5 hours a night, do my own housework, ride a bike, play on the floor with my grandchildren, walk to town everyday, play badmitton, corn hole, and did I mention I was ALIVE. My face and body have changed so much I don't recognize myself, let alone my friends and family. I volunteer in church, am back to work for the first time in almost seven years, and did I mention I was ALIVE. I still eat too fast, and sometimes up-chuck, but that is entirely my fault. I have a hard time eating chicken and bread if they are too dry. Do I cheat, occasionally, but don't make a habit of it because I'm thinner and healthier than I have been in 35 years and I never, never, ever want to go back to that fat, obese, sad, unhappy, no-life person that I was before. Go for it my dear!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

You asked about pain...I had a bit after surgery but it was managable....just sore in spots. I had the Lap type of surgery (6 small incisions). There is some pain if you eat too fast BUT that pain will remind you to not eat fast!

Liquid diets are hard in that you don't chew things but someone here told me that you will make that up in Chewing Chewing Chewing when you come to the eating regular food stage! LOL I think you could get bored with just protein shakes but I never settled for Just protein shakes! There are too many recipes to settle! Mix it up.

The liquid phase really brought home my "addiction", but having to follow the Dr's plan helped me to start the letting go of overeating process.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-01-2008 at 10:12 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

I didn't have very much pain at all. I had a prescription for pain but I only took about 5 of them. They made me have nightmares anyway. I went back to work after 3 weeks but I have an easy job and I could have gone back after 2 weeks ... I just didn't want to. I wasn't hungry at all the first few weeks and after that I was only hungry if I was late eating a meal. After a few bites I wasn't hungry anymore. After I went on solid foods the hardest thing for me was chewing and not eating too fast. But once you get used to it you don't even think about it anymore. When we go out to eat at an all you can eat resturant everybody has refilled their plates 2 or 3 times and I'm still eating on my half a plate LOL. In the beginning it was no problem for me not eating anything I shouldn't. It made me sick. I could walk through the bakery at the grocery store and get sick smelling it LOL. I agree with Angela ..get all the counseling you can get. I've got the world divided into 2 categories. Those who know they need help and those who don't. Guess who's ahead. And Leenie is right....follow your doctor's orders to the T. I did ... mainly because I was afraid not to. I know others who didn't do everything their doctor said and they've either had problems or didn't get the desired results. Like Nancy said, I'm Alive!! And I don't hurt anymore. I can do things I never thought I would ever do again.
I wish you the best in your journey.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

The Pain was ok I was in the hospital for about 5-7 days. .. I have some other issues they wanted to make sure I could walk and stuff
it's been a major life adjustment. 2 years post op as of 9/8 and I'm still adjusting. You can not put yourself or your health second when you have this kind of surgery. It's for life but the results aren't you MUST Deal with your food issues. IT will also show you who your friends are which can be a really difficult experience.
That being said Like My LAdy NanJ it gave me my life back!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

these ladies are right, mel - but one thing ya gotta keep in mind - THE PAIN IS TEMPORARY!!!!! it's not easy - it's not pleasant - but it does GO AWAY!!! it's not with you for the rest of your life.

therefore, my best possible advice is to be prepared for this stuff - and think about what life will be like when the pain goes away!!!! it all changes -
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 415/238/220

Height: 5' 11"

I had the Lap Band 6 days ago. The pain wasn't that bad, and strangely the liquid diet hasn't been a big deal. I real wanted to eat the real food my family was having but the fear of throwing up is strong.

Good Luck
JustWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWes View Post
the fear of throwing up is strong.
Fear IS a good thing

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote