Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 09:30 PM   #1  

Default Lifetimer Loosing Motivation

Hi Everyone! I am new at this, but not new at WW. I joined WW in January 2001 and lost a total of 35 pounds and got lifetime in August 2001. I had great motivation during my journey that is until I got lifetime,after that it was all down hill. I journal everyday faithfully and followed program to the letter. But now that I reached my goal I feel like I lost all motivation. I feel like once you reach lifetime the challenge is gone. I never would of thought stickers, ribbons, and key chains would me so much as a reward.Now I watch evryone recieve their awards and their progress and remeber how much I couldn't wait to recieve my. But now I am struggling it seems with everything. I feel like quiting but husband tries to help keep me motive and going to my meetings. He reminds how I felt before and how much weight I would gain back if I quit. I feel like a sinking ship and hope I can find a friend who can really relate. maybe we can save each other.thanks and hope to hear from you soon.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:41 AM   #2  

Boy, can I relate to that! This maintenance thing is hard work (but so worth it!). I also reached lifetime last summer, and am trying to lose a bit more to reach my personal goal; it's slow going! Re: motivation, some people give themselves little rewards (there was a thread on that not long ago) like stickers on the calendar or little gifts. Or, you could try attending a meeting each week (since it's free now! ) for extra motivation. How about letting your leader know that you can be called on during the meeting? Leaders usually like to have lifetimers at meetings to help inspire other members. Coming to these boards helps a lot, too. Hang in there; you can do it!
Jan
Old 03-14-2002, 01:54 PM   #3  

Hershey - I also joined in January 2001 and reached Lifetime in August 2001. I lost 33.2 pounds to reach goal.

I agree, maintenance is harder in a way than actually reaching goal. Every day I think about every single thing I eat - but I have accepted that that is just the way it is and the way it will always be. I'm very proud because I have maintained since August.

We have a great group of folks chatting daily and weekly on the Lifetimers/Maintenance thread....and we just started a new 12 week challenge - come on over and join us!

Kena
Old 03-14-2002, 04:31 PM   #4  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

Although I'm not at Lifetime, a couple of things you said made me wonder if your answer isn't hidden in your post.

One thing that I see is that you now are at your meetings and your achievement isn't being recognized. A lot of people have complained that WW doesn't really support Lifetime status as well as they could. So, support yourself. When it's an anniversary of your Lifetime status, perhaps you could work out with your leader that she would let people know because the folks who are still losing need to know that there are people besides WW employees who reach and stay at their goal weight. You could ask her to present you with a sticker (which you provide), if you want the recognition. What you are doing is hard!! And it deserves recognition.

The other thing that you said is that you feel as if the challenge is gone. I can understand how the challenge of doing what it takes to lose the weight is a powerful motivator. It seems as if you need two things here--a different motivator for maintaining your weight loss and a new challenge in your life. A new weight-related challenge could be weighing in each month at a weight that keeps your Lifetime status. Do somethinig special for yourself when you acheive this goal, month after month. Perhaps every few months, you could do something larger.

But, I also think perhaps you need to move on to another challenge, as well. Take a class in something you've always been interested in. Make a list of those things you "want to do someday" and do some of them. A thought I had once that has done more for me in reaching my weight loss success (even though it's really slow going with a lot of ups and downs), is:

Life isn't about weight. It's about Life.

So, I take care of my health by doing WW. And I take care of my life by living each day to the fullest I can.

Hope this helps!!

Lin
Old 03-15-2002, 12:51 PM   #5  

Hershey, I know what you mean. I lost 120 lbs. and every week it was so exciting to find out exactly what my loss was for that week and get all the recognition. My leader called on me a lot to tell everyone my total or pass around my "before" photos. I found maintenance way harder because there wasn't the thrill of pounds lost or people admiring me anymore. I knew that sooner or later I'd gain the weight back if I didn't do something!

Here's what I did -- I got a job as a WW receptionist. The pay is lousy considering the amount of work/reading they expect you to do, but everyone I know who works for WW agrees that we do it for the motivation. I HAVE gained back a sizeable amount of my weight, but I am always working to get it back off, whereas before I would've gained it ALL back, plus some, by now.

It's an idea to think about, anyway.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:44 AM   #6  

Default Back on track

I joined Feb 2001. My buddy joined with me but dropped out (and got pregnant).

I lost 21 pounds in 6 months (much slower than I had hoped). My mom lost 15 since we eat together. I think Dad gained weight during this period.

Did well, continued to lose through the holidays. Then I gained 5# back. And stayed there. I'm now 3# over my stated goal weight. So beginning with January, I would go, weigh in and pay. Oh how that hurt.

I kept going once a month to keep my lifetime membership. Having spent the time and money to get there, I am not going to give up easily.

This Saturday I went, weighed in and bought a new spiral bound journal. Today I get back on track with journaling everything I eat.

Why am I so determined? My Dad had a bad stroke and is still in the hospital 3 weeks later. My old behavior would have been to eat due to the stress. But I am determined to get back on track and eat healthy.

Regardless of whether I maintain or lose weight, I will get through this in a more positive way.

What helped when I was losing: going to the meetings (I now weigh in and leave); checking out low fat cookbooks from the library; this board; my coworkers who are doing WW at work.
Closed Thread