Old 08-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Question Low impact exercises for home

Alright ladies, put your thinking caps on! Just kidding, but seriously I need some suggestions.

I've been doing Curves three times/ week. I love it and it's awesome, but I want to do exercise and cardio on my off days. I bought the Tabeo video and did half last night. I think I'll keep trying, but it got me thinking. I need to know low impact exercises. Standing on one leg for a couple of minutes is not cool for me. I have a rod in my right leg and putting all my weight (283 pounds) on that leg for more than 30 seconds is not going to work.

I've tried the running thing and even walking and after a few minutes, my "rod" leg hurts. I can bounce in place and it doesn't hurt, but that's not very much fun. I welcome your suggestions!
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #2  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

Lunges and squats.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapancakes View Post
Lunges and squats.
I'm definetly doing squats, but can't do lunges. It hurts my leg. Squats doesn't get my heart rate up very much. I do about 50-75/ day. How many is good?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #4  
Peace. Love. Balance

I do 60 daily. I've noticed huge results and I haven't been doing them long at all.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

This may sound like a retarted question, but how exactly do you do "squats" ? lol
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananapancakes View Post
I do 60 daily. I've noticed huge results and I haven't been doing them long at all.
That's awesome! I've been doing them every other day for a month and every day for a week. I can tell too! A guy at work told me that he never knew I had junk in the trunk.... I was flattered, but still like did he really just tell me I have junk in the trunk? lol I need my upper inner thighs to disappear!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #7  
*insert inspiration here*

S/C/G: 286/185/130

Taebo takes some time to work through. After doing it regularly for a week or so, you get used to it and can go on longer. I was doing it when I was a size 26 (300 lbs give or take) so it's doable. However, I was about ready to cough and die after doing it the first time. If I remember correctly, I did about 15 minutes, and then sat down and ate donuts as I watched the rest, so you're already doing better than I did.

I love putting on music and just dancing around my room. I'm talking flashdance/footloose/lets go crazy type of dancing. Around 6:45 every night, the hip hop/r&b station plays the top songs for like an hour and I dance that whole hour...I do crunches, sit ups, weights (5 lbs) and push ups during commercials and slow songs.

I also tumble around my living room. LOL! I have bookshelves instead of furniture so I do front flips and cartwheels and stuff sometimes. I'm abnormally flexible for a girl my size. I can do the splits and back bends (bridge) and I can stand up on one foot and pull my other leg up to the side of my face. Yeah, go ahead, insert a dirty joke here. My friends always do. LOL!
caligirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I love Denise Austin work out videos.... I put one on while I watch a show on the internet on my computer. Helps the time go by really fast.

Can you do swimming?

I know how you're feeling about this, I have hip injuries so it hurts to do a lot of things too! Good luck
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #9  
Peace. Love. Balance

I cold tell you but, I'd probably end up making it sound totally stupid. They have a few good videos on youtube demonstrating how to do it. The key is not to put your knees over your toes so you really gotta stick your butt back and drop it.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #10  

Height: 5'9"

Ok I'll check it out on Youtube, thanks!
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by garstar View Post
I love Denise Austin work out videos.... I put one on while I watch a show on the internet on my computer. Helps the time go by really fast.

Can you do swimming?

I know how you're feeling about this, I have hip injuries so it hurts to do a lot of things too! Good luck
Yes, I love to swim, but don't have access to a pool and don't really have time to find one. lol

I know I'm being picky, but I don't want to invest in a bunch of work out videos. I'm kinda short on cash.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl98 View Post
Taebo takes some time to work through. After doing it regularly for a week or so, you get used to it and can go on longer. I was doing it when I was a size 26 (300 lbs give or take) so it's doable. However, I was about ready to cough and die after doing it the first time. If I remember correctly, I did about 15 minutes, and then sat down and ate donuts as I watched the rest, so you're already doing better than I did.

I love putting on music and just dancing around my room. I'm talking flashdance/footloose/lets go crazy type of dancing. Around 6:45 every night, the hip hop/r&b station plays the top songs for like an hour and I dance that whole hour...I do crunches, sit ups, weights (5 lbs) and push ups during commercials and slow songs.

I also tumble around my living room. LOL! I have bookshelves instead of furniture so I do front flips and cartwheels and stuff sometimes. I'm abnormally flexible for a girl my size. I can do the splits and back bends (bridge) and I can stand up on one foot and pull my other leg up to the side of my face. Yeah, go ahead, insert a dirty joke here. My friends always do. LOL!
ok, it's official. You are my new favorite person. lol You are so funny. I don't have room to do all that and am not near as flexible as you... don't worry no dirty joke. That's a good idea to put some music on and just dance. I love to dance.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #13  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I bought an inexpensive ellipitical machine second hand this spring but I have some knee issues so I use it 20 minutes at a time with no tension.

It's the best at home workout I've found yet (used to have an old stationary bike but I like this better)
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #14  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

I have a treadmill at home so I usually do about 40 minutes on that at least 3 times a week..
But I just started Callanetics this week! the 10-hour one.. I did two sessions, 2 hours.. My last one just today, and I have to say I LOOVE LOOOVE it!
I lost a pound this week but my stomach felt soo much flatter and tighter and my legs too! I'm going to keep doing this throughout the semester.. probably once a week on the weekends since I don't have a lot of time, but if you want something low-impact, try it out.. You might have to skip some of the exercises because of your leg, but you can definitely do most of them~
I've heard that they have a cardio version of it out too..
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #15  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have an elliptical at home too and that is about as low impact as you can get...I got the cheap one from Walmart for now but it's held up just fine since I got it in May. I do 45 mins every day.

The other low impact stuff I do is swim, stationary bike, treadmill and belly dance
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote