Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/181.5/150

Height: 5'0''

Default Crystal Light- Good or Bad?

I stopped drinking soda and switched to crystal light thinking that because its got no sugar that I has to be healthier right? But it is an artificial sweetener.

Anyone got any answers?
Crazy Cat Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #2  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I think it depends on what you're going for -- if you're just looking for something low-calorie, it's probably fine. But if you're looking to avoid taking in chemicals and corn syrup and such too, skip it.

I'm trying to avoid overly chemicalized stuff these days, but when I first lost weight in 2004, I drank Crystal Light somewhat regularly and I still did lose weight and I'm still very healthy.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #3  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

I thought the same thing...However...
According to the Medifast Nutritionist...
The sweetner used in sodas is usually a liquid whereas the powder sweeteners used in Crystal Light and other powdered drinks usually contains fillers that add to the caloric and carboyhdate balance in your diet.
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use it quite a bit with out problems, either full strength or diluted, although I use Walmart's version as it is half the price, and I think the flavor is as good or better. However, the sweetener is aspartame, and some people are sensitive to it (headaches are the most common side effect reported, I believe).

My viewpoint is that the ideal diet is all natural whole foods, but that small compromises are relatively harmless here and there, and sometimes it's a matter of the lesser of evils. Others may disagree, but like my weightloss plan in general, in my diet I strive for progress, not perfection.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #5  

I use the single serve Crystal Light -- but instead of 16 oz of water, I add it to 32 oz -- gives just enough flavor to make the water tolerable to me but I feel like I'm not overdoing it.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:36 AM   #6  

I agree that it depends on what is most important to you. If you are trying a more natural approach, it would not be a good idea. However, if you are looking for something to help with hunger I think it can be a good thing. I personally like it because it helps me drink more water.
mabelsfa198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #7  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

I drink mostly plain ol' water, but on occasion when I feel the need to have something sweet to drink, I'll add half a single serve packet to my bottle of water. I quit drinking diet pops a month or so ago (was only drinking caffiene free diet sodas) and had the worst headaches when I switched to water. I assume I had a bit of a dependancy on the sweetners??? Don't feel like going through that again.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote