General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #1  
Mommy On A Mission

S/C/G: 180/172/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Monthly Monster Question

I've had severe monthlies since I was 11 but they seem to b getting worse. I get cramps from my lower stomach through to my lower back and sometimes down my thighs, severe headaches, nausea, huge mood swings (I think I may become bipolar around this time), dizziness, and my flow is so heavy I have to change pads way too often. I've been to doctors before and they give me a range of pills that haven't helped, had 1 to give me loratabs once, which made me not care that I was in pain lol, but i can't take them during the day cause i have 3 children to tend to. I can get the other symptoms to ease just can't seem to get the cramps. Any ideas of maybe something herbal or should i just shoot myself lol.
Butterfly25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

this isnt anyhitng herbal, but have you tried going on the shot? Depo makes your periods stop. You still get some spotting, but dont act like a crazed monster. Of course if you are planning on gettting pregnant in the near future it may not be the best choice. Also did you ever try taking motrin a few days before your peroid starts? this will usually lighten it up and help with the pain
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

I have the merina IUD, I think that's how it's spelled. It gives off a tiny amount of hormone. It has cut my flow by more than half (I only use pantiliners) and I hardly ever get cramps, and if I do, it's for only a few minutes here and there, not enough to use painkillers.
Now, My period wasn't as bad as yours. If yours is 10 on the scale of horribleness, mine was about 7. But it should help. The thing cost me $300, but insurance covered it. I tried the IUD with no hormones, and it made my periods WORSE!!
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #4  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

I had this problem & they did an ultrasound to look for endometriosis - they couldn't confirm it with that & would have had to do surgery, so they put me on the pill first to see if it would help and it has!
I went from being such a heavy flow that I couldn't leave the house and in pain so bad that I'm writhing on the floor and puking from the pain-to no cramps and spotting for a period. It's been about 5 years and it's changed my life.
I think the thing is to find a birth control pill (or one of the other options out there now) that is right for you- because they are all different & sometimes you have to try a few before one works. I am on Yasmin and they just came out with a generic so it's a good price now.
Have you gone to a gynecologist? I wasn't getting anywhere with my regular doctor and when I went to the gyno she knew exactly what to do to get me started on treatment.
Good luck! You are not alone!

Last edited by lizziep; 08-02-2008 at 12:34 PM.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #5  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I had awful periods, lost so much blood one month that I had to have a transfusion and be hospitalized. I'm having surgery this month to remove a fibroid tumor. Have you been checked for those?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #6  
Mommy On A Mission

I haven't been checked for anything besides endometriosis which in the same case as lizziep they only did an ultrasound but they didn't put me on the pill. I have been having my monthly every 3 weeks for the past year but i started after only 2 weeks this time! I'm gonna wait a couple more months and c if me exercising regularly helps if not I will make an appointment. Also this may not mean anything but it is a thought I've had on my mind, every female on my mom's side of the family had to have a hysterectomy by the time she was in her late 20s, I just turned 26...maybe something i also need to check out. They all had similar reasons like some kind of tumor or even endometriosis. Hope the exercise helps though, I've heard that when a woman has that done at a young age she has a greater chance of going crazy and having to b on nerve pills.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #7  
Ufi
Persistence

I suggest you call your doctor and ask if they checked for a fibroid tumor during the ultrasound. They might have. They can be removed, and many insurances cover the cost of the operation. My periods kept getting longer and longer until I was bleeding continuously. I'd hate for someone else to have to suffer needlessly because they didn't know to act sooner.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #8  
Mommy On A Mission

I decided to make an appointment, doc said to keep up the exercising and scheduled me in for the 8th of September. He said that as far as he knew they had checked for everything with the ultrasound but he wants to check again. He stays busy so i was surprised to get in within a month lol. We'll see how it goes, we don't have any kind of insurance but the doc is good about making payment plans. I'll let y'all know what the results r when I get them. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #9  
Ufi
Persistence

Good luck!