Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Good Cookbooks Anyone?

I recently got a chance to peruse the new "Hungry Girl Cookbook" and was pleasantly surprised to see that it listed sugar in the nutritional info for each recipe. There are a lot of good hints in the book and a wide variety. I don't think that I can eat some of the recipes, but a lot I can. I had my DH get his blood work from his physical this week because they started him on Crestor because his bad cholesterol was high and I wanted to know the rest of his labs. I'm an RN and know just enough to be dangerous!! LOL!! Well, his fasting blood sugar was borderline, a little thing that he forgot to mention to me. So, I've scheduled us for a nutritional consult and a heart healthy cooking class. He has alway and still does, have excellent healthy, but lots of crappy family health history. I have never forced my way of eating, which is kind of South Beachy since September. But, he is a meat, bread, and potato man and very, very active. Now to help slay his dragons, along with mine!!! Should be interesting. Last night we had braised liver and steamed veggies!! What a shock to his system. LOL! For a useless snack he had a PhillySwirl Swirl Stix Fudge Bars that had 57 cal., 10 sugars, 1 protein, and 12 carbs (No sugar alcohol) Believe me it is so much better than his nightly premium ice cream raids. I've been slowly, but firmly changing my grandkids and my children's food selections for family dinners and I'm sorry to say it hasn't always been a success. I also got a cookbook called "More-with-Less" by Doris Longacre and really enjoyed reading it yesterday. It has a lot of protein meals without meat and its goal is to teach you to eat better, but eat less world resources. And in this economy, it works for me. Sadly there is no nutritional information, but it is mennonite based and a very good read and was first published in the 1960s. On OH, there is a new Oatmeal Raisin cookie recipe with protein powder, soy flour, oats etc. Nutritional info looks pretty good on it. I think she tried about 3 or 4 times before she came up with this one. Michelle who goes by "Eggface" has many great recipes over on that site specifically for WLS people. I've tried many of them and they are excellent. I love her lasagna bake. She uses grilled zucchini strips for the noodles. Well, grandkids want breakfast and it is not even 7:00 a.m. yet!! LOL!! You all have a good and proteiny day.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

good for you, nancy!!!!! and now, to get nutritional information from the mennonite recipes, have you tried www.fitday.com? i think you can plug in a recipe and it'll spit out the gory nutritional details.

bottom line - anything we can do to get protein, veggies, and small amounts of good-quality carbs IS A GOOD THING!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

I get Rachael Rays magazine and there are alot of good recipes in there that are WLS friendly. Plus you can substitute some of the ingredients for others that are more friendly. I have not looked at any of her cookbooks though. Maybe checking some out of the library would be a good idea. I'm a basic eater and I usually make something seperate for myself and cook for the guys.

FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote