Old 07-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #1  
Workin' it out

S/C/G: 175/170.6/150

Height: 5' 4.5"

Question Thai Food calories

Does anyone know a good site for counting calories for Thai food? Tomorrow night we're going out for my husband's birthday. It's generally pretty healthy food - brown rice, stir fry veggies and tofu. I generally steer clear of the noodles. I do love curry though Anyway, if someone knows a good source I'd love to know. Thai is one of my favorites!!!!
ShrinkingShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #2  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

I am not familiar with Thai food. But I did find phad thai... one 9.2 ounce serving is 232 calories. That was the only Thai dish I could find in my book.

I think that if you steer clear of hidden oil and so forth, it shouldn't be too difficult to compute your calories. Just add up the amount in the veggies, rice and so forth to give you a fairly close estimate of your counts for your meal.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:13 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

That calorie count for pad thai is low. Try Calorie King--they list several different sources for pad thai and all of them are higher.

Coconut milk is hugely caloric, so you'll want to be careful with that in the curries...

They give you a lot of rice with the curries, so plan ahead to only eat half a cup of rice. Look at a 1/2 cup dry measuring cup to get an idea of how much that would be.

The vegetables and chicken or other meat are usually not the problem--it's the sauce and the rice. I love Thai food also, but I have to be very careful when I go there. I often take half of my dish home.

good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I ate dinner at a Thai restaurant recently and was lucky enough to find a steamed fish dish with a light lemon sauce that was obviously lowcal as well as delicious. If I weren't trying to lose weight, I would have ordered the coconut soup, but I had a spicy broth-based soup instead. The result was a meal that even with conservative calorie estimates fell well within my budget. Good luck -- I hope you find options that are delicious and on plan!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #5  
Workin' it out

S/C/G: 175/170.6/150

Height: 5' 4.5"

Thanks all! I went to Calorie King (which I've never visited before) and they had some info.

Yoyoma - I think the soup you're talking about is tom yum soup, which is sooo good and, being broth and veggies, is quite low-cal. According to Calorie King they say 50 cal per cup! I think I will start out with a bowl of that.

Jay - Yeah, I know, the curries are danger zones *sigh* I think I will stick with a stir-fry dish. One of my favorites is the cashew dish. Although the cashews up the calories, they are much easier to count than the curry.
ShrinkingShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #6  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
That calorie count for pad thai is low. Try Calorie King--they list several different sources for pad thai and all of them are higher.
Jay

Thanks for the head's up. My book tends to value a little on the high side, so I figured that it was on track for that dish, too.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote