Old 08-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #1  

Cool New here with questions

Hi, I am new here. This is actually my first post. I've done WW Flex before on my own (got the materials from my mom because I couldn't afford the meetings and really don't have the time). I lost 10 lbs, but frankly I'm tired of counting points. I'm wanting to do Core now and know what I can eat. However, I've read some threads on this site that have me a little confused. For example, can I only have one starch a day, or more? If I eat a baked potato for lunch, can I have another one for dinner? What about protein? Am I only allowed a certain amount per day? If I eat a chicken breast for lunch, can I have ground turkey for dinner? I think you're only allowed one serving of high-fiber cereal per day, right? Any other "rules" I should know about?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Michele
busymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #2  
Julie

S/C/G: 209.8/189.4/155

Height: 5'6"

Main 'rules' to consider:
  1. You can have potato OR brown rice OR 100% whole wheat pasta one time a day . Other whole grains such as quinoa, couscous, bulghar, barley are not limited.
  2. You can have ground meat (hamburger, turkey, chicken, etc) one time per day.
  3. You can have cold cereal (puffed wheat or rice, plain shredded wheat, fiber 1) one time per day. It must be eaten with skim milk or plain FF yogurt.
huskerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Luck, Michele. In addition to what Julie told you, I'd like to add the following.

You could have cold cereal for breakfast and hot cereal for lunch. Protein is not limited.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #4  

Default Thank you!

That helps a lot.
busymomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #5  
Tracie

S/C/G: 201.2/181.4/135

Height: 5'0"

An addition to what Julie told you, you can have a baked pototao at lunch, and either potato, brown rice or whole wheat pasta at dinner, but if you have potato, brown rice or whole wheat pasta at dinner, you have to count it. So you are allowed to have it more than one time per day, but you will need to count points for one of them(either the item at lunch or the one at dinner). You have 35 points per week to use, and you can use it for this. There is nothing "not allowed" on core, if you have the points for it. It's just "do you want to spend your weekly points for an item"?
twestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #6  
Julie

S/C/G: 209.8/189.4/155

Height: 5'6"

Yep, Tracie said the most important thing about Core: there is nothing 'not allowed' - you just have to count points for the 'extras' you want. I found that the longer I ate Core foods, the less I craved or even wanted non-Core type foods. Be willing to explore and try new foods like the variety of whole grains.
huskerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #7  
Tracie

S/C/G: 201.2/181.4/135

Height: 5'0"

I agree Julie. I have tried things I never even knew existed, but I have found lots of food that I really enjoy. I have tried bulgar, quinoa, and barley and I love them. And these are things that are not limited to once a day, without counting points. Quinoa and bulgar are great substitutes for rice in recipes you may have.
twestra is offline   Reply With Quote