Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/223/160

Height: 5 ft 1 in

Default Feeling discouraged, and down..

So i've been going to WW meetings for a year now, obviously I haven't lost as much as I want or should. I try to keep in perspective that if I wasn't going to meetings that I would have gained a lot instead of losing 11 lbs.

I've always struggled with weight and after my second was born last year, i weigh the most I ever have. I have a husband who is behind me, loves me no matter what and so forth. I should be motivated and gung ho, but I'm just having a tough time to get myself to do anything right. The only thing i'm doing right is the exercise, but my eating sucks....and the kicker is I know I shouldn't be eating it but i do anyway.

I have talked to my husband on how i feel and he listens and offers words of encouragement but he can only understand so much. He's always been thin and he's the guy who can have cookies every night and not gain a thing.

Just trying to get my butt on track. I know it can be done. I lost about 50 lbs before I had my first baby, but I guess I just need some encouragement. I don't like feeling this way.

thanks for listening.
cheeseheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:30 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Cheeseheader - - don't think I've seen you around yet!

First - I reject the idea that there is some amount you "should" have lost in a year. Weight loss is a journey, and we all go along at our own pace. Some of us race and some of us walk. And too many times I've seen people push too far, run too fast, and burn out before the end of the path. What you want may be different, but in a society where gaining 5-10 lbs a year is considered normal, losing any weight at all is a victory, and one you no doubt had to fight for, so celebrate it! You've moving FORWARD on the path.

That being said, if you're ready to start moving a bit faster, you can probably get a lot of information and support here to help you. What are your particular challenges you're having trouble overcoming? When are you eating things you would rather not...when you're tired? When you're overhungry? When you're feeling a strong emotion? Identifying the reasons you overeat can really help to gain control over it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #3  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

welcome to 3FC!

agree totally that weight loss doesnt have a specific time scale. its each to their own.

think about all the health benefits youve gained from exercise (thats the bit i struggle with!)

good luck and welcome again x
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think just about everyone on here has felt frustration with their weight at some point, so let that be your motivation. The difference between those who got to goal and those who probalby don't show up here anymore is giving up. Commit to not giving up. Commit to make small changes...one at a time. Sorry, I gotta run!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #5  

thanks for the replies. I know part of my eating comes during the afternoon after the kids are upstairs for their naps. It's the only time of the day i have to myself, so I sit, watch tv and munch. I also think that a lot of it is emotional eating too.

I just joined a few weeks ago to 3FC and i really like the forums and there seems to be a lot of advice and people who understand. I look forward to being on here more. A lot of these stories are truly inspiring!
Old 05-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #6  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

So how about this...instead of sitting and watching TV and munching while the kids are napping, come here and read some of the success stories. Or post about the reasons why you feel like eating. That's what I do when work is boring (always) and I want to dig into the junk food that's always cluttering the office.

Last edited by thistoo; 05-15-2008 at 08:40 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:29 AM   #7  
focus creates results

S/C/G: 167/125/110

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I think just about everyone on here has felt frustration with their weight at some point, so let that be your motivation. The difference between those who got to goal and those who probalby don't show up here anymore is giving up. Commit to not giving up. Commit to make small changes...one at a time.
That's really great advice.
Lekhika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
So how about this...instead of sitting and watching TV and munching while the kids are napping, come here and read some of the success stories. Or post about the reasons why you feel like eating. That's what I do when work is boring (always) and I want to dig into the junk food that's always cluttering the office.
yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I do remember that when I was trying to lose weight before I got pregnant with my first, I would go onto the WW message boards quite a lot and now thinking about it, I think that contributed to my success more than I ever realized. I also thought of maybe doing some scrapbooking or something to keep my hands busy during that time.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #9  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hi Cheeseheader,

I think it's absolutely normal to feel discouraged at times. I had such a day yesterday myself. It seems to me that each month, there is some new obstacle waiting for me to mess with my weight loss plan. First it was shin splints, then hip joints. I had to ease off my exercise and there were also a few days when I ate stuff I normally would not have (I was at a party; then there was a get-together lunch with "girls") and I felt that my gut was getting bigger and I was losing the tone that I worked so hard for. It was weigh in day as well and I was somewhat miffed that since April 30, I lost only 1 lb. (though I am grateful it was one pound minus and not one pound plus).
After an hour at the gym last night and 50 minutes on the treadmill this morning, my spirit is soaring again.

Can you perhaps add a bit of exercise to your routine? I find that when I exercise, I am much more disciplined with food as I realize how hard it is to burn 500 calories, etc. Personally, I find it very hard to lose weight just by dieting. I hope you will feel better tomorrow.

Amanda,
You always write such nice encouraging posts. Gotta give you a hug, too.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/169/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseheader View Post
yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I do remember that when I was trying to lose weight before I got pregnant with my first, I would go onto the WW message boards quite a lot and now thinking about it, I think that contributed to my success more than I ever realized. I also thought of maybe doing some scrapbooking or something to keep my hands busy during that time.
I've no idea if this would work or not, but I had a friend who took up knitting to give her something to do with her hands to help her stop smoking. Would something like that maybe help? And you get something nice at the end of it too!

Good luck whatever you do
tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #11  
Operator265

Also, once you've done some thread trekking, you might try writing a journal/diary about your journey. My suggestion is that you atleast end each entry with something that's wonderful about yourself. Because we are all wonderful in someway everyday.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

I have been keeping a food journal. I also have been giving myself mini goals so I can feel I have succeeded even it is just for a weekend of good eating or walking a couple times. I try not to punish myself when I have eaten something I shouldn't have and I don't even buy things that would be a temptation. Someone else also said not to rush things. If I don't see a loss I am not going to quit, I just have to realize this is a slow process.
Mattie2086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #13  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

My fiance' is the same way -- he was raised in Albania and he has this perfect, unspoiled metabolism and can eat and eat without a second thought and never gain an ounce, so as much as he supports and encourages me, he can only understand what I'm going through/what being fat since childhood is like to a certain point. He's a sweetie though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseheader View Post

I have talked to my husband on how i feel and he listens and offers words of encouragement but he can only understand so much. He's always been thin and he's the guy who can have cookies every night and not gain a thing.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote