Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Using a food journal (article)

I am always looking for motivation or things online to keep me going. I came upon this article last week. I log/my food - as most calorie counters do. Here are a few other ideas. Frankly - I don't think I can take the time right now to do all this. However, there are some good ideas here.

The Key to Weight Loss Success
It's Write In Front of You
-- By Rebecca Pratt, staff writer

Finally-- here it is. You have been waiting to hear these words for years...or at least as long the zipper on your skinny jeans hasn't budged. The key to weight loss success! It's not a shake, a supplement, or an exercise gizmo. You have it already, right at your finger tips.

"I feel the most important action one can take when trying to lose weight is to keep a food diary," says dietitian Becky Hand. "Yes, it takes time to write down everything consumed during the day, but this in itself can curtail overeating and be vital for self-assessment and monitoring.

Studies show that people who keep food journals lose more weight and keep more of that weight off in the long run. The National Weight Control Registry–an ongoing research project tracking more than 3,000 people who’ve lost an average of 66 pounds and kept it off for five years–found that keeping a food journal is the one strategy used by the majority of successful dieters. In fact, in a study of 685 dieters conducted by a health insurance company, the best predictor of weight loss throughout the first year was the number of food records kept per week. Another recent study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine found that dieters who tracked their food intake in a "food diary" lost twice as much weight as those who didn't track their food.

Do you use a food journal? It gives you a proven, fighting chance. If you're not - try it out for a few days and see if it doesn't help you make better choices, too.

Why keep a food journal?

* Tracking the food we consume forces us to take responsibility for our food choices. It shows what we're really eating.
* An accurate food journal helps us see eating patterns, giving us insight into when and why we eat.
* Monitoring the foods we eat helps us estimate calorie intake, so we can make adjustments, by eating less or exercising more.

If you're beginning a program to change your habits, you may want to start with a baseline food journal that keeps track of a "typical" week of food choices and exercise. This way, you'll have a better handle on what you need to work on-- problem times or situations, circumstances that make it difficult to eat healthy, and so on. The level of detail you record depends on your goals, but some possible things to jot down include:

* What you eat and how much you eat: You can estimate portions, but be honest and be thorough-- don't forget items such as candy, condiments, etc. Record as you go to ensure accuracy.
* When and where you eat: Time of day, how long you were eating, if you ate in a fast-food restaurant or the company cafeteria, etc.
* Who you were with and any other activity you were involved in: Were you reading or watching TV, or having brunch with your best friend?
* Your mood while eating: Were you bored, frustrated, happy? This may tell you whether you engage in emotional eating—eating triggered by mood, not hunger.
* Any exercise you did, including the activity, length and intensity, and estimate of calories burned.
* Any special categories for which you want to monitor consumption, such as carbohydrates, fat, or fiber content.

Once you have a baseline journal, you can set priorities for what to work on. Do you eat well when eating by yourself, but go overboard when you're with friends? Does the routine of a workday keep you in line, while the freedom of the weekend weakens your willpower? Do you subsist on convenience foods that are heavy on processing but light on nutrients and real taste? Important things to consider include:

* What is your real motivation for eating? Are you truly hungry when you eat or are you eating for emotional reasons?
* Do you eat well-balanced meals with reasonable serving sizes? If not, map out the changes you’d like to make.
* Do you eat at appropriate intervals, or do you eat a little and then overindulge later? It may seem counterintuitive, but eating smaller amounts more often may keep your energy high, and prevent overeating.

A food journal allows you to compare your habits to the healthy habits recommended by experts: getting 25 grams of fiber a day, limiting fat intake to 35 percent of your total calorie intake, and consuming fewer calories than your body burns daily. You can then continue to track what’s important to you—whether it involves elaborate detail or very simple information.

Keeping a food journal can make us uncomfortable because doing so forces us to recall things we’d rather not take note of—that chocolate shake we had for lunch, or that extra mound of mashed potatoes we regretted as soon we inhaled it. In other words: no pain, no gain. When you see the foods you’ve eaten listed in black-and-white, you can’t wish them away. But pain, even metaphorical pain, can be the impetus for change—and if used consistently, a food journal can be the instrument of that change.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #2  

I think that's the article I read that motivated me to start keeping a food diary in the first place!
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #3  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I keep a food journal and post it in my blog (linked in my sig). I use a three ring binder and a word document that I formatted to my needs for my paper food log. If anybody is interested in having a copy I can email it to you, just PM me with our email. I find it is the single most helpful tool I use to monitor my food intake, excercise and feelings.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Ya know...I've been journalling my food for almost a year now. Yet, I've never added the element of feelings. I think - I'll try that for a while. I bet it will be very telling.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #5  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

That is a good article.

My food journal is hand written and fairly basic. Date, food, portion sizes, when necessary and calorie amounts of each portion eaten. Total at the end of the day. I also record feeding frenzies and binges and estimate calories to the best of my abilities and mark those days with a big star under the date, to make them easily identifiable.

Keeping this food journal is so helpful to me. It helps keep me on track and gives me a big old slap of reality when I stray off the path.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote