Old 08-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/213/170

Height: 5'9"

Default my puppy is so naughty!

I have a five month old, 8lb puppy who is a hyper bundle of fur and sharp teeth. She is house trained and rings "poochie bells" when she needs to go out side, but the trained part ends there. She chases my kids and bites and shreds everything! Today she figured out how to jump up on the couches by herself, so she stole my 2 year old sons apple. I cannot wait for her to calm down and stop teething. She requires constant attention! But.... she is cute and she's my only girl ;>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pup.jpg (23.7 KB, 32 views)
DandBMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

They have sprays that you can put on things to make puppies not chew on them (I think it tastes sour to them)....that could work if your puppy is chewing on furniture.

I'm impressed with the bell thing though! wow!
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I can totally relate! I have a 5 month old Goldendoodle puppy and boy is he a lot of work! He has had diahrea off and on for the last month, which we've finally figured out is a food allergy. It has been such a nightmare though! Here's what I do: I got a lead leash (a very long leash) and I tied it to the let of the couch. That way, he can only go in a certain area while I'm home. I can tie the leash as short or as long as I want and I make sure that the only things around him are his toys. If there's a shoe he can reach, it's over, so I keep shoes, papers and other things away from this trouble maker! When I'm not home, he stays in the crate, which isn't all that much. When it's time for him to go in there, I say, "Go to sleep," and I give him two pieces of his dry food. He likes it in there and he goes to sleep. He also sleeps there at night. I always leave a toy in there for him. It's still by no means easy, but it's my way of surviving the next 2 years (which is how long it usually takes for this breed to mellow out). I wanted a small dog, but my hubby only wanted a big dog and he won! Good luck to you w/ your little cutie pie!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #4  

She's adorable!

We stupidly got two puppies at the same time. We figured it would be just as easy to raise two as one. Those dogs literally ate my kitchen! They pulled up the linoleum, tore off the baseboard and dug a hole through to the living room! It was rough. They're labs, so they're big chewers. Anyway, everyone said be patient; they'd grow out of it at about 18 months. I got lucky, it was like a switch had been turned when they hit about 14 months old and now they're the best dogs ever.

Hang in there; she'll grow out of her naughtiness!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #5  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

When my ferrets would chew on stuff they weren't supposed to, I'd spray the item with bitter apple spray which can be purchased for around $5 at most pet stores and it worked wonders, my friend took what was left in the bottle and used it when she got her puppy and it worked with her too.

With the right training she will turn out to be sweet and well behaved. I'm sure it's frustrating but, it will all be worth it.

Kudos on the bell training, thats impressive.
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

She is so cute! Teething is hard! Have you tried to give her a Bright Bites dental treat? It will give her something else to chew on that is good for her dental health! http://www.brightbites.com/products/
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

I think you really need to get a trainer to help you. Yes she's house broken and yes she rings a bell...but you need a trainer to help you and her figure out who is in charge....and by the way....ITS her! I find a lot of things that most owners do are a big part of the problem. I also highly suggests watching the program its me or my dog (on animal planet) or read the books by cesar milan (aka the dog wisperer). Most of what owners do are half of the problems. Yes she is 8 months old...but that doesn't mean she can't behave. Humans do a lot of things that dogs think are play..and we don't realize it. Its important to learn how to think like a dog. Once you start doing that, hopefully things will get better. I hope you don't take this as a personal attack....that's not what it was meant. Im a veterinarian and see this a lot. I sit down with my clients and talk to them about what they do and try to help. But a lot of times, its helpful to understand how dog's think and how things we do are misinterpretted. Dogs are smart, but they don't think with their frontal lobe of the brain like they do. So things you think are logical...aren't to dogs.

Good luck with the pupppy...know this....they won't grow out of bad habits if you don't teach them the proper way to behave.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #8  

she is adorable but I honestly have to say puppyhood is over rated.....
with seven dogs in this house I actually ahve to say I prefer them at age 2
but she is a cute one
s
36Paws is offline   Reply With Quote