PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 PM   #1  
Writing my success story

Default Balance Bars and PCOS/IR?

Are balance bars good for us PCOSers? I like the protein to carb ratio and they taste pretty good. I alternate them with Atkins shakes for a more balanced snack.
allabouttheskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Personally I'd stick with whole foods that don't have the **** processed out of them. Luna bars and Cliff bars are definitely easy go-to convenience foods and they're not necessarily a bad choice (I had one this afternoon, even) but I would really advise something as easy as a handful of nuts and some blueberries or yogurt - you can create the same protein : carb ratio with that, and you don't include all the extra crap in the energy bars. (Just check the ingredients label and see what I mean.) The one type of bar I really like are Gnu bars. Just remember that there is a lot more to nutrition than just carbs, protein, and fat. There's a heck of a lot more absorbable nutrients and enzymes in a banana or an apple or some peanut butter than in even "fortified" bars.

The other thing you should consider is that the nutrition bar started out as an energy replacement for endurance athletes. Many of them are packed with lots of energy - i.e. carbs and sugar (and often lots of fat). I don't know Balance Bars too well but do some research and make sure it's the right, ahem, balance for maintaining a steady blood sugar level.
snoozlebug is offline   Reply With Quote