Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Default motivations

What do you all do for motivation? It's complicated but I'm basically in between jobs right now so I'm home all day. At first it wasn't an issue, but it's been close to 6 months now and I'm going crazy being home all the time. As a result it's really hard for me to get the motivation to do anything, including simple things like laundry, dishes, etc. I always enjoy being at the gym so I try to tell myself I just need to go for 15 minutes on those days I don't want to go but it seems to be working less and less. I'd love some tips for extra motivation! Especially from people who are in similar situations! Thanks!!!
vmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #2  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I have some strategies that work for me, maybe one of these will work for you.

First, I always have some goal that I'm working toward. When I'm training for a race (I'm a runner), I have a "training plan" that I have to meet. When I first started exercising, I committed to 3 days per week minimum. It just helps me to set some concrete, measureable, achievable goal. I schedule it in, just like anything else, and make it a priority. If it's not a priority, then everything else will crowd it out.

I usually work out first thing in the morning. I'm an early bird anyway. I lay out my workout clothes the night before, put those on, and start my work out before I wake up enough to talk myself out of it. When I don't feel like working out, I just commit to start and do a little bit -- and then usually find that I perk up and feel like putting in a full workout. The hard part is usually getting there and getting started!

Once I work out, I feel energized and much more likely to be productive the rest of the day!

Good luck....
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hey there,
I know how hard it is to get going...it's sometimes harder than the actual workout! I lay my workout clothes out the night before. That way, when I'm too tired in the morning, I won't go picking another outfit out. Then, as soon as I can, I drive to the gym. If you eat breakfast, make it a breakfast you'll only let yourself have on the way there: make a smoothie and drink it as you drive to the gym. Be sure you have great music to workout to with you. Plan a reward for when you finish. For me, it's my cup of coffee with one Splenda. Pathetic, but hey, it works!

Is it possible that you're depressed? It's hard to tell from your post, but lack of motivation to do basic tasks can indicate a possiblity of depression...but it could also be regular boredom w/ life.

Finally: just cuz you're home, doesn't mean you shouldn't have a daily plan of what to do. So, when you wake up, get dressed and get to the gym. Kick your own butt! Plan to come back and have a light protein snack. Then, shower and change. Plan to do laundry and dishes. Limit the amount of t.v. you watch to a couple of shows a day. Studies have shown that increased t.v. leads to more depression. Make other plans. Go to a book store or go for a walk. Join a belly dancing class at your local rec. center. Have things to look forward to! When you watch t.v., have some free weights around and do bicep curls during commercials or push ups or curnches. Mix it up and have fun. Turn on some music at home and clean your house as you dance to it.
Anyway, you gotta get creative and get going so you can look back on this time and be proud of your efforts. Take care.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the great suggestions! I like the idea of laying out clothing, so that when I wake up I see them first thing as a reminder. And after I get out and do something I am more productive so maybe doing it first thing will be better as opposed to doing it mid afternoon.
I'm generally a pretty happy person so I don't *think* I'm depressed, just bored, but I could be. The situation in a nutshell--I'm a pastry chef, and come January, my boss told me she decided to close the bakery. I had been on holiday for 3 weeks so it came as a big blow, but luckily I had an idea that it could happen so I had already put my resume out there. I got hired for my absolute dream job-running my own kitchen in a new bakery!--the problem is that it needed massive renovations, which are taking MUCH longer than anticipated. My original start date was March 1...now it looks like we'll open mid June. Along the way there have been other dates making me feel like I shouldn't commit to something a class since I didn't know when I would be starting, etc. (Most likely just an excuse, lol) At first I was doing recipe testing, research, etc but I'm at a standstill waiting for things to get done and have done everything I can for it until the kitchen is finished.
You are VERY right though about kicking my own butt. It's definitely something I need to start doing more of. Thanks again!
vmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm so glad to hear that you have such a great job lined up, but it is hard to be stuck in limbo-land! You sound like you have a great attitude though. I can respect any person who is willing to kick their own butt! Just go through the motions and you'll ge there. You already lost 7lbs., which is awsome! Take this opportunity to take care of yourself, because once you start your new job, you'll be dreaming of the carefree days when you had time to get so much stuff done (and that includes working out)!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Ok, here's my mantra about exercise. I know I've said this so many times that people are probably rolling their eyes about now!

Motivation doesn't last. I don't exercise because I'm motivated. The reason I am able to stick to a plan and exercise with any regularity because I changed my mindset about exercise (and about eating right, in fact). I exercise because it's one of those things that you do - whether you like it or not - when you become a responsible adult.

I get up every morning and go to work - not because I want to, but because it is the responsible adult thing to do.
I pay my bills every month - not because I want to (Lord knows I could have a lot more fun with that money elsewhere!), but because it's the responsible adult thing to do.
I brush and floss my teeth every morning - not because it's fun, but because it's the responsible adult thing to do.
I get the oil changed in my car regularly because it's the responsible adult thing to do.
And I exercise 4-5 times a week because ... it's the responsible adult thing to do.

Once I began to think of exercise in that manner, it stopped becoming a *choice* where I'd say "oh, I'm so motivated to exercise because I lost 3 lbs" or whatever and where I'd ask "should I go to the gym today?" or "do I feel like going to the gym today?" It no longer is a choice. It just is another thing that I do ... because it's what you do as a responsible adult.

I know that might not work for everyone, but it does work for me and it takes the need to be motivated out of it. It just is.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 05-22-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: because I do brush my teeth more than once a month! :)
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

My mantra is similar to Photochick - I ask myself WHAT I will do to exercise today - IF I will exercise is never a question I ask. Exercise is non-negotiable (unless I am ill). I try to have things in place to make it easy - lots of DVDS, a space with equipment readily at hand, workout clothes ready to go (sports bra hanging in a visible spot), and even my water glass sitting on the counter waiting to be filled and used.

I also keep my food and exercise in a daily log. It helps keep me on track. There is a big blank on my charts and graphs if I skip exercise.

Finally, I do it early in the day - Get up, cup of coffee, daily devotions, exercise, breakfast - it sets the tone for the rest of the day.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #8  
Rachel

S/C/G: 280/258/170

Height: 5'7"

Exclamation Motivation & Exercise

I've had a hard time with motivation too. I haven't been feeling like doing anything. I've not been diagnosed with depression, or just boredom, but I think it might be both. I've been stuck in a job I don't like for two years and have been applying for jobs like crazy but can't find anything (in my degree or in administative staff). Add money problems to that, and not being able to travel anywhere (something I've always found a way to do) and being a relatively newlywed (2+ years) and feeling constantly frustrated/angry b/c of the above stuff and I think I might be depressed. I've been on WW for 5 1/2 months and lost 15 lbs, which I love but I need to exercise too to lose more and keep it off. I've never been good with motivation, which is why I am at my current state.
I do like the idea of laying out workout clothes beside the bed so it's the first thing I see and doing it first thing in the morning, before I can think of something better to do. I'm trying to find an exercise video that I really like that I can do on a regular basis. So if anyone has any suggestions on that too, it would be appreciated.
librarygirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote