Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Default Elliptical is HARD work!

I am still recovering from my sore hip joints, so I had to put my treadmill exercise on ice (though I am itching to start again). Last night, I went to the gym and put in 20 minutes on the elliptical. Wowsers, I had no idea how hard it was, I had barely any resistance and no program selected, etc. (this was my first time). By the end of the 20 minutes, sweat was pouring off of me, but it was a good cardio. After that, I did weights for 30 minutes.

I never knew how difficult elliptical was. I feel a bit un-coordinated on it, like my arms are not in sync with my legs, I hope I will get better.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/173/130

Height: 5'6

I totally hear you! When I first saw it I thought....wow that looks fun! haha more like wow that looks painful! I can't do 20 mins on it, but I have the resistance turned up pretty high...I'm thinking if I turn that down and maybe build myself up to it it won't be so bad
Ruby Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

It's funny how everyone has different experiences.

I actually find the elliptical easier to exercise on than the treadmill. I think in part because I have big boobs and loose fat around my tummy and hips ... so when I *run* on the treadmill, it's awkward and painful because everything bounces. And I can't get a good workout and get my heartrate up there unless I run.

OTOH, on the elliptical, I don't bounce, so I'm able to work much harder and really feel like I've accomplished something.

Hang in there - it does get easier. Last night I did HIIT on the elliptical and never had to hold on to the handrails once. I remember when I first started and I couldn't keep my balance long enough to wipe sweat out of my eyes. How things have changed!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
It's funny how everyone has different experiences.

I actually find the elliptical easier to exercise on than the treadmill. I think in part because I have big boobs and loose fat around my tummy and hips ... so when I *run* on the treadmill, it's awkward and painful because everything bounces. And I can't get a good workout and get my heartrate up there unless I run.

OTOH, on the elliptical, I don't bounce, so I'm able to work much harder and really feel like I've accomplished something.

Hang in there - it does get easier. Last night I did HIIT on the elliptical and never had to hold on to the handrails once. I remember when I first started and I couldn't keep my balance long enough to wipe sweat out of my eyes. How things have changed!

photochick - same with me! when I run on a flat surface all i can feel is the fat on my hips bouncing up and down. the girls stay in place, but i have this amazing sports bra (and it was actually a cheapo one from walmart) that i bought a cup size too small and it really does the job without being uncomfortable or too restricting. I can go forever on an elliptical though, and get a good workout because i don't feel like i'm being jarred as much.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #5  
Meg

Ellipticals rock! In addition to not flopping and flapping, people with joint and feet problems can still get an awesome workout. I may limp when I walk into the gym, but I can fly on the elliiptical!

And it definitely does get easier! I still remember doing my first 20 minutes on one, then having to sit in the locker room for 10 minutes before I could drive home because I thought I was going to pass out.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #6  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

See...I never find the ellipitical as effective. I've had the resistance and crossramp up quite high...I've done sprints... and it's still not nearly as good as the treadmill for me. I hurt my knee a few months ago and did my cardio on the elliptical and couldn't believe how hard it was to get my heart rate up to 85% of my max (I wear a heart rate monitor) and keep it there. It's fun how some machines are better for some people...
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #7  
Meg

Rockstar, next time you're on the elliptical, play around with the resistance. I can get my HR up higher if I'm not at a super-high resistance. When I get above Level 10 or 11, I feel like I'm leg pressing the darn thing and my HR doesn't go anywhere (plus my knees hurt, so I can't do it for long). If I do intervals between Level 6 and 10 and keep my strides per minute about 170, I can easily get my HR up to 95% of (old lady) max.

Also, changing the crossramp shouldn't affect your HR much, if at all. It just changes the muscles you're using. On the Precors, there are little lights on the silhouette of a body that shows which muscles are being targeted. A crossramp of 10 is flat, 1 - 9 are on a decline, and 11 - 20 are an incline. It's good to switch the crossramp up (as well as go backwards) but in my experience, an inclined crossramp won't do much to elevate your HR.

But you're right, it's funny how we're all different when it comes to exercise (and diet!)
Old 05-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #8  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
A crossramp of 10 is flat, 1 - 9 are on a decline, and 11 - 20 are an incline.
That I did not know . Haha. Thanks Meg!
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I like an elliptical because it's almost like running without the jarring of the joints. Although, i much prefer actually jogging. I can't stand the treadmill because i can't keep my balance without holding on to the handrails. Also, when i get off, i feel very uncordinated and sort of woosy. Always have this problem. Don't know why. It's only the treadmill that makes me feel like that. weird. But you can definately get a great workout on the elliptical. Maybe that's why i stay off of it. lol.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #10  
Meg

Don't feel bad, Rockstar! A friend of mine had a personal trainer -- who should have known better!! -- tell her to start out using a Precor on a resistance of 1 and crossramp of 1 because it would be easiest. Wrong! It just about destroyed her knees and calves because the decline was so extreme -- it was like doing it downhill. A resistance of 1 and crossramp of 10 is the place to start.

My knees feel best when I keep the crossramp between 5 and 10. It definitely hits your butt more when you're in the inclined numbers, but it just kills my knees.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #11  
Let's salsa!

Meg,

I swear, every time I look at your Before and After pictures and I see the photo of you in the red sports bra, I am thinking I gotta print this out and post it on my fridge as an inspiration!

Last edited by Tomato; 05-09-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #12  
Meg

Hey, Tomato, some day I'll be putting your photos up on my frig for inspiration!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/158/130

Height: 5'5

hey tomato!
it may be difficult in the beginning, but trust me, you'll get the hang of it and you will learn to love it!! it's definitely something that becomes easier with time.
beegoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 328/276/140

I bought an elliptical in March but wish I had bought one years ago. It's been absolutely fantastic to work up a good sweat in a tough workout that doesn't kill my knees.

The first couple of times I used it, I could barely do 10 min. I love how the weeks have gone by and I feel stronger and have much more energy. I'm up to 45 min 5 days a week - still low resistance - decided I will mix it up when I inevitably hit a plateau.
Boomcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #15  
Let's salsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcha View Post
I bought an elliptical in March but wish I had bought one years ago. It's been absolutely fantastic to work up a good sweat in a tough workout that doesn't kill my knees.

The first couple of times I used it, I could barely do 10 min. I love how the weeks have gone by and I feel stronger and have much more energy. I'm up to 45 min 5 days a week - still low resistance - decided I will mix it up when I inevitably hit a plateau.
That is awesome!!! You are doing great!
I will go to the gym again tomorrow or Tuesday, and tease the elliptical some more. When I got on it first (when I had my physical assessment upon joining the gym, I asked the trainer to show me how to activate it) I stayed on it for a couple of minutes and she said I was swiveling in my hips. I can feel it but I don't know how to stop it (Hopefully that's something I will get the hang of as well).