General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default gardens

here are just about done. Im still getting a few squash and zuc but leaves are dying really fast. Tomatoes have been done for weeks in my garden.Bell peppers are still doing great and we are waiting for a few melons to get ripe. I look for us to be done with everything other than the peppers in a week or so. Its kinda sad knowing it time to clean it all up and knowing winter will follow...guess its time to start thinking about next years garden.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

So sorry to hear you are done! We have tons of tomatoes and zukes... canning the tomatoes like crazy. Cukes are done - some kind of disease got them. Still have lots of peppers. We have a fairly long growing season here in Virginia.

Will you plant any winter/fall veggies? We are going to try lettuce and spinach this year. Enjoy your last few vegetables!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #3  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I just can't believe how fast fall is coming! Our tomatoes are almost done. Beans have only a few coming. still a few cukes, but the cabbages aren't getting any bigger anymore. Peppers are finally turning yellow, though! I'll never get used to northern Iowa's short growing season
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Well yesterday afternoon I was checking out my sunflowers and decided to check out the seeds..they are huge.I came inside and read all about how to harvest them. I soaked them all night in salt water and roasted them this morning.YUMMY. I am doing some more tonight and some tommorow without salt.I got 16 cups of roasted seeds out of 3 heads. I have at least triple that today.
I found a few small green tomatoes on my vines today..guess i will let them go and see what happens.
oh does anyone save seeds to start plants next year?/ I am saving a squash and letting it get big for seed.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #5  
carinna

Bummer! I love fresh veggies from the garden!
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote