Old 05-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default New to this part of the boards...

I've been on 3FC for a few years now. As of this morning, I was officially diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. Hurray

I really wish my previous doctors had been more thorough. I recently changed jobs, so I went to a new doctor, and she ordered a whole bunch of tests. I got the results at my follow-up appointment this morning, and they are NOT good. Fasting glucose: 214. A1C: 9.5. Triglycerides: 165. And my blood pressure has been as high as 155/95 (though last week was 120/94 and today was 140/88).

And so, here I am! My doctor recommended I limit my total carb intake to 150g per day or less. I have no problem with this and was actually already doing it before she suggested it. It's all a very frustrating situation because I started very closely watching what I eat and exercising regularly about a month ago, so I was hoping to prevent things like this from happening (not knowing they were already happening on my inside!). Of course, my mother is also a Type 2 Diabetic, so that didn't help my chances any.

I'm picking up my prescription tonight and will be on 500mg Metformin twice a day beginning tomorrow. I will continue to keep my carbs and saturated fat low, and I will continue exercising for 60-90 minutes most days. I'm 25, and my doc said I can't be on Metformin while pregnant. We plan on trying to start a family in about 3-4 years, so my goal is to get off the Metformin as soon as possible.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #2  
No description available.

I know that with your brains and determination, you will meet this head on.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi JILLY . . . glad you found us and really hope we will be able to help. It's never a fun diagnosis, Chickie but be assured you are doing the right things. Just about the best thing you can do is to lose some weight and you are definitely headed in the right direction.

Hope to see you over in our regular Dieting with Diabetes Chat thread . . . never forget, we are all hear for you. . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote