Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/185/125

Height: 5 3

Default July Preggos!

Hi, ladies! Just checkin' in with all of you. Things are going well here. I'm still working at the hospital and so far so good without any new restrictions. I haven't worked this week since our census is low. It's been nice so I've been able to get some household projects done today since DH is home, too! Tonight is all about scrapbooking my youngest's 1st year scrapbook. (he is already 2, that's how far behind I am)

Last OB visit was good. Don't need to go back til the end of the month. I'm very happy about that. Insurance offered me a preterm labor prevention program that I was happy to accept. An OB nurse came to my house, answered my questions after a DVD viewing and just spent time answering any concerns I have. Then an OB nurse calls me weekly to check in and make sure I'm okay (read "behaving"). I love this extra attention. Once you've moved past your first kid, I feel like your left out in the cold, medically speaking. My OB has been great and I am hopeful for a term delivery without bedrest this time around, I guess, we will see. OH, and I had my ultrasound and found out we are adding a baby girl to the mix!! DH is thrilled!!! Slowly my nursery closet is filling with pink! Did I mention my other 3 children are boys?? All of us are sooo excited!

JEN- How are you doing? Out for good? when are you due again?
almsthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Almsthere - Congratulations on the baby girl!! You and DH must be really excited. Now you can buy pretty, frilly, pink things. A friend of mine is TTC #4 and they are desperately hoping for a girl since they, too, have 3 boys.

I'm still hanging in here, 18 weeks yesterday. Nothing to report, which IMO is a good thing. I'm waiting (rather impatiently) until our appointment on the 17th, as long as baby cooperates we'll find out the gender! DH and I both "feel" like it's a girl, which we figure must mean it's a boy. We'll see.

I am finally getting back to some exercise, it took a while. Pretty much just walking and I still play volleyball 1 day per week. Mostly though I just stay at home thoroughly enjoying my air conditioning. I'm like the women in Father of the Bride 2. Poor DH is probably freezing, but I keep the house at a very comfortable 68 degrees. There's nothing better than walking out of 100-degree weather into a cool house.

I've been finding myself craving more time outside than I have in a long time. DH and I have been taking a lot more walks. We saw a whole family of skunks the other night (momma and 4 little babies) and my reaction was "awwww, they're so cute!" DH just looked at me and said "man, you've got baby fever BAD." Hehe... he's right. I love looking at families of any sort lately.

I hope everyone else is doing well!

Last edited by Gale02; 07-05-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #3  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hey everyone. I am doing pretty good. Not much to complain about. Almsthere....yes I am done work now until after maternity leave. I got my short term disability which is just as well because I am good for about 20-30 minutes of doing anything and then I am wiped out with a sore back. Saturday I came home from grocery shopping and just sat and cried for about 15 minutes because my back was so sore. I'm a bit worried how this time off is going to affect how much I will get on maternity leave but I've decided not to worry about it. We can manage financially, really a little here or there won't make that much of a difference. Overall my back isn't too bad as long as I take it easy, I'm probably just hitting that over emotional period.

I'm due Sept 6 but I'm having a planned c-section (as far as I know, haven't seen the OB yet to book an appt) which if I am figuring things right will probably be the last week of August so I've got a little over 7 weeks to go. I wish it was tomorrow, this hasn't been a really wonderful pregnancy, not that I've had a load of complications or anything so I can't complain about that, it is just all the little aches and pains adding up that have made it uncomfortable. I almost dread going to bed at night because I just cannot get comfortable in my bed no matter what I do with pillows, I am sleeping on the couch most of the time and even then I am not always able to sleep long periods. Oh well, in a few weeks I'll be sleeping more comfortably but not for more than 4 or 5 hours at a time!

Hope everyone had a good weekend, talk to you soon!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Jen - I'm sorry your back is causing you so much trouble. I hope the 7 weeks go quickly for you.

I have been trying hard to keep myself busy making things for the baby. Since I came back from my visit back home (about 2 weeks ago) I'm trying so hard to keep a positive attitude & keeping myself busy definitely helps with that. This pregnancy just seems like a giant waiting game for me!

I've put on 20lbs so far but seem to be holding there for a little bit. My tummy is definitely looking pregnant - depending on the mood I'm in - otherwise it just looks fat - lol!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #5  
Jen

Hey everyone. Not much going on with me, just hanging in there, trying to get through it day by day. Oy I wish it was time already! I'm so ready emotionally and physically to have this baby and get my body back to a more normal state. It is very frustrating having so many difficulties. Oh well, that was my little moan for the day.

Take care, hope everyone is doing well!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #6  

The past week I've just been racked with anxiety. There is nothing in particular I'm anxious about - it changes from hour to hour. But I just cannot seem to shake the feeling deep in my gut that something in my life is terribly wrong. I hate this!

The baby is moving soooo much now - I love that. I don't however love when he kicks my bladder. The first time he did it, it caught me so off guard I almost wet myself - lol!

I'm SUCKING at being active. I try to bring the dogs for a walk everyday at least but some days (like this morning) I get up too late & the rain has already started.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Lifeguard - Try not to stress too much about your activity level while you're pregnant. I really wanted to stay active the whole pregnancy but I haven't been able to, and I've had to accept that. At this point all I can do is a daily walk to the mailbox, which takes about five minutes! You do what you can, and that just has to be enough, you know?

Jen - I know what you mean about being ready to go ahead and have the baby -- I'm ready in most ways but not in others. I'm pretty anxious.

Gale - Make sure you report back and let us know the gender! If you feel like it's a girl, I bet it is. I had VERY strong boy vibes, and mine is a boy.

almsthere - Congrats on the girl!

I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow, so I'll have an internal check at my OB appointment. I'd pretty much rather have my toenails ripped off one by one, but oh well. I guess I'll suffer through. Worse pain is in my immediate future, right? My brother says he has a feeling I'll have the baby on July 14, which is Monday! I can't imagine him coming that early. I just have a feeling he's really comfy in there and not planning on coming out anytime soon. He's been moving a lot more lately, kind of beating me up from the inside. I love feeling movement, but now his movements are so strong they actually hurt and keep me awake at night. I'll take it, though, because the movements let me know that he's still ok in there. Now that the baby has dropped somewhat and his head is in my pelvis, it feels pretty odd, though. I think he's moving his head and his hands up by it, so I feel some strange things in that area, and then I feel kicks in my ribs at the same time. I guess he's trying to get into a comfy position and doesn't have a lot of room left.

Enough rambling for today -- I'm off to sit around and read and do nothing, which is pretty much all I'm good for lately...
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 194/190/145

Height: 5'3

Default New to the thread...

Hi Ladies,

I am new to this thread, as I just found at two weeks ago that I am pregnant. This is my second pregnancy. My son is about to turn 6, so we have spaced them well. I have been on 3FC for the last five years trying to lose baby weight from #1... somewhat unsuccessfully. So know I am focused on have a healthy pregnancy and not piling on another 70 lbs.

So far I am in week seven, and I have actually lost 6 pounds. (Lost most of it before I knew I was pregnant.) My goal is to keep my weight gain at or below 25 pounds. No more of this 70lb gain stuff. So I will be avoiding all of the bad foods I was drawn to the first time... milkshakes, ice cream, gallons of milk, french fries, you get the picture.

I am also going to remain active. Last time I got lazy, then I got BIG and couldn't move. So I am using the treadmill 4 times a week, riding my horse, and moving a lot. Got to get it done now while I still can... because near the end moving is a lot harder.

I look forward to getting to know you all! And learning any tips and advice you have about maintaining a decent weight gain.

Due date: Feb 25th 2009
tkt117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:27 AM   #9  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

So, I need a minute to vent some of my thoughts. I've been going nuts tonight and think I just need to get it out.

Is there anyone else that's completely paranoid about gaining too much weight (and really, where's that line?) during your pregnancy? I feel like I'm completely nuts about it, freaked out about it really. I worked so hard to lose the 65 lbs that I did and I don't ever want to be at my high weight again. Thing is, I gained 20lbs of it back before I got pregnant! I feel like it just makes my "error margin" that much smaller. I honestly do know that I'm irrational about this, but I'm really very afraid of being that heavy again. I'm at 19 weeks, nearly halfway, and I've only gained 7 or 8lbs (I'll find out exactly on Thursday) so far, which I'm really happy with. But, I also know that there's a whole lot more pregnancy left and women tend to gain more in the later months than in the earlier months.

I know in the rational side of my brain that even if I do gain "too much", I am very well equipped to lose it again. But, the hormone driven, completely emotional side of me is terrified of having to do it over again! Losing weight is HARD WORK and I don't like hard work (she whines pathetically). I especially don't like to doing something over again when it was done right the first time (like I'm going to have to do with that 20 lbs.)

I think I just needed a good whine. DH is totally supportive, but doesn't understand this fear since "the weight is good weight - it's for the baby." I get that, honestly I do, but it's still hard to see it coming on. Especially since I don't look pregnant yet. I just look like maybe I've been eating too much pizza and am a little bloated. I think that I just have to remember that I eat well 90% of the time (I do have a totally indulgent meal out about once every 2 weeks) and trust from there.

Thanks for letting me whine, I needed a moment. Whew, back to real life now.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #10  

Gale - I totally understand what you mean. I am somewhat obsessed with my scale (it's an ongoing joke in our house) - I really do get distressed if I have to go too long without being able to weigh myself. Yes, I know that's not the healthiest for me mentally but realistically it helps keep me in check (as in: no I'm not HUGE as I'm the same size as I was yesterday...).

Anyway, I find myself very worried about gaining too much - it was sooo much work to lose & I don't really want to go there again. Plus, we want to have several children & hopefully fairly close together. So I have set a goal of losing all the baby weight + 20lbs between this pregnancy & the next - so the more I gain the more I have to lose - with a timeline in mind. Ugh!!!!

Welcome tkt!!! Congrats!

Lisamarie - How was your appointment? I have one with a new doc this week - I'm not sure if I'm nervous or looking forward to it.

I'm still really struggling with anxiety. I can't seem to find the source of it & so am finding it difficult to find effective ways to deal with it. To make things worse dh's job shorted him most of his paycheque & I am in a panic about money - it's taking some time to figure out where the mistake was.

My goal this week is to get as many things off of my to do list as possible in the hopes that will get rid of (at least some) my anxiety.

I've started getting a little swelling in my hands - oddly enough it seems to be the worst when I first wake up in the morning or after a nap?! I've also been kind of constipated (sorry tmi) & I'm wondering if the two things could be related? I think the constipation is mentally based as we are having major problems with our toilets not flushing reliably & I dread having a bm 'cause I hate plunging. Plumber is coming tomorrow so hopefully all will be resolved.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Lifeguard -- I too was very concerned about gaining all my weight back, especially because I had actually reached goal! I've gained a LOT of it back, and I eventually had to stop weighing myself and just look when I go to the doctor. It's depressing, but I feel sure that I can lose it again.

As for my appointment Friday, eek...don't ask. My OB was called away to deliver a baby, so I had the nurse practitioner. Well, let's just say she's never touching me again. It's not completely her fault. I have a real issue with pelvic exams and always have (I have a condition that causes me a LOT of pain with any kind of spreading apart or penetration, and internal exams are pretty much unbearable). I thought I was kind of over this condition now that I'm pregnant, but this appointment showed me that I'm not. The NP didn't even do the internal check -- she just did the swab test for Group B strep. But she was kind of rough and did it too quickly for me, and she wasn't sensitive to my problem. But she didn't really know the full extent of it, so I don't completely blame her. The problem is that now it's got me REALLY stressed about how I'm going to get through the rest of the internal exams (and labor, for that matter). I plan to have a nice long talk about it with my OB at my appointment Friday and hopefully we can come up with some sort of strategy for dealing with it. The problem is that I could go into labor before then! I'm really hoping I can make it at least another week so I can have that talk with her. Another problem is that since the swab test, I've been sort of burning/stinging down there, and I'm not sure why. I think I'm just irritated from how rough she was.

So as you can see, I'm a bit more stressed now, and this is NOT the time to be stressed. I'm in the home stretch!! I really really really hope the baby holds out another week or two (I'm not technically due until August 1, so he may hold out for another month).

I had my third and final baby shower Saturday and got some more stuff I need. I plan (if I feel up to it) to go shopping tomorrow for the remainder of the small stuff I need (a few blanket sleepers, a rectal thermometer, breast milk storage bags, bottles, a carrier, etc) and then we still need a crib mattress, glider, and breast pump. We're almost ready, but not quite! At least the bassinet is put together, so he'll have somewhere to sleep!! The crib is still in its box!

My biggest worry right now is not knowing when to call or go to the hospital. Everyone says you'll KNOW when you're having contractions, but I feel so many odd little cramps and twinges that I never know what's going on, and I have no idea if I've had Braxton-Hicks contractions. I constantly have lots of pelvic pressure, but that's been there for ages.

As you can see from my very long post, I'm stressed!! I hope you guys are doing ok!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #12  

Lisamarie- you will totally know when you are in labor. If you are like me the first time around, you pray for your water to break so that way you definately know. With my last one, my water didn't break and the weekend before I felt miserable and started timing contractions. As soon as they got predictable, they went away. I woke up Monday morning at 5:30am with definate contractions and no doubt about it, I was in labor. I couldn't even talk during the contractions, nor remain standing. I knew. I worried about this myself and it was my 3rd delivery. This time around, I trust my body to do its thing. You know how you see or read about these women who present to the ER in labor and don't even know it. I don't understand this but think that they must not be in tune with themselves. How do you not feel different or at least fetal movement. I don't get it. Trust me, you will know. I don't know where you are planning to deliver. Walk around as much as you can with your contractions. My last baby was the only one whose water didn't break so I was a little more mobile since they didn't have to strap me to the bed and monitor me. I waited for them to clean the hospital room and as I waited, I walked to halls, pausing to lean up against the corridor rail for a contraction, breathing through it, and continued walking. The more you walk, the more weight of the baby head presses your cervix causing you to dilate and thin faster. By the time, the room was clean, the nurse asked me if I could lay down in the bed, and I said no. NOt until the last possible minute. I felt my baby coming. She didn't believe me because I guess I was too calm and relaxed. I mean, I was all business with my contractions. My DH isn't one for pain or helping you through it, my sister was my labor coach and comic relief with my first delivery. By the time, they checked me approximately, a little over an hour after I had arrived and walked the halls waiting for a clean room, I measured at 7.5. Once they broke my water, it would be a matter of minutes. I had no time for an epidural!! But all in all it was a great delivery and I felt great. If I had an option with this one, I would definately labor as long as I could at home, or maybe walk around the hospital to be there but not officially check in. The longer you stay off the monitors the better, I feel. Unless, of course, you want the security of hearing the heartbeat. I was so uncomfortable strapped to the monitors and having to lay on my back, I almost fought with the nurse with #2 because I had sciatica so bad on my rt side and down my leg. I couldn't lay on my back for long. If I moved, they lost the heartbeat and had to come in and reposition the monitor. Oh, well, come back in and reposition me, then. How is it they tell you not to lay on your back for rest and sleep during pregnancy and then they want you strapped to the bed on your back to monitor you during labor?? Doesn't add up for me and I'm an RN, too!!!

I'm sorry this was such a long post but I feel like a have insider insight since I still work in the hospital (even doing some shifts in postpartum unit) and have had 3 completely different hospital deliveries. Feel free to post or pm me if you have questions.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #13  

SO, I'm heading into work today for the first time in over 2 weeks. Census has been low and they haven't needed me at all. I am a little nervous because I have been laying low at home and am concerned that I don't overdo it walking the halls tonight. SO, say a little prayer, and think of me tonight because I am doing so well this pregnancy that I don't want to screw myself up. I also have been having more round ligament and sciatica! Yikes. That definatlely won't make the walking easier or more comfortable. Hopefully, I can find my maternity belt and strap it on before I go into work. That has gotten me through the final stages of pregnancy while still trying to work as long as I medically can.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:05 AM   #14  
Jen

Morning all. Almsthere, hope your shift was okay and you didn't overdo it. Nursing is one of those professions I think where you completely forget about yourself whilst in the midst of caring for patients. I know, I injured my shoulder last year in a patient related incident.

Lisa, sorry to hear that you had such a bad visit with the NP. Hopefully in the midst of labour you won't mind so much the internal exams. I have to admit that I remember practically nothing about being checked when I had my first.

Lifeguard, hope your plumber arrived and got your toilet sorted out. No it is not too much information, pregnant women can't afford TMI because we need to talk to each other about this stuff because who else we gonna talk to when it takes forever to get into the doctor's office?? Could be that the swelling is taking water away from your bowels, maybe that you need to drink more water. I find that drinking more helps with the swelling.

Gale, I'm another one worried about my weight but unlike you gals I hadn't lost any to begin with. I also feel like I just look really fat and not especially pregnant. Right now my concern is that the less I gain now the less I will have to lose later. I think I will probably lose as much as I have gained with the delivery so here's hoping that I can keep up the weight loss afterwards. I haven't really gained that much. Right now I think I am at about 15 lbs so I am okay with that. The last time I lost all the weight I had gained within 3 weeks of delivery but I could never lose any more after that and started gaining. That's not going to be the case this time!!

Otherwise not much new going on. I see the OB tomorrow so hopefully will know what day I will be going in for my section. Still working on getting the baby's room ready. I'm so po'd with my husband. He's such an all or nothing person. He can't work on something slow and steady. Like all he has to do is move his stuff out of the room and down to the basement. If he'd do a little bit every night he'd have it done in no time. But no, he wants to do it all in one shot and I know he'll get frustrated and everything will end up in boxes and not sorted out. Well I am going ahead with working on the baby's room around his stuff. I'm going to get the paint today and I'm working on painting some shelves that are going up in there and it'll get done whether his stuff is still in there or not. I'll just put it in the hallway if it is in my way! Maybe that will be incentive to get his butt moving.

Take care everyone, have a great day!

Last edited by Jen; 07-15-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #15  

Ugh - I am HATING how big I feel right now. I don't know how I'm going to make it through to the end continuing to gain. I'm up 22lbs right now which is just too much, even if I had been normal weight to start with. I feel so out of control.

Sorry - I had to vent & dh just doesn't get it.