Old 08-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

Default Argument in office with guys... need help

Ok, I'm the only female in the office.

Everyone says I'm wrong, but I know this from experience.

Am I just the exception to the rule?

I need some type of evidence backing up my claim that it's best not to eat pasta or rice late at night or even a whole lot for dinner.

I know that when I stopped eating those things for dinner it helped me lose weight. Does anyone know of any research?

They keep telling me it doesn't matter b/c it's caloric intake which I do believe but I also think that if you eat a lot of carbs at night before you go to bed it turns into straight sugar and you haven't burned it off.

Can anyone help?
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I dont think it matters what time you eat in all fairness. You need a specific number of calories to burn even if you stay in bed all day. So if your active during the day theres no reason your meal/food times should matter. Though everybody is different, so just go with what you feel is best.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'm iffy on this one. I really do think this falls into the category of "whatever works best for you". I know that if *I* cut back on carbs at night, I tend to do better at losing, but I know it's not true for everyone.

I do know that carbs don't "turn into straight sugar" no matter what time of day you eat them. There's all kinds of variables there, including the types of carbs, etc.

Unfortunately I think you may be out of luck on this particular argument.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 08-25-2008 at 12:49 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #4  
carinna

Hmmm, did you try googling it? I would tend to agree with you, and not just for carbs but any meal eaten shortly before bed. Isn't it just logic that you burn more calories when you're awake, assuming you are moving around, etc. rather than laying still in bed? But I don't know for sure one way or another.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

I did a small amount of googleing - here's a qoute:

"Now on the issue of meal timing - Eating a meal close to bedtime that is carbohydrate rich will trigger a high insulin response from your pancreas, and our body’s insulin sensitivity is decreased most of the time while we sleep. This means that the excess food/energy we consume may not be burned off as easily as it would compared to during the day. If you’re on a diet - watching your food especially at night helps greatly with fat burning as eating too many carbs/too much fat will affect and slow down the desired fat burning process that is occuring. In fact, did you know that Sumo wrestlers eat large meals that are high in carbohydrates and then take naps on purpose JUST to help ensure they store the most amounts of calories possible as fat? Now what does that tell you about meal timing? Feeling sumo-ish already? Good.

Insulin stimulates fat storage - and this is the last thing you want to do to your body right before you go to bed. "

look into it more though I think... I've heard so many mixed responses.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:28 PM   #6  

Thanks Gar, can you send me that link?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #7  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

It's true insulin stores fat, but it doesnt prevent weight loss either. All of the diabetics on this board are testament to that
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

http://www.jimmythomas.com/training/...bohydrates.htm

There is the link to the previous qoute - HOWEVER ;

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1016108.ece

This dismisses the rumors, researched based. I tried to find the ACTUAL research study, but no luck.

Last edited by garstar; 08-25-2008 at 01:33 PM.
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #9  

I think there might be a difference male vs. female too. I'm hoping.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Well... I tend to think this may have a lot to do with a person individually.

I find that as long as I'm within my food intake for the day, the times that I eat matter little if at all.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
I find that as long as I'm within my food intake for the day, the times that I eat matter little if at all.
Yeah. I think it really is a matter of what works for each individual.

I mean you hear all those diet sites and books saying that you shouldn't eat after 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. or whatever, too. But the truth is for me, I don't eat dinner until 9 most nights and it's never affected my weight loss. And, most Europeans don't eat dinner much earlier - the idea of a 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. dinner is almost unheard of overseas.

You hear that you shouldn't exercise late at night, or that it's better to exercise during the day, but for some people working out at night works for them. For others it doesn't.

So .. you know. I think all of that is highly individual. Some people metabolize carbs better than others. Some people do better with different kinds of exercise. Some people can't eat earlier.

It's all about finding out what works for YOU.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #12  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

From someone who tests their blood sugar often, if I eat a high carb meal before I fall asleep my BS is super high when I wake up so I avoid carby meals at night, or I don't fall asleep until my BS is back to normal.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 212/Ticker!/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
I mean you hear all those diet sites and books saying that you shouldn't eat after 7 p.m. or 8 p.m. or whatever, too. But the truth is for me, I don't eat dinner until 9 most nights and it's never affected my weight loss. And, most Europeans don't eat dinner much earlier - the idea of a 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. dinner is almost unheard of overseas.
I've heard that it's not the time of eating, its what we tend to eat late at night. Our boddies really can't tell what time it is, and we do actually burn lots of calories in our sleep. Our bodies work really hard when we sleep to get restorative things done throughout the night. However, this does not help much if we've eaten poorly immediately before bed.

As for eating past a certain time, what I have heard is that we tend to want more comfort foods - like carbalicious things - later at night because we're relaxed and want to feel even more at ease. On top of this, we tend to eat mindlessly when we are tired and attempting to relax. So, as in my case, I'll get out the chips or gummies to have just 4 or 5 as a little snack, turn on the boob tube, and before I know it, 4 or 5 has turned into most of the bag. But - if you're used to eating later at night, this wouldn't be particularly problematic for you as you're making a structured meal.

I have also read that a carb-filled meal, like spaghetti or chinese food, is not as filling nor will maintain your full feeling as long as a high-protien meal. So, that tends to lead to eating larger amounts and/or increased munching on the goodies right before bed - and the mindless eating cycle continues.

Fraid I don't have any research to back that up, but I have read that before...
heidelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #14  

Sorry to say that, but I read once at a book about fitness that it is a myth. Doesn’t matter what time of the day you eat. If you want to lose weight you have to eat less calories than you burn.
That book was very clear about it. And I found it to be truth. My schedule is very tight and my dinner is right before bed. But if I follow my food plan I lose weight even eighting just before going to bed.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Actually...

That depends on what you eat with it so it does kinda come down to caloric and fat intake.

My family is Berber and so I cook and eat a lot of Moroccan food, and I eat lots of rice or couscous or both for dinner every single night, and I eat late. Usually around of after 8 p.m. Nobody in my family is overweight in the slightest.

*Shrug*
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote